Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

I haven't run at all for nearly 6 weeks (physio recommended spell) and haven't run well for 6 months.

Going out of my mind.

No good mate. Easy to say hang in there, but the frustration must be bloody horrendous. Feel for ya.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Ran the Sri Chinmoy half at Albert Park 1.5 weeks ago, stoked with a 1:25:31, a pb by 3 mins, and at 50 yrs old. Perfect weather and no wind made for ideal running conditions.
you got lucky. normally the wind smacks you in the face once you turn onto Lakeside Drive...and strangely enough you can't feel it at your back on the other side.
i decided to target this race when i got injured late last year but i've only now just crept back up to 9k long runs.
i may give Princes Park a go if possible. i wont be nearly fit enough to race it but at least it gives me something to look forward to.
...or maybe its too soon. christ i hate not being able to run how and when i want.

congrats on the shiny new and speedy PB. it gives fellow old timers like me some hope, albeit at a considerably slower pace.

Last edited:
I'm in but if a running dry spell at the moment. Last run was last Friday (21st) and due to family and work commitments at the moment it's now Wednesday night and I haven't gotten out.

Apart from footy commitments I haven't run in 3 weeks since South Africa.....and Gold Coast is next weekend (and I'm doing the full marathon). You're certainly not alone.

Crows4Flag

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
you got lucky. normally the wind smacks you in the face once you turn onto Lakeside Drive...and strangely enough you can't feel it at your back on the other side.
i decided to target this race when i got injured late last year but i've only now just crept back up to 9k long runs.
i may give Princes Park a go if possible. i wont be nearly fit enough to race it but at least it gives me something to look forward to.
...or maybe its too soon. christ i hate not being able to run how and when i want.

congrats on the shiny new and speedy PB. it gives fellow old timers like me some hope, albeit at a considerably slower pace.

Ive ran Albert Park a few times in both directions and not sure on preference. When running the lakeside drive leg do you run north to south or south to north?

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Ive ran Albert Park a few times in both directions and not sure on preference. When running the lakeside drive leg do you run north to south or south to north?
I'm not big on directions but every time i've run it its been anti-clockwise with the lake one your left. so you come on to Lakeside at the opposite end of the athletics track and run towards it.

...and it's almost always windy.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
went for a jog this morning. about 3.5k from home i started to feel the need to poop but it wasn't urgent and i wasn't that far from home.
at about 3k to go i passed a public toilet and thought, "i don't really want to go in there and i got this situation under control anyway", so i rolled on by.
2k from home things became dire. there's a strong chance that i might not make it. need to run faster but you can't cause if you open up your stride something else might open up as well.
the last k was something between a very slow jog and a duck waddle as i searched around for a front yard with decent bush coverage. sadly, or thankfully depending on your perspective there was none....anyway i made it home, burst through the front door and made a mad dash/duck waddle to toilet that was oh so fortunately unoccupied. just in the nick of time.
sunday run ruined :(

just thought i'd share.
happy trails everyone.

Been there done that big time. There was even times where I was lucky I was passing either a roadhouse style servo or even McDonalds. The worst was finding a public toilet as the sun was setting and there were no lights (and I'm sure that toilet was used for something that wasn't what was a normal use for a toilet).

As for Gold Coast, a calf injury and transport issues (needing to book the train to return home rather than a flight) meant a downgrade to the half marathon. Timing chip apparently wasn't activated properly so even though there's plenty of photos of me on course and I have a medal and finishers shirt to prove it, my time is unofficial. Entering the Australian races for the remainder of the 2019 schedule this week, even toyed with the idea of applying to be a 4:30 pacer at Melbourne (given I've finished it 6 times, last year one of the legends paced that group) but probably won't place myself under that much pressure just yet (perhaps wait until I've got to 10).

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Been there done that big time. There was even times where I was lucky I was passing either a roadhouse style servo or even McDonalds. The worst was finding a public toilet as the sun was setting and there were no lights (and I'm sure that toilet was used for something that wasn't what was a normal use for a toilet).

As for Gold Coast, a calf injury and transport issues (needing to book the train to return home rather than a flight) meant a downgrade to the half marathon. Timing chip apparently wasn't activated properly so even though there's plenty of photos of me on course and I have a medal and finishers shirt to prove it, my time is unofficial. Entering the Australian races for the remainder of the 2019 schedule this week, even toyed with the idea of applying to be a 4:30 pacer at Melbourne (given I've finished it 6 times, last year one of the legends paced that group) but probably won't place myself under that much pressure just yet (perhaps wait until I've got to 10).
seems like you've had a run of bad luck of late.
i hope things swing your way soon.

Registered for the Half Marathon in Melbourne..
Have been a bit slack with training the last couple of weeks, back to work after time off with a newborn and getting readjusted though..

Plan is to just go for a run in the morning after the little fella wakes.. If it is 5am or 6am doesn't matter and gets it done before work and then means it gets done.

Fingers crossed it works, i did immediately get that motivation surge when i paid my hard earned to register!

After withdrawing from basically everything this year (Duncans 50, Two Bays 56, Geelong HM).... my only goal event is the Casey Stride series of 10k events.

First one is about 12 weeks away (October).

Still not confident of getting it done though. Managed close to 6km this morning but as with all my runs it is largely walking. 1km walk, 4 x 3 min jog/3 min walk, walk to end.

Even that amount of running is locking the knee up and causing quite an ache through the glutes and hammys. I've rested, followed the physios plan, have added some weights in now for hammys and quads to go with physio program............ but in the end I don't feel any significant difference to where I was in February.

Trying to stay positive and chip away and stay the course. Frustrated though.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
After withdrawing from basically everything this year (Duncans 50, Two Bays 56, Geelong HM).... my only goal event is the Casey Stride series of 10k events.

First one is about 12 weeks away (October).

I've entered Casey as well, looking forward to that little series, well spaced apart as well.

My schedule for the next few months is;
  • 28 July - Run Melbourne
  • 4 August - Silvan Trail Run Rapid Ascent Series
  • 18 August - Devilbend Run
  • 8 September - Sandy Point Half Mara
  • 22 September - Mornington Running Festival
  • 6 October - Casey Stride
  • 13 October - Melbourne Marathon
  • 3 November - Casey Stride
  • 23 November - Portsea Running Festival
  • 8 December - Casey Stride
Looking to get into Trail Running a lot more as I run at Devilbend most weekends and occasionally the Greens Bush/Two Bays trail. Finding that a lot more enjoyable and definitely tougher than road running.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
long run up to 15k. even did a track session last week :eek:
could go further and faster but the main goal at this stage is not to break. still really tentative...I have zero confidence in my body.

enjoying getting out there though, even in this shitty Melbourne weather.

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've entered Casey as well, looking forward to that little series, well spaced apart as well.

My schedule for the next few months is;
  • 28 July - Run Melbourne
  • 4 August - Silvan Trail Run Rapid Ascent Series
  • 18 August - Devilbend Run
  • 8 September - Sandy Point Half Mara
  • 22 September - Mornington Running Festival
  • 6 October - Casey Stride
  • 13 October - Melbourne Marathon
  • 3 November - Casey Stride
  • 23 November - Portsea Running Festival
  • 8 December - Casey Stride
Looking to get into Trail Running a lot more as I run at Devilbend most weekends and occasionally the Greens Bush/Two Bays trail. Finding that a lot more enjoyable and definitely tougher than road running.

Entered the De Castella run for next weekend after hearing from bloke at Athletes Foot that it was a good run if you're trying for a fast pace.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Entered the De Castella run for next weekend after hearing from bloke at Athletes Foot that it was a good run if you're trying for a fast pace.
i wouldnt trust anything that someone who works there says about shoes...hopefully they know more about races.

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
i wouldnt trust anything that someone who works there says about shoes...hopefully they know more about races.

Agree, I was only in there to try on a pair of Cliftons to get my size right before buying them online.
I was contemplating the De Castella and had that weekend free but his comments clinched it.
I don't think I've bought a pair of runners in a retail store in about 6 years

Finished Perth City to Surf Marathon in 4:23:18, fastest time I've had in 3 years and books me another spot in South Africa with this race being on the 2nd day of qualifying for 2020 (where there are 7000 spots available for novices). Sydney Half next up, then my 7th Melbourne Marathon, then another Point to Pinnacle a fortnight before Singapore Marathon in late November to round out the year.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I took 6 months off after 3 years solid including just over 2000km last year and back into week 5 now and building again. What is great is that whilst my speed had dropped significantly, probably due to the extra 5kg (muscle I swear!) My conditionig came back fast and I am doing comfortable 14-16km weekend "long runs" already with no recovery issues.
I can't believe I took such a long break, I mean I did yoga, weights, cycling, hiking etc but 6 months without running? What was I thinking:drunk:

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Finished Perth City to Surf Marathon in 4:23:18, fastest time I've had in 3 years and books me another spot in South Africa with this race being on the 2nd day of qualifying for 2020 (where there are 7000 spots available for novices). Sydney Half next up, then my 7th Melbourne Marathon, then another Point to Pinnacle a fortnight before Singapore Marathon in late November to round out the year.
your race schedule is a little more exotic than mine. I've got Run Maroondah coming up in a few weeks...that is all.
Oh, and I'm heading up to Ballarat in late October so hopefully I can sneak in a parkrun while I'm there. that counts right? no airplane travel involved but its still pretty exotic for me.

congrats on the marathon time :thumbsu:

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
went down to the track this morning to work on some speed (don't laugh its all relative)
i did 15 x 200m at an average of 38 seconds.
to put that in perspective Usain Bolt could give me 100m head start and probably still dip for the win on the line. Eliud Kipchoge would have blown my doors off at the start of his marathon WR by 3.5 seconds and then go on to repeat it 211 times with zero recovery.

the mind boggles.

Anyone else dealt with Achillies tendonitis?
Went to the physio Monday, she gave me some exercises to do (lifting up onto my toes for 45 seconds, 5 reps, 3 times a day) and gave me some heel lifts for my runners.. She also said to keep training but listen to my body and how I am feeling.

Went for a run this morn, uncomfortable early then when warm it was nagging but more annoying than anything.. Not really sore. Did about 7k, sore now though..

Back