McGovern reported

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't wait for the day an 18yo kid inadvertently tunnels someone, killing them on the field as their neck hits the deck awkwardly, and they are banned for life. Never to play again. Because - outcomes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
You will find most of our supporters had no issue with the Gaff suspension - he got what he deserved so don't know why you're bringing that up - a completely different scenario as it's not the issue that's presently under discussion - it's the inconsistency in the MRP handing out different penalties for similar incidences or worse. Can you tell me that what Ablett did (re his elbows) didn't warrant a suspension. He finally got done but he should have received a suspension a couple of weeks before that. As a lot of us are saying "different strokes for different folks!"

Yeah, I'm going to dispute that one.

The number of eagles supporters that agreed with the suspension based on BF posts and the ones I spoke to directly would have sub 10%. Almost all of them said he shouldn't have been sanctioned at all because a) Brayshaw started it, b) Brayshaw ducked into it, c) he only hit his chest (really!!) or any combination of those.

Plus all I got after that was how unfair it was that Gaff couldn't play in the GF and that it was all Brayshaw's / Freo's fault. Perhaps he could have used that time to actually play that round of golf that Nisbett invented.

I won't argue over Ablett but inconsistency from the MRO is hardly a new phenomenon. The A$$clown can't even agree with himself over the same weekend, let alone from week to week. Its a direct result of putting a small man into a job that is too big for him but I suspect he got the job because he would be very easy to manipulate while taking all the heat. He's hardly the sharpest tool in the shed.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Another player from another team would have just copped a fine, say like Frawley or that Zuhaara kid. Or Ablett, Dangerfield.......or Bellchambers.

All good Eagles fans, Gov misses a interstate game to freshen up. Barrass or someone else gets a crack. These things happen just like last year and players getting a game off here or there helped last season. The team covered losses and built resillience.

Just makes beating the bias flogs even sweeter.:thumbsu::cool:;)
Talking about Bellchambers.. his bump got a fine. More intent, went low and for the player. It’s just a mismatch of punishments here.
So if Shuey got concussed or cracked ribs etc and gone to hospital.. would’ve Bellchambers then get a week? That’s why having medical reports and after effects in these cases just isn’t fair.

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
And the winner for biggest melt.
It's not a melt genius.

You can hold an opinion that the judicial system is broken, without necessarily denying that the McGovern verdict is within the bounds of the poorly designed current guidelines.

Feel free to quote me if you can see me contradicting this position elsewhere.

Hint: You won't. I have had this "death on-field take" since Christian took up the role.

LOL ex bomber Jason Johnson on the tribunal panel, talk about a conflict of interest.
What's the conflict?

We don't play you this week so what does it matter to us if he misses a game?

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not a melt genius.

You can hold an opinion that the judicial system is broken, without necessarily denying that the McGovern verdict is within the bounds of the poorly designed current guidelines.

Feel free to quote me if you can see me contradicting this position elsewhere.

Hint: You won't. I have had this "death on-field take" since Christian took up the role.

It is quite clearly a melt.

I would have been happy with a fine, until i read the report of the hearing:
McGovern had said he was trying to lay body contact on Guelfi in an effort to stop him from overlapping, saying he knew he was going to miss him with a bump so chose to push.
Bull****. Why push? If you're going to miss with a bump you go for a tackle. You don't blatantly push someone in the back, unless you like giving away downfield free kicks.

He said he knew he was within the field of play when he first made contact with his opponent, saying he didn't know where he was when he followed through on his action.
Bull****. You have eyes Jeremy, the fence, that big metal thing a couple of metres in front of you is just over the boundary line. There are no fences in the middle of the field, so you know when you see one up close, you must be on the boundary.

McGovern's legal representative, David Grace QC, said the West Coast defender would have executed the exact same bump had Guelfi been in the middle of the field.
Bull****. So now it's a bump is it? A minute ago you said he knew he couldn't bump, so he chose to push. Make up your mind, dimwit. He would bump or tackle, not a two-armed push in the back.

Fair enough take it to the tribunal. But don't take it to the tribunal and then spin these absurd excuses.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I would have been happy with a fine, until i read the report of the hearing:
Bull****. Why push? If you're going to miss with a bump you go for a tackle. You don't blatantly push someone in the back, unless you like giving away downfield free kicks.

Bull****. You have eyes Jeremy, the fence, that big metal thing a couple of metres in front of you is just over the boundary line. There are no fences in the middle of the field, so you know when you see one up close, you must be on the boundary.

Bull****. So now it's a bump is it? A minute ago you said he knew he couldn't bump, so he chose to push. Make up your mind, dimwit. He would bump or tackle, not a two-armed push in the back.

Fair enough take it to the tribunal. But don't take it to the tribunal and then spin these absurd excuses.
You have to laugh - much like the many responses in this thread. Drinking that mad Kool-aid.

No doubt it is 100% a joke that that gets a suspension.

Next time he will learn to headbutt a player off the ball or punch a bloke in the stomach

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
No doubt it is 100% a joke that that gets a suspension.

Next time he will learn to headbutt a player off the ball or punch a bloke in the stomach
The port guy -Stewart just got a week for a lunch in the stomach off the ball. So best not.
The McGovern one was always a week- the only surprise is there are posters who are surprised.

Last edited:
I think the suspension is a joke, it was just a push, I don't think you can say he deliberately pushed him into the fence when you look at the speed of the whole incident. McGovern in that split second isn't thinking I am going to push him into the fence. Free kick, nothing more.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the suspension is a joke, it was just a push, I don't think you can say he deliberately pushed him into the fence when you look at the speed of the whole incident. McGovern in that split second isn't thinking I am going to push him into the fence. Free kick, nothing more.
What did he think would happen pushing a guy at full speed towards a fence only a few meters away?

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
I don't think you can say he deliberately pushed him into the fence when you look at the speed of the whole incident. McGovern in that split second isn't thinking I am going to push him into the fence.
I dont think anyone thinks it was deliberate do they?....He was charged and found guilty of careless conduct, not intentional....

Back