List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

I do like Jeka. I put him down a fair bit after his injury but thought he played real well on the weekend. Good repeat leading, good pace on the lead, strong mark. Needs to kick better. Is gonna be a big unit in a few years time.

Today its:

1. Anderson
2. Rowell
3. Young
4. Flanders
5. Worrell
6. Stephens
7. Serong
8. Gould
9. Green
10. O'Neill
11. Sharp
12. Jackson
13. Ash
14. Robertson
15. Taheny
16. Cassar
17. Kemp
18. Jeka
19. Williams
20. McAsey

Will probably change again tomorrow!

If you had to order these players in terms of their ability to hunt and win the football (for key position players, it would be intent to either mark or at least bring the ball to ground), how would you rank them?

If you had to order these players in terms of their ability to hunt and win the football (for key position players, it would be intent to either mark or at least bring the ball to ground), how would you rank them?

Rowell
Green
Robertson
Anderson
Young
Flanders
Serong
Gould
Ash
O'Neill
Worrell
Jackson
Kemp
Stephens
McAsey
Jeka
Williams
Cassar
Taheny
Sharp

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
CLUBS will not be able to trade draft picks any further than a year in advance during this year's exchange period, despite a push to further open up player movement.

Since 2015, AFL rules have allowed clubs to be able to trade future draft picks one year in advance.

CLUBS will not be able to trade draft picks any further than a year in advance during this year's exchange period, despite a push to further open up player movement.

Since 2015, AFL rules have allowed clubs to be able to trade future draft picks one year in advance.

I guess we can thank Carlton for being the dumb pricks/case study in why no club should be allowed to trade away their entire future

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I do like Jeka. I put him down a fair bit after his injury but thought he played real well on the weekend. Good repeat leading, good pace on the lead, strong mark. Needs to kick better. Is gonna be a big unit in a few years time.

Looks top heavy and I’ll wager he has no ground game nor will develop one but if you’re matching him with a kf that’s excellent on the ground like Marshall that wouldn’t bother me.

However I could see how Jeka wouldn’t ever ever get a chance under Hinkley

Looks top heavy and I’ll wager he has no ground game nor will develop one but if you’re matching him with a kf that’s excellent on the ground like Marshall that wouldn’t bother me.
How about a scrappy rover who’s probably played with him before?

I wonder if Zaq’s told Jeka how much he’s lovin it yet

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've got Finlay at 46 at the moment. Not 100% settled on his spot. I feel he'll end up higher

I thought all the sa defenders looked draftable. Is there any chance day ends up being a high draft pick? I don't know if it's just because he is skinny but I get the vibe there is a lot of potential there.

Rowell
Green
Robertson
Anderson
Young
Flanders
Serong
Gould
Ash
O'Neill
Worrell
Jackson
Kemp
Stephens
McAsey
Jeka
Williams
Cassar
Taheny
Sharp

These guys:

Stephens
Williams
Worrell

Tell me more about them please :)

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

And thank Christ for that. I shudder at what Choco would have done with future picks when trying to hold on at the end. I worry what Hinkley would do with multi-year trading to try and sneak into finals trading picks to burn our future if there were more than 1 year allowed.

Picks should go the way of the dodo anyway IMO
Rehashing what I've posted several times.
1. Award clubs firstly the total number of points they currently get for picks, based on finishing position (using the existing Pick / point table).
2. Any future points traded away / in, then are adjusted to this for the current draft.
3. The draft becomes an auction in reverse finish order. Last through first nominate a player. Anyone can bid on them using their points. Winning bid takes that many off their total.
4. Father sons and Academy picks, anyone can bid for. The club the player is linked to only pays 75% of the cost. E.g. if they bid 2000 points only 1500 comes off their total. Can bid on any number of Father/Sons and Academy picks, but in practise would usually only be able to get 1 top shelf player at a discount given any other club can chase.
5. Trades can involve points, as they do picks at present. And given clubs would have points not picks, it'd reduce the week of s**t of club A has pick's 10 and 20 and club B has a player they both agree is worth pick 15 and there's a week of 'Give us 10', 'No, take 20', 'No, give us 10', until it falls through or another club is roped in. With points that situation disappears.
6a. Trades can involve just points, like they can just picks now. E.g. 1000 points from this year for 1000 from next year. Say this year is particularly strong for inside mid's and next year for KPD's. If you've two clubs that one needs inside mid's, the other KPD's then a trade can be a win-win.
6b. I'd make it so clubs have to keep at least 25% of their initial points allocation each year for drafting.
6c. Clubs would be able to trade future points up to 3 years in advance, but it'd be 1 year - up to 50%, 2nd year - up to 25%, 3rd year - up to 10%. So to help facilitate trades, but not cluster* a list in one fell swoop.
7. Once a club has used all their draft points, they can still bid on players until their list is full, but any club with points trumps them.
8. The draft goes as now, until no one wants to draft anymore players. The Rookie list would just get rolled into a larger list size.

It'd remove numerous issues with the current setup around trading each year and helps prevent clubs from screwing themselves over (though if it wasn't for Adelaide's benefit watching Carlton shoot themselves in the foot would be amusing).

However I could see how Jeka wouldn’t ever ever get a chance under Hinkley

Yeah i'm not sure he's the best fit for us and its likely we'll be picking before his range anyway. There's a lot of top heavy KPF's at AFL level with poor ground game - Kennedy and Hawkins are two examples. He's had a stop start year, keen to see how he goes in the back half of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These guys:

Stephens
Williams
Worrell

Tell me more about them please :)

Stephens is a quick outside type but also has reasonable inside game. Think Whitfield. Hard runner, very good kick, great pace, hits targets, works hard. Would be perfect for us. Has had some big games at SANFL seniors already. Needs a bit more size but he's potentially a very special player.

Williams is a Rozee clone. Very athletic medium forward with a big leap, good pace off the mark, plenty of x-factor, loads of midfield potential. Not too dissimilar to a Wingard really. I've got him pretty low in the rankings (was top 5 at the start of the year and in the running for pick 1), maybe too low and I might be doing him a disservice. He's one i've got a big asterisk on as he's improved his output from his (very good) bottom age year, but not as much as I would have thought. Can go missing in games for long periods. But, is also one of the best match winners out there too.

Worrell is a hard one to pick who he plays like. I guess he's like Westhoff in that he can play anywhere pretty well. He's looked good as a key defender, has looked damaging on a wing and has played well as a key forward. Looks a little laconic because he's got a bit of a lopey running style but he's incredibly good. I like him on a wing or up forward as opposed to key back, but could see him becoming a good 3TD as well.

Stephens is a quick outside type but also has reasonable inside game. Think Whitfield. Hard runner, very good kick, great pace, hits targets, works hard. Would be perfect for us. Has had some big games at SANFL seniors already. Needs a bit more size but he's potentially a very special player.

Williams is a Rozee clone. Very athletic medium forward with a big leap, good pace off the mark, plenty of x-factor, loads of midfield potential. Not too dissimilar to a Wingard really. I've got him pretty low in the rankings (was top 5 at the start of the year and in the running for pick 1), maybe too low and I might be doing him a disservice. He's one i've got a big asterisk on as he's improved his output from his (very good) bottom age year, but not as much as I would have thought. Can go missing in games for long periods. But, is also one of the best match winners out there too.

Worrell is a hard one to pick who he plays like. I guess he's like Westhoff in that he can play anywhere pretty well. He's looked good as a key defender, has looked damaging on a wing and has played well as a key forward. Looks a little laconic because he's got a bit of a lopey running style but he's incredibly good. I like him on a wing or up forward as opposed to key back, but could see him becoming a good 3TD as well.

Stephens - Whitfield clone? Yes please.

Williams - When you say he's like Rozee and Wingard - which one is he more like? What I mean is - if he's not getting his hands on the ball, does he do the team things like Rozee, or does he sulk a bit like Wingard because he thinks players should be passing him the ball? Would he be able to play high forward?

Worrell - does he have good closing speed? Could he play a Chad Cornes style wingback CHB role and replace Jonas eventually - which would allow us to play Howard up forward with Frampton and Marshall as the roaming CHF?

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Challenge accepted

Robertson is a very good chance. He’s a genuine inside ball winner who gut runs. I don’t know how good he will be but it’s hard not to see him playing afl.

Rantall and dow I can’t read very well either way.

Yeah pretty much. Set isn’t the right word. Ive been actively looking very hard for reasons why he will make it. I’ve watched him for a couple of years now including those 2 grand finals last year. I pointed out the things I liked very much but expressed concerns. This year pretty much solidified those concerns. There’s still a chance he becomes something but he probably needs to become a Travis Boak level runner, which looks unlikely, or a Ollie wines level extractor, which also looks unlikely. If he doesn’t become elite at running or stoppages I can’t see him making it. His first champs game was horrible to be honest. This game where he played onballer showed his inside ability a bit, but he doesn’t look anywhere near as good as drew or atley inside. Not creative by handball release, not able to break free of congestion. Not able to outbody guys like wines or Rockliff can.

Eh hopefully I’m wrong. Would love to be wrong.

Fair enough explanation, but I am more bullish on him. I think he's enough of a standout at this level to be worthy of being positive as to his AFL aspirations, just seems to do a lot right to me - gets to the right spots, links up well, skills are good, does his bit inside, nice size. Anyway we will see.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
If Stephens is available at out pick then he’s the one. No need to over think it.

Worrell - does he have good closing speed? Could he play a Chad Cornes style wingback CHB role and replace Jonas eventually - which would allow us to play Howard up forward with Frampton and Marshall as the roaming CHF?
I’d be curious to know how quick Worrell is too. Gut feel is he’s probably bottom quartile over 20m. Not the end of the world as he’s a very good footballer but it does make me a little nervous pick a slowish tall without a fixed position. I do like him though.

Stephens - Whitfield clone? Yes please.

Williams - When you say he's like Rozee and Wingard - which one is he more like? What I mean is - if he's not getting his hands on the ball, does he do the team things like Rozee, or does he sulk a bit like Wingard because he thinks players should be passing him the ball? Would he be able to play high forward?

Williams is more like Wingard at the moment. I don't think he sulks, I just don't think he keeps invovled in the play enough.

Worrell - I think he could play that wingback role, but not sure it would be his best position

2001 was an amazing draft year. 2002 was, well, shitty. Full of players that didn’t get much of a crack because the year ahead was so good. Full of players with big deficiencies. And a ‘good year for SA draftees’. And yeah, going through the list its just so much Who Is That.

2018 was an amazing draft year. 2019 is...

I haven’t sat down with tapes yet but a draft where a 190cm chunk like Gould is talked about as a first round tall defender makes me worry. In good drafts, 190cm is a mid.

Is this a draft with a couple good mids and flankers, and then a Citizens On Patrol-esque assortment of talented randos that could go anywhere from pick 10 to 90, and mostly be gone from AFL minds within three years?

You think this year is bad - consider that a lot of the players who got overlooked last year are still playing this year.

That means that next year the draft is going to be astonishingly bad, because there isn't the talent coming up from underneath in the bottom agers.

Coincidentally, if you go by the theory that a kid will display talent at around 8-9 years of age, that means that the years that Gold Coast and GWS came into the competition are exactly the reason why these drafts are bad. Imagine if you're 8 years old and you're thinking of playing football as a career, and then you see GWS and Gold Coast getting smashed every week?

I'd change career path too.

You think this year is bad - consider that a lot of the players who got overlooked last year are still playing this year.

That means that next year the draft is going to be astonishingly bad, because there isn't the talent coming up from underneath in the bottom agers.

Yeah that doesn't mean that at all. There aren't any more top age players playing this year than any other year and almost all the draftable ones just got drafted anyway.

There's also a good amount of bottom aged players playing NAB League, as much as any other year.

Yeah that doesn't mean that at all. There aren't any more top age players playing this year than any other year and almost all the draftable ones just got drafted anyway.

There's also a good amount of bottom aged players playing NAB League, as much as any other year.

It’s going to be bad. You watch.

2018 was an amazing draft year. 2019 is...

on par with 2015 and 2017. Just normal. Not great, not bad, just average. Worst draft for talls possibly ever which might make it a bit worse.

Is this a draft with a couple good mids and flankers, and then a Citizens On Patrol-esque assortment of talented randos that could go anywhere from pick 10 to 90, and mostly be gone from AFL minds within three years?

Quite likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back