Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO he should be playing the Matt De Boer role as a pure tagger.

I agree, but....

De Boer is a genuine, tough, hard at it, uncompromising defensive tagger. Physical, annoying, not very agreeable, etc. This is why he's good at it.

Guthrie is the opposite of everything I've just said with regards to De Boer. He's basically a softy in how he approaches his footy, this is his general demeanoru too. This is clear. You know, he's such a lovely guy... There's your answer, Guthrie can't.

The key protagonists in here all wishing and praying he's dropped.

Your problem is you think we have something against him personally, I don't see that. You're taking our dislike for him as a player personally.

I want him dropped because I think Guthrie playing quality time in the midfield inhibits our chances at winning a flag - that's it. I couldn't really care less who it is, if a player is under-performing, they should improve or go. Guthrie has gotten a free pass more times than anyone I've seen along side Motlop.

Guthrie's inability to improve since 2016 (when he probably peaked), is in-part a failure of the club. I say they probably keep telling him he's great rather than working with him on his game to improve.

Your problem is you think we have something against him personally, I don't see that. You're taking our dislike for him as a player personally.

I want him dropped because I think Guthrie playing quality time in the midfield inhibits our chances at winning a flag - that's it. I couldn't really care less who it is, if a player is under-performing, they should improve or go. Guthrie has gotten a free pass more times than anyone I've seen along side Motlop.

Guthrie's inability to improve since 2016 (when he probably peaked), is in-part a failure of the club. I say they probably keep telling him he's great rather than working with him on his game to improve.

I agree, but....

De Boer is a genuine, tough, hard at it, uncompromising defensive tagger. Physical, annoying, not very agreeable, etc. This is why he's good at it.

Guthrie is the opposite of everything I've just said with regards to De Boer. He's basically a softy in how he approaches his footy, this is his general demeanoru too. This is clear. You know, he's such a lovely guy... There's your answer, Guthrie can't.
He’s not a tagger and he’s not a defensive mid either. He’s just a liability in the midfield. Look at what Houston did to kelly last night. If Guthrie could do half a good a job as that on the oppositions 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string midfielder that would would be great but he can’t. He doesn’t have the talent. So if the opposition applies a tag to one of our guys we’re left with 1 mid to do the heavy lifting.

Nah I just think you’re wrong. You have been for two years.

You're an embarrassment to the club if this is how you act after he has one average game after his ridiculous form this year.
He's been embarrassingly soft in all bar 1 and a half games this year. Both those games were after he returned to the side ... now he's comfortable again in the knowledge he's a coaches favourite and won't be dropped.

I don't see how that makes it personal.
Of course not. He’s just really really really interested in Guthrie. Nothing personal at all. Not even a bit obsessed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course not. He’s just really really really interested in Guthrie. Nothing personal at all. Not even a bit obsessed.
Obsessed about Guthrie, the player as a member of the Geelong football side, perhaps. I don't see how that transfers over to feelings about the player personally. It's entirely possible to scrutinise the work someone does and the way they contribute to a collective while divorcing yourself from feeling any ill sentiment towards the actual person. It seems profoundly difficult for some posters on here to grasp, but it occurs across a range of other mediums and isn't a particularly difficult concept to come to terms with. Cameron Guthrie the player is different from Cameron Guthrie the man, and it's completely fair and reasonable that someone who wants to see the GFC do well would direct criticism towards the former if they felt they were hindering such pursuits of success.

Obsessed about Guthrie, the player as a member of the Geelong football side, perhaps. I don't see how that transfers over to feelings about the player personally. It's entirely possible to scrutinise the work someone does and the way they contribute to a collective while divorcing yourself from feeling any ill sentiment towards the actual person. It seems profoundly difficult for some posters on here to grasp, but it occurs across a range of other mediums and isn't a particularly difficult concept to come to terms with. Cameron Guthrie the player is different from Cameron Guthrie the man, and it's completely fair and reasonable that someone who wants to see the GFC do well would direct criticism towards the former if they felt they were hindering such pursuits of success.
Happy for you to put forward a more compelling hypothesis than obsession for the two posters that post exclusively on the topic of Guthrie. I’m all ears.

Happy for you to put forward a more compelling hypothesis than obsession for the two posters that post exclusively on the topic of Guthrie. I’m all ears.

Anyone can search and see for themselves whether what you've said here is correct or not.

I'm more interested in people's obsession with what I have to post on Guthrie, certainly considering how wrong I am.

It seems a lot, LOT more people are also wrong on Guthrie now too. A growing list.

I'd like to see a switch between Guthrie and Atkins. While Atkins has been solid this year, he hasn't kicked enough goals to classify him as a small forward, and hasn't played enough minutes in the middle to call him a midfielder.

I'd love to see Atkins start in the middle and tag a Crouch brother for the whole game this coming Friday. Was Atkins our designated tagger in the twos last year?

I think it was 2015 or 2016, there were some games that Guthrie actually played the old Max Rooke defensive half forward role, and wasn't that bad at it. I would really like to see him given a chance in this role again for an extended period of time. Now is the time to test some different roles for players. We need to know that Plan Bs can actually work before September.

They are passionate about Geelong succeeding, and do not see success occurring while Guthrie gets regular games due to consistent poor performances and patterns of on-field actions not conducive to finals success. Pretty easy, I would think.

They are passionate about Geelong succeeding, and do not see success occurring while Guthrie gets regular games due to consistent poor performances and patterns of on-field actions not conducive to finals success. Pretty easy, I would think.
I wish I could see if you said that with a straight face.

So i have thoughts on Guth and I've watched him closely the last few weeks, he is such a frustrating player as he actually is very important for our side with how we are playing currently.. He works hard when we have the ball to get free and into a position to be a link in the chain... The problem with this is that also gets a lot of cheap not overly dangerous ball that are kicks from half back.. And he takes a safe option going short most of the time as well... When we are under the pump this is exaggerated as he doesn't take risk.. When we are playing well he looks more dangerous because generally the side has more space and freedom when the side is playing well.

He's never going to win a B&F or be a top 10 player in the side, but he's not really the devil some here make out either.

I'd love to see him be smarter though when we don't have it, he rolls the dice and pushes forward too often which looks great if we win it but looks awful if we don't, it's why at times he can be seen to be trailing a player from a stoppage and not appearing to be trying.. He's out of the contest the moment it goes against us. Him even just taking the defensive position a bit more would make a world of difference IMO.

Got a giggle out of me.....

So i have thoughts on Guth and I've watched him closely the last few weeks, he is such a frustrating player as he actually is very important for our side with how we are playing currently.. He works hard when we have the ball to get free and into a position to be a link in the chain... The problem with this is that also gets a lot of cheap not overly dangerous ball that are kicks from half back.. And he takes a safe option going short most of the time as well... When we are under the pump this is exaggerated as he doesn't take risk.. When we are playing well he looks more dangerous because generally the side has more space and freedom when the side is playing well.

He's never going to win a B&F or be a top 10 player in the side, but he's not really the devil some here make out either.

I'd love to see him be smarter though when we don't have it, he rolls the dice and pushes forward too often which looks great if we win it but looks awful if we don't, it's why at times he can be seen to be trailing a player from a stoppage and not appearing to be trying.. He's out of the contest the moment it goes against us. Him even just taking the defensive position a bit more would make a world of difference IMO.

I'm getting frustrated with Cam - I'm not quite at Kersten level frustration but it's getting close:mad:

Apart from not hurting when he has the footy the defensive intent that was there when he first came back has gone missing.
It's Junior footy 101 that you look at the hips and get in close so you can tackle with intent and wrap your opponent up - Cam relies on his arms only and never gets in close enough to crunch and bring his opponent down. That's a huge liability when we are constantly in deficit for clearances.

I'd like to see Atkins , Menegola or even Fogarty have a go at that role in order to determine what our best 22 is before finals.
I think the Pies and GWS midfields will worry us big time if we continue to carry a passenger in a key role like that :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back