Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be 5-6 week hamstring by the Bupa report which is disappointing.

Means we probably won’t see the best of Chad this season then

Going to be 5-6 week hamstring by the Bupa report which is disappointing.

Means we probably won’t see the best of Chad this season then

May have had a setback or other issues for it to take this long. Or, might be trying to build slower than other soft tissues this season and get him right with a hope of less chance of tearing another muscle. Hope it’s the second option.

Clarko was full of praise of Chad last night at ITH.

Said Chad was feeling really poor that he couldn't get on the park much and repay the faith.

Clarko said this is a 5 year project, not 5 weeks. Patience.
Yes, and its more important that he is delivering "when it matters."
I have no doubt whatsoever that he is the kind of player who will.

If I were in Chads shoes I would have been stoked to be having a solid preseason til the calf. Was looking every bit what we were expecting from memory.
Then the calf...
Now in the same shoes you would be feeling a little helpless fitting into a system based forward line that quells some of the creative genius that has made the name for him & had consistent injury to hinder any progress.
Chad would be feeling terrible that he hasn’t been able to contribute.

Being eaten by your own should be the farthest thing from his mind but I’m sure that the narrative of a **** trade for Hawthorn is getting back.

The guy is a gun & will win game of football off his own boot as well as being a key piece of the rejuvenation of the list moving forward.

Burton & Dursma v Chad isn’t the result but as a collective for Hawthorn Scrimshaw will be better than Burton & Burton gave us the capital to make the trade for a 2 first rd draft pick player that we wouldn’t have otherwise been able to get.
Give it 12 months and I think you'll find Wingard vs Burton + Duursma to be favourable. I think Burton and Duursma will be good AFL footballers but Chad was already an AA at 20.

Give it 12 months and I think you'll find Wingard vs Burton + Duursma to be favourable. I think Burton and Duursma will be good AFL footballers but Chad was already an AA at 20.

Yeah I know how unbelievable he was in his early 20s, we need to see him get the passion and desire to achieve that sort of form for a couple of seasons in his mid to late 20s.

I'm not even worried whether it look favorable when comparing the output of the players.

Duursma was not drafted by us, he's irrelevant, people want to attach him to the trade because that is who Port used the pick on but we have no way of knowing who the Hawks would have taken.

Burton and Wingard play different roles, directly measuring their impact against each other is not easy to do.

I look at it like this currently.

We had plenty of young talent in the back half without Burton, Sicily, Hardwick, Impey and now Scrimshaw, possibly CJ in the future

Timmy has shown that he could be serviceable down back and the club has been trying to test that for 2 years.

Our forward half doesn't have the same young talent coming through, we had Cyril retire, Poppy is close to the end and that left only Breust and Gunston in the small/medium category with Moore and Hanrahan the only kids at box hill.

Losing Burton from the back half and gaining Wingard to the front half helps with getting talent on every line that will be in the right age bracket when we are competing again

The club took a gamble on Wingard offering more to the team's success over the next 5 years than Burton would.

They had more exposed form on Wingard than Burton. Clarkson had coached Wingard in the International Series, he'd coached Burton and given what he thought those players could offer and what the team needed clearly had a preference for one player over the other if it came to that.

They may have hoped to keep Burton but been willing to lose him to gain Wingard, or they may have been trying to keep their first round pick by offering Burton up, either way what we have is Wingard and not Burton.

Our backline has been pretty decent without Burton and our forward line has been poor no matter who is there. Fix the midfield and find a tall and I think the forward line will be humming again and at that point the value of Wingard will start to show.

Just my opinion but that's how I'm looking at this

Seriously watch burton play. He does some nice things but there’s people out there that will just look at the stat sheet after the game and say oh he’s had 20 again when half are kick ins or chips around half back.

He’s gonna be this kind of player for the rest of career.

The trade may yet be a fail, but let’s judge in 2-3 years time as Wingard’s elite has burton covered every day of the week.

Clarko was full of praise of Chad last night at ITH.

Said Chad was feeling really poor that he couldn't get on the park much and repay the faith.

Clarko said this is a 5 year project, not 5 weeks. Patience.

Expect Wings is learning a bit about himself and what it takes ot be a really elite player. Having guys like Rough, Pup, Jaegs, Scully, Silk, Issie and co around him can only help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not even worried whether it look favorable when comparing the output of the players.

Duursma was not drafted by us, he's irrelevant, people want to attach him to the trade because that is who Port used the pick on but we have no way of knowing who the Hawks would have taken.

Burton and Wingard play different roles, directly measuring their impact against each other is not easy to do.

I look at it like this currently.

We had plenty of young talent in the back half without Burton, Sicily, Hardwick, Impey and now Scrimshaw, possibly CJ in the future

Timmy has shown that he could be serviceable down back and the club has been trying to test that for 2 years.

Our forward half doesn't have the same young talent coming through, we had Cyril retire, Poppy is close to the end and that left only Breust and Gunston in the small/medium category with Moore and Hanrahan the only kids at box hill.

Losing Burton from the back half and gaining Wingard to the front half helps with getting talent on every line that will be in the right age bracket when we are competing again

The club took a gamble on Wingard offering more to the team's success over the next 5 years than Burton would.

They had more exposed form on Wingard than Burton. Clarkson had coached Wingard in the International Series, he'd coached Burton and given what he thought those players could offer and what the team needed clearly had a preference for one player over the other if it came to that.

They may have hoped to keep Burton but been willing to lose him to gain Wingard, or they may have been trying to keep their first round pick by offering Burton up, either way what we have is Wingard and not Burton.

Our backline has been pretty decent without Burton and our forward line has been poor no matter who is there. Fix the midfield and find a tall and I think the forward line will be humming again and at that point the value of Wingard will start to show.

Just my opinion but that's how I'm looking at this
Exactly, this isn't a zero sum deal.
Both sides can win on this trade and look like they both will.

If you don’t think the club don’t leverage Silk in that way then that’s your prerogative..

It’s not about being mentally weak, you said that, not me but if you want that to be part of the narrative then so be it. It’s about indigenous boys having a role model and someone they respect around them, it’s about them feeling comfortable in their surrounds.

Indigenous boys have a harder time adjusting, it’s accepted and expected that they have stronger support networks. Silk is a huge part of that whether you like to believe it or not.
They’re just normal people like the rest of us. And in saying that they are a lot more driven, dedicated and mentally tough than the majority of us, you don’t make AFL if you aren’t mentally disciplined. Whilst I’m sure someone as great as silk is an inspiration for them, Stop acting like they’re a different species from the rest of the players

Jeez Chad is a well spoken guy and every time i hear him talk i just find all the rumors of his attitude issues harder to believe. Seems to be a strong person with a very close group of friends and family that is always talking glowingly of the club. Really good to see him string a couple games together and remind people just how good he is.

Jeez Chad is a well spoken guy and every time i hear him talk i just find all the rumors of his attitude issues harder to believe. Seems to be a strong person with a very close group of friends and family that is always talking glowingly of the club. Really good to see him string a couple games together and remind people just how good he is.

I think people just like to cut down the bloke who doesn't live and breathe footy, which unfortunately is 100% Chad. He doesn't deserve any of it.

He's a star, and mark my words if he's fully fit next season with a pre-season under his belt we will see the very best of him. He's made to be a midfielder with how clean, skillful and sharp he is, coupled with his manic pressure and tackling.

Having Wingard and Mitchell both fit and in the midfield will transform our side. Never mind what the potential addition of a certified top 10 midfielder in the comp may add.

I think people just like to cut down the bloke who doesn't live and breathe footy, which unfortunately is 100% Chad. He doesn't deserve any of it.

It reeks of plain ignorance. Those people see the tattoos, the hair and flashy style he plays with and come to that conclusion. If they bothered to hear him talk they would realise that they are obviously wrong.

Same goes with Sicily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back