MRP / Trib. MRP 2019

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think they have an out here. They can say it was head contact of a sort, basically validate the umpire's call, but downgrade the force to negligible and throw a fine at him ... not sure if the criteria allows for that, haven't checked, but that should be doable in this instance.

BTW, I watch a lot of US Basket Ball, NFL and bits of the others - there isn't a sport that is as hard to umpire as AFL, not helped with inept leadership and rule setting, but fact is this is a nightmare sport to officiate. Got to live with that, but consistency in matters such as the tribunal and MRO should be far more possible ... but again, AFL can't seem to work it out.

I disagree. Baseball is a nightmare to umpire. Rules are more cut and dry, but the strike zone is pretty much a grey area. Btw umpires need to maintain about a 95% correct call ratio to keep their job in MLB. All of it is scrutinized

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Lockhart now being questioned by AFL counsel Andrew Woods - "is it correct you have no desire to see Walters lose a game".

Lockhart: "correct".

Boy these AFL players are dumb. The right answer would be:

"Whether I want Walters loses a game or not has nothing to do with the question, I was just answering the question"

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Medical report is only relevant if they're taking consequence in to consideration, which they don't ... oh wait, yes they do, they always do ... except sometimes they don't, its the intent, but only when intent can't be determined which is what the guidelines state, that it's about the outcome and the intent of the action and sufficient force to warrant outcomes of intent that is what the intent is. So the outcome doesn't matter in this instance if Michael Christian doesn't want it to, except when he does.

It's quite clear really, I don't see where the issue is.

That’s exactly what you get if you’ve listened to Christian over the course of the season so far and joined all his sentences together. Uncanny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Laughable if he gets pinged given other incidents have used the negligent force angle and got off for similar unsportsmanlike acts (Abletts flying elbows) Wouldn’t mind seeing them all get a week in the future but on precedence you can’t suspend him.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I rarely read anything in these tribunals that indicate these QCs do their job of properly defending the players.
For example, when Deboy says: "If you're judging between severe and low, yes ... but it was a headbutt of enough force and impact to be a reportable offence." ... my immediate thought is Freo's defense should be objecting and stating that an umpire should be judging between negligible and severe, not low and severe. You see, our defence has allowed Deboy to now sow a seed that a headbutt must be classified as a minimum of low impact and the only real way Walters is going to get out of this suspension is to win the argument that it wasn't low, it was negligible.

I rarely read anything in these tribunals that indicate these QCs do their job of properly defending the players.
For example, when Deboy says: "If you're judging between severe and low, yes ... but it was a headbutt of enough force and impact to be a reportable offence." ... my immediate thought is Freo's defense should be objecting and stating that an umpire should be judging between negligible and severe, not low and severe. You see, our defence has allowed Deboy to now sow a seed that a headbutt must be classified as a minimum of low impact and the only real way Walters is going to get out of this suspension is to win the argument that it wasn't low, it was negligible.

Or not everything said is on the Live feed, you only get what the reporter thinks is newsworthy.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
QC has always been pretty passive. Hardly argumentative either. Never feel comfortable when we go to tribunal with him

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I disagree. Baseball is a nightmare to umpire. Rules are more cut and dry, but the strike zone is pretty much a grey area. Btw umpires need to maintain about a 95% correct call ratio to keep their job in MLB. All of it is scrutinized

Yes true, did cross my mind when posted that, and I don't watch much baseball these days so I'm not sure how bad it is - but still, I stand by the statement. There is a clear rule as to what in and out of the zone is, they get it wrong for sure, and you can understand why, but it's still clear. That doesn't compare to the 'interpretation' that goes into holding the ball, or you can climb all over someone if it's a 'realistic' attempt but it's a clear free kick if it isn't. But for sure, they all have their difficulties, just reckon AFL is harder for various reasons.

Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
You think.. got two players that deny but an umpire that thinks it was. Can’t be sufficient evidence at all
Pretty much.

Medical report - absolutely not even the slightest bit of damage
Victim - No force at all
Umpire - WALTERS WAS THROWING HIS HEAD AROUND LIKE A JACKHAMMER. I FEARED FOR MY LIFE.

Back