The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta eat my words on Finch. Another hundred...hats off to him, but if I have to be picky...threw it away.

I guess they had to start upping the run rate at some stage, but he looked set for a big innings.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Me too , looked shot 6 months ago.
Was a brain fade but obviously that knock won us the game .
Warner and he really are a good combo

Me too , looked shot 6 months ago.
Was a brain fade but obviously that knock won us the game .
Warner and he really are a good combo
I must admit I was one that wrote him off, then almost immediately, he starts knocking up the runs.

Can't say I am taking too much interest in the WC as long as the Poms lose.

I must admit I was one that wrote him off, then almost immediately, he starts knocking up the runs.

Can't say I am taking too much interest in the WC as long as the Poms lose.
Not on your own there .
After Bumrah tormented him during the tests and then he failed to get form in the one dayers after that I thought he was cooked.

Good on the selectors for sticking with him too , has been a huge turnaround

Was hoping to be watching an English capitulation ...... not a good start for that

Not really a surprise that NZ got up over India. More surprising that they were able to defend such a modest score.
India took them easy imo , thought the 240 chase would be easy pickings.
Quality early bowling from NZ though

Well here it is , all begins tonight . Got about 120 coffee pods ready to go.

Paine already off to a flyer with the press asked telling the English press he could name 15 more intimidating/hostile grounds then Edgbaston

Australia 1-0 for now......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith is a star. Might not be the flashiest, stylish or elegant but geez he has so much grit, determination. His concentration is first class. The pressure everytime he walks out to the middle is immense (even more so after the bans) but he keeps on delivering

Smith doesn't play we lose the Ashes. There is daylight between him and the next best batsman, who happens to be Wade.

Perhaps it is time for the selectors to wake up a look at the up and coming talent instead of giving more chances to players who simply are not up to it.

Patterson and Pucovski must play this summer.

Not convinced about Labuschagne but he deserves a few more tests.

What can you say about Warner. He will likely turn it around once back in Oz.

Bancroft - no.
Harris - no.
Head - no.
Khawaja - ??

Marsh, let's not get carried away with his 5 for.

Last edited:
Smith doesn't play we lose the Ashes. There is daylight between him and the next best batsman, who happens to be Wade.

Perhaps it is time for the selectors to wake up a look at the up and coming talent instead of giving more chances to players who simply are not up to it.

Patterson and Pucovski must play this summer.

Not convinced about Labuschagne nut he deserves a few more tests.

What can you say about Warner. He will likely turn it around once back in Oz.

Bancroft - no.
Harris - no.
Head - no.
Khawaja - ??

Marsh, let's not get carried away with his 5 for.

I don't know I've ever seen a better series from a batsman myself...

No Englishman has posted more Ashes tons in England than him.
smith hit more boundaries this series (97) than David Warner scored runs (95).

Smith and the bowlers lead us to victory while
a) Warner set a new record for the most single figure scores by an opener in a Test series
b) Harris failed to pass 20 once across his six innings
c) Biggest opening partnership of the series for us was 16.
d) Bancroft failing to reach 20 once across his four innings
e) Our captain is not in the best XI, yet is continually picked. Paine gets some points for being the captain through dark times, but needs to lift to justify selection let alone captaincy. 1 decent innings of about 60 that only came after Smith made 211 to take all the pressure off.

apart from that,

I say
yes-Labushagne. Ever since his first innings against India I thought he looked like a good batsman. Fields well. Can bowl. Seems to be picking up things off smithy. Looks good to me.

maybe not???-Khawaja. Need to improve his form, seems to be in the biggest form slump of his career and putting up very similar numbers to when he first came into test cricket. Another lefty who was getting smashed.

maybe not???- Head. Similar to Khawaja except with less experience, needs to improve his form. Lefties were all troubled in England, no doubt thats an area they've got to improve across the board.

Yes-Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon. Need one more bowler to really put their hand up, it won't be Starcy I dont reckon but I'm not sold on Pattinson and Siddle wasn't good enough. Maybe Richardson is that next bowler.

What an amazing first session today. Complete and utter annihilation. Hard to recall another innings like that from our bowlers.
The bowling through the whole game was exceptional . Today was incredible .
I wouldn't be writing India off too quickly , Australia's batting is still very flaky .
Sets up a cracking boxing day test

Cummins and Hazlewood put on a masterclass, ******* super line and length.
And that's exactly what it was. Nothing overly special. Just an exceptional outside offstump line and followed by one that would duck in.

It was a perfect day for batting today so it makes the efforts of Cummins & Hazelwood even more remarkable.

Was amazing to watch! Wasn't even like India batted that badly the bowling was just amazing
They did seem to nick everything yesterday.

A few of their guys do have technique flaws for out here and they were exposed , couldnt believe how poor Shaw was .

In fairness our batting could be capable of similar .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back