jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
Now I might be pushing this but, with recent talk of the Bulldog's Expanding The Western Oval and talks of them playing 'heritage' games there. Should Victoria Clubs, and AFL clubs in general, play 'heritage' games at their old Grounds. Yes this might be a bit outrageous but I kind of like the Idea. Seeing these clubs going back 'home' would be great to see. Now I'm not saying that it should be against big clubs or in the regular season. Im saying that they could do this against smaller clubs (Gold Coast, GWS....) and play some maybe in the Pre-Season. I would think that these game could draw 'Sell-out' crowds (yes, most of them only hold 10-20,000 but stick with me).
Now, I know that this will not happen (for now at least) but, i'm just putting it out there to see how people react.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Great. Even less potential games at the MCG/marvel.
No
Just no

Preseason ok
Why should you get to dictate where other clubs choose to play their home games?
Not really sure why you want to play games at Marvel over GMHBA, Princess Park, Western Oval or Junction Oval, because I know which ground I'd prefer to go to (hint: not docklands)

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Apart from Glenferrie (which is more the size of a soccer pitch than a footy oval) it probably could be done, many of them host VFL games so it’d be a similar thing with facilities having to be ramped right up (food, drink, toilets brought in etc).

Many would be bursting with crowds of 10k - 15k, so you’d be locking quite a few fans out.

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
here is what I was thinking...
Carlton: Princess Park (Can Happen)
Collingwood: Victoria Park (Probably Can???)
Essendon: Windy Hill (Maybe??)
Footscray: Western Oval (After Upgrade, Yes. Now, Probably can)
Geelong: Kardinia Park (Why is this an option)
Hawthorn: Glenferrie Oval (HELL NO), Waverley Park (Probably not possible)
Melbourne: MCG (why is this also an option??)
North Melbourne: Arden Street (Now, No. After the proposed upgrade, Maybe?)
Richmond: Punt road (Possibly)
St Kilda: Moorabinn (Probably Not) Junction however, (Possibly can)

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Why should you get to dictate where other clubs choose to play their home games?
Not really sure why you want to play games at Marvel over GMHBA, Princess Park, Western Oval or Junction Oval, because I know which ground I'd prefer to go to (hint: not docklands)
Marvel and mcg because they are finals venues in Melbourne

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

You can ultimately play at any of them. The surfaces etc are fine, and many of them host VFL games or local footy finals, which can attract crowds between 5k and 10k.

It’s just a question of how many people you want to lock out.

(Glenferrie aside. There’s no footy of any level being played on there).

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
1560215390030.png

yeah, nah

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sounds like it's only a good idea for the clubs with smaller fanbases i.e. North, Bulldogs and St Kilda, because building up to a stadium about the size of Princes Park could be used as leverage to gain a better deal with Marvel Stadium. Any other team would need to build a significantly bigger stadium to take their regular crowd.

But all quality stadiums are expensive and North clearly don't have the money. Moorabbin seems like it'd have way too many surrounding residents complaining to ever expand to that capacity. And Junction Oval has been fully taken over by cricket now. So I think it's only the Bulldogs who have a chance of doing it, we'll see if it happens.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
When the gf is always at a handful of clubs home ground other teams need guaranteed access to that ground.

Marvel however????

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
Big yes, been advocating for this since Last year.

Interstate teams should obvisouly all have A Home ground, but if your going to give Geelong home games at GMHBA, then collingwood, Carlton, North, Saints and Footscray should get to pay thier home games at thier home ground.

Princess Park and Vic Park should be the first two grounds to come back.
Then Arden street, Footscray to follow

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Big yes, been advocating for this since Last year.

Interstate teams should obvisouly all have A Home ground, but if your going to give Geelong home games at GMHBA, then collingwood, Carlton, North, Saints and Footscray should get to pay thier home games at thier home ground.

Princess Park and Vic Park should be the first two grounds to come back.
Then Arden street, Footscray to follow

Collingwood do not want to play home games at Victoria Park. They are quite happy playing 17+ games a year at the MCG where the finals are played and being the most attended club in the league.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Now I might be pushing this but, with recent talk of the Bulldog's Expanding The Western Oval and talks of them playing 'heritage' games there. Should Victoria Clubs, and AFL clubs in general, play 'heritage' games at their old Grounds. Yes this might be a bit outrageous but I kind of like the Idea. Seeing these clubs going back 'home' would be great to see. Now I'm not saying that it should be against big clubs or in the regular season. Im saying that they could do this against smaller clubs (Gold Coast, GWS....) and play some maybe in the Pre-Season. I would think that these game could draw 'Sell-out' crowds (yes, most of them only hold 10-20,000 but stick with me).
Now, I know that this will not happen (for now at least) but, i'm just putting it out there to see how people react.

None of the clubs can afford redevelopments. These venues are shitholes.

AFL makes big money out of games at MCG & Docklands.
AFL would make next to no money from games at other grounds.
AFL controls the fixture.

Anyone else see why there is no way this is going to happen?

When the gf is always at a handful of clubs home ground other teams need guaranteed access to that ground.

Marvel however????

But when you're ranting about Vic bias with the GF location, you say that makes next to no difference....

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras

Carlton - Princes Park - Yes. They've got 25,000 in for ALFW so why not for AFL. Still in pretty good nick
Collingwood - Victoria Park. No. One half of the ground open, would struggle to get the crowd in. Facilities would struggle. Maybe pre-season
Essendon - Windy Hill. See above
Footscray - Western Oval - maybe. Went to watch AFLW there earlier in the year and the atmosphere was great. Would struggle to take more than 15,000 fans though and the Doug Hawkins wing is totally open to the elements
Hawthorn - Glenferrie Oval and Waverley. No chance for either. Glenferrie couldn't handle the numbers and Waverley is essentially a park now.
North Melbourne - Arden Street. No - went to a pre-season game there and it was great but 3,000 people attended and that was close to capacity.
Richmond - fine for VFL - again would struggle with numbers for an AFL game
St Kilda - Moorabbin - not any more which is a shame because it had excellent grand stands and could fit a truck load of people in. I still think the Saints could have played out of there. Junction Oval - again too small.

So I end up with Princes Park as a yes and the Western Oval as a maybe and I reckon that's it.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
North Melbourne - Arden Street. No - went to a pre-season game there and it was great but 3,000 people attended and that was close to capacity.

North's plan with Arden St is to bulldoze buildings and streets that are adjacent to the existing oval and build a new one with higher capacity. I doubt it'll go ahead unless they're lucky with government funding though.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
North's plan with Arden St is to bulldoze buildings and streets that are adjacent to the existing oval and build a new one with higher capacity. I doubt it'll go ahead unless they're lucky with government funding though.

I thought that was to get it ready for AFLW - not sure it would be able to cope with AFL matches. Interesting to see if it does go ahead though - would be awesome to have at least one suburban AFL ground.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
The AFL,and Govt should have spent the millions wasted at North Ballarat Oval on the Western Oval as it would have been an ideal ground for smaller games that are now played at Ballarat and Marvel.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
What about Freo v WC @ Freo oval or WC v Freo @ Lathlain? If you know the answer why not then there's your answer for any vic club playing at their traditional home ground.

Geelong couldn't play a home final at their home ground because................................. there's your answer.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Carlton - Princes Park - Yes. They've got 25,000 in for ALFW so why not for AFL. Still in pretty good nick
Collingwood - Victoria Park. No. One half of the ground open, would struggle to get the crowd in. Facilities would struggle. Maybe pre-season
Essendon - Windy Hill. See above
Footscray - Western Oval - maybe. Went to watch AFLW there earlier in the year and the atmosphere was great. Would struggle to take more than 15,000 fans though and the Doug Hawkins wing is totally open to the elements
Hawthorn - Glenferrie Oval and Waverley. No chance for either. Glenferrie couldn't handle the numbers and Waverley is essentially a park now.
Richmond - fine for VFL - again would struggle with numbers for an AFL game
St Kilda - Moorabbin - not any more which is a shame because it had excellent grand stands and could fit a truck load of people in. I still think the Saints could have played out of there. Junction Oval - again too small.

So I end up with Princes Park as a yes and the Western Oval as a maybe and I reckon that's it.
surprised Princes park isnt used for AFL games>

Back