Expansion Giants seek US game for points

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I don't mind it. Much better market than NZ or China. At least you'd have Aussies and curious Americans who like sport, attend the game.
Would need to be in California though for the time difference. i.e a 7PM or 8PM start in California, would be a 12PM or 1PM start for TV in Oz Eastern states. Couldn't do it in New York.
The other option would be London. Midday start in the UK for a 9PM TV start in Oz Eastern.

I don't mind it. Much better market than NZ or China. At least you'd have Aussies and curious Americans who like sport, attend the game.
Would need to be in California though for the time difference. i.e a 7PM or 8PM start in California, would be a 12PM or 1PM start for TV in Oz Eastern states. Couldn't do it in New York.
The other option would be London. Midday start in the UK for a 9PM TV start in Oz Eastern.

Paywall

8pm game in New York would be fine. 10am AEST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think gate receipts is the measure of success? That won't cover it....
Of course not. Would be bank rolled by the AFL, like China.

My point is that you'd get more interest, attendees and TV viewers to a game in the US, than you would in China. Which would lead to more memberships being bought (not just for GWS) and potentially more players drafted from the US.

Personally, I'd like to see the US experiment with an AFL Women's game being played there first for premiership points.

Could even do it as a double-header women's fixture in mid/late January - avoiding the problem of playing in Melbourne while the Oz Open is on.

A daytime women's double-header in California then would be 12pm (PST) to 5pm = 7am to 12pm (AEDT)
A twilight/night women's double-header in California then would be 5pm (PST) to 10pm = 12pm to 5pm (AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back