Victorian government bans school kids from using mobile phones

Remove this Banner Ad

You are assuming I can't do that. You can teach a monkey to push buttons, but that's not the same as understanding the mechanics behind whatever it is those buttons control. 'But smartphones have calculators' is the reason why when a til goes down cafe staff stand there looking gormless trying to work out what $4.20 + $3.50 adds up to and how much change is required from $10.

Not only can I read a Melways, I can change a tyre and do basic auto maintenance and repairs. I consider myself at some advantage to someone who is rendered useless by a flat phone battery or driving 5 minutes out of range. But I'm sure the RACV app (I assume there is one) comes in handy in the middle of nowehere.
My mum can't change a tyre or do auto repairs and I don't think it's because she's spent her life on her smartphone. Blaming technology for kids lacking basic skills is an easy way to shift blame away from bad parenting/teaching.

I find it amusing when the older generation criticize kids' behaviours when it's the older generation who raised them. Kids aren't born with a propensity to use their phones.
I didn't raise a single one of these socially-*ed phone-addicted troglodytes.

Not a single one.

So stop being silly.

'Problem solving'? 'Hand eye coordination'?

What the hell are you talking about?

People sit on their fat asses and stare at a screen while they play video games.

How far and how quickly the masses have regressed.

When I was a kid -- and I'm only 31 -- everybody knew that video games were at best a distraction and at worst a mind rotting tool.

Now people seem to genuinely believe video games are somehow good for you.

It doesn’t need to be physical activity for it to be good for you.

You sit on your ass in class not exercising, but you’re exercising your brain.

Obviously, too much gaming is bad for you, but if done in moderation it can have its benefits.

I didn't raise a single one of these socially-******ed phone-addicted troglodytes.

Not a single one.

So stop being silly.

Well stop blaming kids for being phone addicted because by and large it isn't their fault.

You sit on your ass in class not exercising, but you’re exercising your brain.
Not when you are clicking 'like' on Kim Kardashian's latest make up advertisement.

Which goes to the heart of the point of this ban.

Obviously, too much gaming is bad for you, but if done in moderation it can have its benefits.
Do you have any EVIDENCE to support your claim that video games assist hand eye coordination?

Or problem solving skills?

I'm all ears :)

Not when you are clicking 'like' on Kim Kardashian's latest make up advertisement.

Which goes to the heart of the point of this ban.

Do you have any EVIDENCE to support your claim that video games assist hand eye coordination?

I'm all ears :)

I can provide you some, but I know you’re going to find reasons to dismiss it.

But yes there has been research on it.

I'm all ears

Because most video games require hand eye coordination and problem solving skills.

If I did a Billy Madison I'd prefer kids quietly on their phones to derailing lessons because they're bored/stupid/step-parent raped them and nobody did anything about it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any claim is contestable...
Not in a serious discussion among adults. Some things are taken as self-evident truths.

If you want to sit here and contest things which are self-evident, go right ahead.

It will only assist my case, which is that you and others in this thread are addicted to your phones like crack cocaine.

Not in a serious discussion among adults. Some things are taken as self-evident truths.

If you want to sit here and contest things which are self-evident, go right ahead.

It will only assist my case, which is that you and others in this thread are addicted to your phones like crack cocaine.

Yes, “taken as”

Meaning it’s not fact, it’s interpretation.

You want to claim others or myself are addicted to our phones. Can you prove that from an Internet forum? How? Are you measuring our physiological reactions when without our phone? Are you asking us what goes through our head when without our phone? No, you aren’t.

You claim that there is no benefit for video games. Yet, the research is out there, you just gotta find it.

None of my claims are dubious or contestable, unless you can cite an example of such.
Sure lets have at it then seeing as you're not discussing the topic with anyone

Which is all it takes to lose your concentration on the task at hand.
Cite the evidence of your 5 seconds is all it takes comment
Where's your evidence?

The attention span of the average 18yo right now is already puss.
Where's your evidence?

You are repeating a myth.

It is based on the idea that Plato / Socrates allegedly said the youth of his day was lazy etc.

But the people who repeat the story have never taken the time to look into it.

And even if a guy 2,000 years ago criticised the youth of his time, they didn't have smartphones back then.

Or rising rates of ADD, 'anxiety', and depression.
Where's your evidence?

Am I?

Maybe I am. I do use it a bit, but that doesn’t nessecarily mean addiction.
You're addicted and we both know it.

So is almost every person on this thread.

I'm addicted to my smartphone and I openly admit it.

It is addicts who are in denial that are the main problem, because these are the kinds of fools who will argue that children should have access to smart phones during school hours, even during class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back