Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, it was a fantastic experience. Bob and Chris are such great guys. There was so much more I wanted to talk about but just not enough time
Just listened - very good!

Ridley This

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The answer was largely on the page you were on. Pretty much our pick ended up being shuffled back, from pick one, due to Port Adelaides introduction to the league, and then further back as the result of compensation picks awarded to teams who had players poached.

Port Adelaide zone selections[edit]
As part of Port Adelaide's entry to the AFL they were entitled to recruit some uncontracted players from other AFL clubs and players from the SANFL prior to the national draft. Clubs that lost players were entitled to compensation selections before both the first and second rounds of the 1996 national draft.

Uncontracted player selection[edit]

I'm assuming Port Adelaide were given the first four picks in the draft, in the same way GWS and GC were given a kick start. Following Port signing Uncontracted players from other clubs, those clubs were given compensation picks for the uncontracted players lost that Port were given access to, as mentioned above, in the form of picks before the first and second rounds. Thus Port Adelaide's picks 1-4, were bumped up to 6-9 in the draft order after the compensation picks were given, 5 players were picked from other teams. They then traded pick 8 to Geelong for contracted players. In the end Bulldogs original pick 5 ended up becoming pick 10.

In the end, we ended up with arguably the best player in that draft in Nathan Brown. So it worked out okay in the end.

Awesome, thank you. Completely missed the whole compo thing. Still madness, but as you say not the strongest draft by any means.
Also, today I learned that Matthew Primus started with Fitzroy.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just putting this here for some of you 😂😂😂😂😂

E282E473-D135-46B3-A5E5-D015BDE23191.png

Notwithstanding all we've said this week about the hypocrisy of the AFL gambling revenues ...

The flag odds do give us a bit of an insight into how the rest of the world views our chances. That can be informative when most of what you read here is a very subjective view from inside the BF echo chamber (either way too optimistic or way too pessimistic, depending on the style of the particular poster). As they say, if you want to know what's really happening, follow the money.

We are quoted at $151 for the flag which is in the right ball park as far as I'm concerned. (Another way to look at those odds is it means a side will win the flag from our situation only once every 150 years).

Anyway what I found interesting is that the bookies rated us a better chance than a number of clubs that are mostly above our 16th position on the ladder, namely:
St Kilda (11th) $501​
Hawthorn (12th) $201​
Norf (13th) $251​
Melbun (17th) $251​

Carlton and Gold Coast have dropped out of betting for the flag.

In other words the bookies are keeping us safe despite our low ladder position, poor percentage, hard run home and the 5-8 record so far. They rank us 12th out of 18. Now clearly we aren't going to win the flag this year but it does show there's a bit more respect out there than we sometimes give our club credit for.

Notwithstanding all we've said this week about the hypocrisy of the AFL gambling revenues ...

The flag odds do give us a bit of an insight into how the rest of the world views our chances. That can be informative when most of what you read here is a very subjective view from inside the BF echo chamber (either way too optimistic or way too pessimistic, depending on the style of the particular poster). As they say, if you want to know what's really happening, follow the money.

We are quoted at $151 for the flag which is in the right ball park as far as I'm concerned. (Another way to look at those odds is it means a side will win the flag from our situation only once every 150 years).

Anyway what I found interesting is that the bookies rated us a better chance than a number of clubs that are mostly above our 16th position on the ladder, namely:
St Kilda (11th) $501​
Hawthorn (12th) $201​
Norf (13th) $251​
Melbun (17th) $251​

Carlton and Gold Coast have dropped out of betting for the flag.

In other words the bookies are keeping us safe despite our low ladder position, poor percentage, hard run home and the 5-8 record so far. They rank us 12th out of 18. Now clearly we aren't going to win the flag this year but it does show there's a bit more respect out there than we sometimes give our club credit for.

:eek:

Of course! :cool:
It was the 150 year bit I was shocked by :p
Well, to be more precise it actually means that if you had 150 teams in our position only one would ever go on and win the flag. As you can probably have several teams in our position each year it might be that it happens ... say ... once every 50-75 years.

Is that any better?

Well, to be more precise it actually means that if you had 150 teams in our position only one would ever go on and win the flag. As you can probably have several teams in our position each year it might be that it happens ... say ... once every 50-75 years.

Is that any better?

Yep, cos Hawthorn are 200s

As some of you may be aware, Perth hasn't been a happy hunting ground very often for us. We have only ever won nine matches in Perth, and apart from Wallace and Eade, no Bulldogs coach has won more than one game in that state.

I vividly recall our first win in Perth. It was round 15, 1995. We waited a long time for our first WA success.

The reason for my post is I have tried unsuccessfully in the past to catch a replay of this game. A few years ago when I purchased a heap of games from AFL Delivered, this is one game they didn't have available. YouTube doesn't have any footage of the match at all.

I'm hoping someone here may have a copy of the game. I'd love to purchase it if someone can help me out.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interested in others thoughts about player development in general and our player development in particular.
Is player development an actual thing? Or is a good player always going to be a good player and advances due to “ player development “ will be minuscule only and succes is due more to the coaches tactics systems and having more good players than the other mob.
In my opinion only, Wood, Cordy and JJ, have gone backwards in the last couple of Years despite what’re player development we have in place. The Bont and Macrae showed they were special early on before being exposed to PD for long. It looks to me that good players improve with experience and no amount of PD will turn Hrovat, HoneyC, Webb etc into very good players.
Interested in others views.

Interested in others thoughts about player development in general and our player development in particular.
Is player development an actual thing? Or is a good player always going to be a good player and advances due to “ player development “ will be minuscule only and succes is due more to the coaches tactics systems and having more good players than the other mob.
In my opinion only, Wood, Cordy and JJ, have gone backwards in the last couple of Years despite what’re player development we have in place. The Bont and Macrae showed they were special early on before being exposed to PD for long. It looks to me that good players improve with experience and no amount of PD will turn Hrovat, HoneyC, Webb etc into very good players.
Interested in others views.
Not sure if it's a thing. Or at least that it's a major differentiator. I expect most clubs would have good systems and programs in place. However there could be some exceptional cases of both good and bad practice.

It does get used here as a way to criticise the club when in reality there are often other factors at play as well. And the odd instance of success or failure doesn't prove much in terms of overall effectiveness.

Individual player circumstances are much more a factor in their development I reckon.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
From Naughton’s pocket profile on the Dogs’ website:

“What scares you: Bailey Smith”

Wonder if it’s the training program, the tackling, or the hair that does it
There was a moment a game or two back where I thought he had a bit of the Clay Smith eyes about him. We can only pray...
What is it about the Smiths...

Question for the stats buffs.
If a player kicks in from the goal square after a behind it’s not counted as a possession/ disposal is it?
But if he goes outside the square (even just one step) it’s called play on and hence it’s a disposal, right?
So when we read the stats sheets there’s no way of knowing how many freebies like this the defenders have had.

I reckon it distorts the stats if that’s the case. There should be an extra stat column called “cheapies”. A bit like the Ablett cheapie 1-2 handballs around the back. Might explain (in part) why nobody kicks from inside the square any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back