2018/19 Melbourne Victory Thread - The Four Time Honda Driven Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I would be very surprised if it isn't Kurtz. Which I'd be happy with. +1 for handing in my membership if it's Aloisi.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Victory turn to arch enemy for Muscat replacement
David Davutovic, Herald Sun

Former Adelaide United boss Marco Kurz will become Melbourne Victory’s sixth coach, replacing club great Kevin Muscat.
Victory are expected to ratify the appointment on Tuesday, with Kurz beating a group of high-calibre, mainly overseas contenders to sign a multi-year deal.
It’s understood that Kurz had emerged as the clear favourite of Victory’s coach selection panel, which included chairman Anthony Di Pietro, over a week ago but they’ve since been negotiating personal terms.

Ex Melbourne City and Brisbane Roar coach John Aloisi was understood to be the only local option that made the final six-man shortlist after dozens of strong options were considered.

Kurz, 50, has been in talks with Victory since May, when he stayed in Australia for several weeks after his Adelaide contract expired.

He will quickly turn his attention to plugging the many gaps on Victory’s roster after a host of exits, including Keisuke Honda, Georg Niedermeier, Raul Baena, Kosta Barbarouses and possibly James Troisi, who is out of contract.

The German enjoyed some epic duels with Muscat’s Victory in his two seasons at Adelaide before he was controversially released, despite a penalty shootout standing between United and a grand final appearance.

Kurz, who has German Bundesliga experience, was a popular figure with his United players while also upping the training intensity and made two FFA Cup finals, winning in 2018.

A defender who played for Borussia Dortmund, Schalke and 1860 Munich, Kurz carved his coaching teeth at 1860 Munich and Kaiserslautern, where he won promotion with Kaiserslautern in 2009-10.

He later coached Hoffenheim, Ingolstadt and Fortuna Dusseldorf before moving to Australia.

Kurz has been a passionate figure on the A-League sidelines but appeared to fall out with Adelaide’s new owners midway through last season, conceding they lacked a “common vision” before the club announced that they would not extend his contract.

He was in contention for the Brisbane Roar job, before they opted to sign Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler.

A safe but probably the right option he knows the league and with the resources Victory will throw his way I think it has the potential to become a very successful partnership. Thoughts?

Also thank * we didn't go for Aloisi I would not have renewaled my Membership!

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Call it whatever you want, it's still musical chairs. Not disappointed, just expected a club like ours to think outside the box for a change.

Put me in this boat too. We're the league's biggest team. We should be blazing trails, not recycling lesser teams cast offs.

I guess it's not really something we've ever done though, we've always gone with safe choices.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Wonder why the club hasn't announced anything yet? Brisbane have been on a signing spree, Sydney were quick to announce Kosta, every day there is another story about a Phoenix player leaving (Singh to Bayern today, congrats to the bloke), but haven't heard a peep from us. We were slow to announce Honda and the other signings last season too. Hopefully we'll announce a few things at the same time.

And any chance Kurz could bring Goodwin with him? Lol. Similar temperament to Kev so the bench should be just as animated. I wonder if they'll make him wear the Mirabella suit? Or will be get a Mirabella tracksuit? :D

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
90% of Adelaide fans wanted Kurz to stay, we loved him, our list last year was quite poor and he got us a FFA cup and a penalty shootout from the grandfinal.

Im sure if given the adequate support by a board he'll do great things.

I wish Kurz all the best even if its coaching you lot

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Put me in this boat too. We're the league's biggest team. We should be blazing trails, not recycling lesser teams cast offs.

I guess it's not really something we've ever done though, we've always gone with safe choices.

Kurz isn't your typical cast off. Adelaide are stupid for letting him go.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep MV have done well with Kurz IMO. He's passionate, and I'm sure with the budget available at MV he'll deliver which is a pain to say!

Did hear he wasn't the most popular with the players but hard asses usually aren't. He still does get results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back