Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
He only needed one quarter that’s how good it was. Throw in a mark of the week nomination. All that was missing was a goal of the week nomination.

Hayward got his nomination for 3 kicks for 3 goals.
No, that’s how poor every other rookie must have been. The kid himself said he was playing poorly (very quiet)!

I bet he did (24 touches) and I’ll also guarantee that his effort was far better...and he didn’t even get a rising star!

Mates who barrack for the Cats still shudder about Nick Bloody Davis.

There is much to admire about Nick. Chief among these is footy smarts. He just looks a natural to me.

When he has the ball, he makes sound decisions. I trust him with set shots more than any other Blood. In fact I reach for the pen to ink it in when he is going back to start his run-in.

I admire his toughness. Even in the JLT many of us noted how he responded to being roughed up. Nothing has changed in the regular season. He just bounces up when hurt.

For a tall lad he is clean with his hands when the ball is below his knees.

Of course we won't see the best of him for another three to four years. He has a long way to go. His dad improved over the course of his career and was still effective when he retired. Nick starts on a much higher base than John.

Bloods fans (and other footy fans) have much to look forward to.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Only on this board is someone upset about one of our own getting praise lol.

He looks a better prospect than most nominations this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who’s upset about the nomination? If anyone thinks he played a great game, they are kidding themselves, it was a good quarter only. All the best to him but that game is not as worthy of the majority of other nominations.

Been reading a lot of ‘about time’ and ‘kid is a star’ comments, not only on here but social media but when has he deserved the recognition? He’s a dozen games in, averaging around 8 possessions per game...let’s not get carried away with the praise just yet!

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Who’s upset about the nomination? If anyone thinks he played a great game, they are kidding themselves, it was a good quarter only. All the best to him but that game is not as worthy of the majority of other nominations.

Been reading a lot of ‘about time’ and ‘kid is a star’ comments, not only on here but social media but when has he deserved the recognition? He’s a dozen games in, averaging around 8 possessions per game...let’s not get carried away with the praise just yet!

Pretty common for RS nominations to be based on more than just the one particular week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C"mon Mick. The kid has shown bits and pieces. When he has the ball I trust him to use it better than any other Blood. Personally I don't give a rat's about the RS. What I do GAFA are the indications of the lad's attributes, some of which I outlined earlier.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
C"mon Mick. The kid has shown bits and pieces. When he has the ball I trust him to use it better than any other Blood. Personally I don't give a rat's about the RS. What I do GAFA are the indications of the lad's attributes, some of which I outlined earlier.
The RS is a weekly nomination of recognition of a good game. It was a good quarter of football as mentioned above. And DA is incorrect re nomination over a couple of games (any rookie who puts in a good game can win it...even a first gamer!).

You are correct, he has shown bits n pieces but that’s all they are, bits n pieces. Where’s the game consistency like Mills and Hannebery and Goodes and Walsh and McGrath, Stephenson et al? Worthy of RS nomination? No. Only rookie that looked like he did ‘something’ (bits n pieces) this week? That’s all it could be!

This is from wiki (I know):

Every round, a nomination is given to a standout young player who performed well during that particular round.

Even Blakey admitted he was quiet and one quarter (as proven) does not make a good game...it makes a very ordinary one look ok and the stars in your eyes glisten apparently.

The RS is a weekly nomination of recognition of a good game. It was a good quarter of football as mentioned above. And DA is incorrect re nomination over a couple of games (any rookie who puts in a good game can win it...even a first gamer!).

You are correct, he has shown bits n pieces but that’s all they are, bits n pieces. Where’s the game consistency like Mills and Hannebery and Goodes and Walsh and McGrath, Stephenson et al? Worthy of RS nomination? No. Only rookie that looked like he did ‘something’ (bits n pieces) this week? That’s all it could be!

This is from wiki (I know):

Every round, a nomination is given to a standout young player who performed well during that particular round.

Even Blakey admitted he was quiet and one quarter (as proven) does not make a good game...it makes a very ordinary one look ok and the stars in your eyes glisten apparently.

Agree Mick. The aptly initialled RS is an award for fans and player managers.

The Nom gave me no jollies. Nonetheless I am delighted he has shown as much as he has in his first year, when he is shaped as a French Bean.

RS is a popular vote and not much else, and has been tainted ever since David King rigged it for cash with Lewis Taylor.

VijoMorganstein

Debutant
Aug 1, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
If we're all honest the weekly RS nom almost never goes the player with the best eligible performance of the round and that there's a fair bit of hype involved in who gets it, but happy for Blakey regardless. Surely only a matter of time until Dawson gets one too

Back