Bounce Time
4:35pm Australian Eastern Time​

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who's in/out after the bye?
The club is really talking up Hanley and Miller, as well as Murdoch and Young. They certainly among the pacier players at the club, which might bring Heron and Nutting into the conversation if speed is what they are looking for.

I really think we are in the dark on selection policy after such a dramatic selection reversal for the Saints. Will it be another side balanced for age and experience or will they go for the best available or are there match-ups that warrant certain players? We just don't know.

One thing I'd really like to see is as many of the guys who played in the game last year selected again. 12 guys are currently in the side and 3 others fit and available.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The committee selection against Swans is pretty easy in my opinion.

Miller replaces GHS.

If Hanley is ready he goes straight in too. Who he replaces is the only issue. My candidates are Joyce (who is starting to deliver on his 1st year promise) or Ellis (who was OK in his first game and I expect him to get more games).

Rankine, Murdoch, Young play NEAFL if ready.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The committee selection against Swans is pretty easy in my opinion.

Miller replaces GHS.

If Hanley is ready he goes straight in too. Who he replaces is the only issue. My candidates are Joyce (who is starting to deliver on his 1st year promise) or Ellis (who was OK in his first game and I expect him to get more games).

Rankine, Murdoch, Young play NEAFL if ready.
The thing is that Joyce and Ellis played well enough to keep their places, so it isn't that straightforward. You may be right, but it could as easily be Sexton or Lukosius or Powell.

Broad consensus on GHS, who will be a valuable inclusion to the NEAFL team.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The thing is that Joyce and Ellis played well enough to keep their places, so it isn't that straightforward. You may be right, but it could as easily be Sexton or Lukosius or Powell.

Good problem to have, but only one. Hopefully, no more new injuries. Rankine, Collins, Lemmens will create more selection headaches against Richmond hopefully. I can't see dropping Lukosius, Powell especially after bye. Suns will be putting as many games as possible into them this year.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears

As poor as Secco has been lately he is our only consistent avenue to goal. Our forward line is still very much in its infancy as a group and he has kicked a goal in every game bar 1 this year. As much as i agree he almost needs a spell, we need all the help we can get up forward

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Opponent kind of limited Sexton ability to snap goal, prove by his 24 goal and 20 behind. He need to find another way to get goal when not on his prefer position.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As poor as Secco has been lately he is our only consistent avenue to goal. Our forward line is still very much in its infancy as a group and he has kicked a goal in every game bar 1 this year. As much as i agree he almost needs a spell, we need all the help we can get up forward
It is often all about accountability with Sexton. The number of times he's burnt teammates to blaze away at goal and missed could have actually cost the side a win or 3. Don't get me wrong because I am a big Sexton fan and defended him when others have said his two way running and workrate was down, but since then over 50 goals and some game winning performances have justified the faith that Dew has had in him. It is possible that only 2 players are dropped to allow Miller and Hanley back in, but I think the bye could bring some selection shocks.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
There’s no way the Ugly Ducks will take us lightly.
With Collins and Thompson Out what a blessing that Franklin has done his hamstring.

Anyone going???
Likely to be but depends on the missus as I have been travelling a lot and if she doesn’t want to go I’m not going to push her

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also Sexton had a great run at the start of the year until the oppo started putting a decent defender on him (pretty sure most didn’t know who he was until he was leading the Coleman) - now learning how to play through a tougher defender.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How people feel about this game? Ah Chee injury sucks but Miller and Hanley are quality additions. Suns should benefit greatly from bye and if we bring the intensity from the start I am actually reasonably confident about our chances. Swans vs Hawks was very average game especially the first half. Both team jogging around early. Another learning lesson for Brodie possibly playing on Kennedy who is back but looks limited by his knee.

A bit surprised that Swans expect Sinclair to play. He had a Powell like concussion against Hawks.

Time to watch Rankine in NEAFL at 11:30am on game day!

Last edited:

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How people feel about this game? Ah Chee injury sucks but Miller and Hanley are quality additions. Suns should benefit greatly from bye and if we bring the intensity from the start I am actually reasonably confident about our chances. Swans vs Hawks was very average game especially the first half. Both team jogging around early. Another learning lesson for Brodie possibly playing on Kennedy who is back but looks limited by his knee.

A bit surprised that Swans expect Sinclair to play. He had a Powell like concussion against Hawks.

Time to watch Rankine in NEAFL at 11:30am on game day!
Full game out of Miller and Hanley super important for morale, what an awful way to lose Ah Chee after a good start back into the seniors.
Even with pretty limited expectations, given where he's starting from, I'm genuinely excited to see Rankine line up with the NEAFL boys (Finaly!).

Back