Review Round 15 - Essendon vs GWS Giants, Thursday 27th June, Marvel Stadium, 7.20pm

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
No surprises with the umpiring we all know how a lack of training and money invested into that part of the game goes at AFL house and it will be interesting to see the media over it in the next few days and how the vic bias is linked in or more likely not
The coaches and players comments will be interesting and it is not an excuse for the loss as Essendon took their chances and we didn’t and the Essendon mids did a good job around the contest and fought to the end
The stage was their for one of the giants match winners to step up and no one could but now a review of the game with some thins to work on and the next game v the lions will be a big challenge and it makes the next 5 games must wins to try to get the top 2 as another loss will make that out of reach and will put doubt on top 4

blueboots

Debutant
Jun 27, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Carlton
Commiserations Giants fans.

Absolutely robbed by the umps getting caught up in the theater of it all.

Hard to remember such an avalanche of frees and dodgy decisions having such an influence on a match.

The bald headed flog was the worst
Just a pathetic display from umpires, smacked of no repercussions due to small support at ground..
If that was Collingwood or Richmond god help the AFL ..but GWS...oh well bombers are the story!
Worst stitch up I ever seen!

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Just a pathetic display from umpires, smacked of no repercussions due to small support at ground..
If that was Collingwood or Richmond god help the AFL ..but GWS...oh well bombers are the story!
Worst stitch up I ever seen!

If it was Pies or Tigers, they would have needed 40,000 Security staff to eject the all conscientious objectors after the bald headed flog pointed at them.

That's if they could find them after they tore the stands down.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Well you can thank the umpires for costing you this game. The baldy umpire has cost the Suns at least 3 games this year
It’s Nichols.
I said earlier he would’ve been working out who he hated more. Essendon or the Giants.
Haven’t seen the last quarter but It sounds like he chose.
He’s the one that cost us the prelim against the dogs in 2016.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
That's a third consecutive away game; Adelaide, Hobart, Melbourne. How often does that happen? Will be nice to get home support for a game.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Again the loss of the speedy Scully and Shiel stood out tonight. Tomlinson and Perryman on the wings now is hardly like for like.

Leg speed remains a real issue though the middle of the ground. Accentuated by Mummy moving about as fast as the QEII.

Whitfield back will help. Hopefully next week.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Commisserations guys.
That was an absolute stitch up by the VFL.
clear bias shown with Essendon getting 20 free kicks in a row not to mention the touched goal.

I know how it feels to be on the receiving end of bullshit bias by the Victorian umpiring fraternity

It's time for neutral umpires.

Again the loss of the speedy Scully and Shiel stood out tonight. Tomlinson and Perryman on the wings now is hardly like for like.

Leg speed remains a real issue though the middle of the ground. Accentuated by Mummy moving about as fast as the QEII.

Whitfield back will help. Hopefully next week.
Tommo had a good game tbh, Harry is still a work in progress. Mummy was putrid

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
There was a really good question asked at the presser re Josh Kelly and whether he is more value in the centre clearances or out.

Personally I don't think he's a very good centre square player (and I didn't think he had a great game tonight despite the stats).

I'd rather put Perryman in the guts to get the aggot out. Particularly with Cal on the sidelines.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think the last couple of pages here says it all. 29 - 14 and how many given in the last q in a row and the obvious ones missed. There was a stat of the free kicks at one stage that showed Ess maybe 14 - 11 l think. Nicholls, you are the worst umpire ever.

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
That was hard to watch as a neutral probably the worst umpired game I've ever seen particularly the second half. The commentary was nearly just as biased for not calling the umps dodgy decisions out and we all know that the AFL will never say or change anything anyway that's a bitter loss but we'll definitely see your lads at the pointy end of the year, best of luck

Flat track bullies strike again
Out of curiousity did you watch the game or are you just rolling that out based off the loss to a lower ranked team? We were on top for the majority of the game.

We only fell behind when every attacking foray started being cancelled out by marks not getting paid (Finlayson) and free kicks getting called "play on", e.g. players lying on the ground throwing the ball away (Bellchambers - definitely not a handball or kick) or players getting monstered by what used to be an "unrealistic attempt" because the defender didn't even get a hand on the ball (Cameron, Finlayson), and the Bombers instead getting gifted frees in front of goal inconsistent with the standards being applied to contact on the Giants players. Even then we almost got through it.

I'd agree with that sentiment after the Adelaide game or the Fremantle game, but rolling it out after last night's effort is a joke and belittling an actual effort that was up there with the Geelong game.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I feel the game just showed that the team will need to be that much better than the other team in the finals to take the umpires out of impacting the result
Also the team was missing 3 first choice mds in ward Whitfield and MDB although I am not making an excuse as I am sure the bombers were missing as many key players if not more
Also now for the conspiracy theory that AFL house doesn’t want the giants to finish top 2 as it would mean missing out on a big gate from the cats and pies finals at the MCG

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Out of curiousity did you watch the game or are you just rolling that out based off the loss to a lower ranked team? We were on top for the majority of the game.

We only fell behind when every attacking foray started being cancelled out by marks not getting paid (Finlayson) and free kicks getting called "play on", e.g. players lying on the ground throwing the ball away (Bellchambers - definitely not a handball or kick) or players getting monstered by what used to be an "unrealistic attempt" because the defender didn't even get a hand on the ball (Cameron, Finlayson), and the Bombers instead getting gifted frees in front of goal inconsistent with the standards being applied to contact on the Giants players. Even then we almost got through it.

I'd agree with that sentiment after the Adelaide game or the Fremantle game, but rolling it out after last night's effort is a joke and belittling an actual effort that was up there with the Geelong game.
Are you able to objectively look at performance without blaming the umpiring?

Once again a team stopped us from running the ball and using it how we like (think hawks/freo/adelaide) and we lost the game.

We only win (with the exception of geelong) when we are allowed to play our way. Thats a flat track bully- only winning when the game is on their terms.

I feel the game just showed that the team will need to be that much better than the other team in the finals to take the umpires out of impacting the result
Also the team was missing 3 first choice mds in ward Whitfield and MDB although I am not making an excuse as I am sure the bombers were missing as many key players if not more
Also now for the conspiracy theory that AFL house doesn’t want the giants to finish top 2 as it would mean missing out on a big gate from the cats and pies finals at the MCG
Whilst I acknowledge your outs, Devon Smith, Jake Stringer and Joe Daniher are fairly important to our side.

We got the rub of the green, it was a good match. Good luck in finals.

Are you able to objectively look at performance without blaming the umpiring?

I have no issues with separating the two every other week. I'm quite happy to vent about umpiring decisions most weeks without attributing them sole blame for our losses, but this week is the exception.

Once again a team stopped us from running the ball and using it how we like (think hawks/freo/adelaide) and we lost the game.

We only win (with the exception of geelong) when we are allowed to play our way. Thats a flat track bully- only winning when the game is on their terms.

Essendon didn't stop us running the ball... Their pressure on the ball carrier, our usual bug bear, was less than Adelaide (and Essendon or St Kilda or Adelaide in previous years as well). We cut through their structures regularly, unlike against Hawthorn. We got our hands to the ball first and often, unlike against Fremantle (and previous years against teams like Sydney or Melbourne). We had plenty of good ball movement. The exception, which I lamented during the game, were bombs into the forward 50 for easy opposition marks, but that was cleaned up after the first quarter.

9 times out of 10 we win that game - but if repeated efforts of said good ball movement are cancelled out by stuff completely out of our control, and the reverse is rewarded excessively, and we lose by a goal, then lumping into the same bucket as our other shitty losses is just trying to link up our loss to push an existing narrative and is lazy.

Back