Melbourne in the Media

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
As I said GC wanted May like Melbourne wanted Hogan ie gone and guess what they both went.
You need a fullback for every game not just next year, doesn’t mean you overpay for a fat one.

As I said before Hogan was traded I didn’t like it and the reasons why

It sounds like an AFL engineered outcome, to appease the AFL Gods. Helping 3 clubs out, Via changes that suit all, structurally.
Helped Freo. Helped us, in a weak area.

And freed up GCSuns with salary cap, and allowed them to start a fresh leadership group, for that club.
Really, I think its a Win Win Win.

We lacked that big powerful tall defender who uses the body really well, and can run and kick in the same motion.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It sounds like an AFL engineered outcome, to appease the AFL Gods. Helping 3 clubs out, Via changes that suit all, structurally.
Helped Freo. Helped us, in a weak area.

And freed up GCSuns with salary cap, and allowed them to start a fresh leadership group, for that club.
Really, I think its a Win Win Win.

We lacked that big powerful tall defender who uses the body really well, and can run and kick in the same motion.

The only salary cap issues the Suns would have had would be who to overpay to reach the minimum percentage required. Their list is terrible with a smattering of young talent that will go home soon.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
The only salary cap issues the Suns would have had would be who to overpay to reach the minimum percentage required. Their list is terrible with a smattering of young talent that will go home soon.
Actually, apparently they were in a tight spot salary cap wise from massively overspending just to keep blokes around ... Lynch and May would have headlined that.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You need a fullback for every game not just next year, doesn’t mean you overpay for a fat one.

I’m sure you’ll be here to tell me armed with all you little insults

Yes because I'm clearly talking to someone above little insults

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
C

Clubs third last in a year we were supposed to challenge for the flag I call that a **** up of epic proportions, they got fixated on a fat fullback that his own team didn’t want and thought pick 6 was just perfect, and now they are going to chase the type of player we traded for unders 9 months ago, what aren’t you seeing?

Show me your post last season where you thought we were a bottom 4 club after the prelim... there isn't one.

You are being a complete hindsight hero. If we were still in the finals mix May and Levee would be pivotal to our chances in the finals and just because we missed this year doesn't mean we can't reload and go again next year or for the next few years.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So why did Melbourne overpay for May? Hes younger but not nearly as good and his first year is a right off.
Because our KPD stocks suck, it's irrelevant what other clubs have done. Omac is horrific and Petty isn't close to ready. It would have been completely irresponsible to go another year without a mature key defender. You live in a fantasy world where we could trade the bare minimum for players we want

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne

I think that's right, and I think May would have been an over-payed player, at GCS.
Not knocking him, as that is what you have to do, when building from a low list base. Pay your experienced players highly, because you have to spend the cap space.
The trouble is in new clubs, that the experienced players who are there the longest, can get fatigued from losing. And develop a safer mode of playing. So a culture of playing sort of safe mode. for fear of losing. and looking poor.

New coach needs to change things, and start with changing the leadership, to freshen up the clubs list, and to push a new broom of attitudes.

I think it will be harder to get the newer leaders to move from that club. But the older longer serving players, probably need a change for some fresh-air.

Last edited:

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually, apparently they were in a tight spot salary cap wise from massively overspending just to keep blokes around ... Lynch and May would have headlined that.

Lynch was gone and would have freed up more than enough cap space on his own. They've got a list full of young kids and rejects from other clubs - I'm sure they could have offered May enough to hang around if he wanted to.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Lynch was gone and would have free'd up more than enough cap space on his own. They've got a list full of young kids and rejects from other clubs - I'm sure they could have offered May enough to hang around if he wanted to.
Absolutely ... I never said anything about that, all I said was that in 2018, apparently their cap was tight

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Show me your post last season where you thought we were a bottom 4 club after the prelim... there isn't one.

You are being a complete hindsight hero. If we were still in the finals mix May and Levee would be pivotal to our chances in the finals and just because we missed this year doesn't mean we can't reload and go again next year or for the next few years.
Not sure you actually replied to my Above post here but anyway, your right there isn’t a post of mine saying we would be a bottom four club from last year as I never thought we would be and never claimed trading Hogan or recruiting May would result in a bottom 4 finish, not sure where your going with this.

What I did say last year at trade time was trading Hogan was a bad idea and I have always felt the club over paid for May, they are my opinions and haven’t changed, no hindsight here, and maybe your right again in saying May and Lever would be pivotal if we were in the finals but also if your Aunty had balls as they say

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lynch was gone and would have freed up more than enough cap space on his own. They've got a list full of young kids and rejects from other clubs - I'm sure they could have offered May enough to hang around if he wanted to.
You would not want him to, in they're scenario. Better to start off with fresh leaders. A fresh culture, & a fresh team.
Its not going back to the beginning, but rather going around past 'GO' again. Starting a fresh Lap of the course.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Because our KPD stocks suck, it's irrelevant what other clubs have done. Omac is horrific and Petty isn't close to ready. It would have been completely irresponsible to go another year without a mature key defender. You live in a fantasy world where we could trade the bare minimum for players we want
So you agree the club over paid for May, what I want is the paid professionals at the MFC to not get stitched up, I’ll except paying what the player is worth and for a 27yo fullback with no AA not wanted by his club pick 6 was to much in my opinion.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think too much has been taken from Pert suggesting we need a key forward who kicks goals . We have 2 already but there was no mention of our delivery into the forward 50 , or our inability to hold the ball inside 50 when we get it there . i thought the Pert interview started ok but when they got to McCarthy it wandered of to "gotcha" style . We have yet too see Goody's best 22 on the park this season , and history suggests the team with the fewest injuries to their key players does best in a season , we can only hope the football dept has learnt some valuable lessons from this year, and not pick players with no match practice (or some pre season) under their belts. It does worry me that Pert is involving himself in the recruiting discussion based on this interview , when his focus should be on the financial health of the club , and in regards to the May trade and Hogan trade out , its done . Time will tell whether we over paid or not.

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just watched the replay against Freo, and I reckon if May had been around for a few mor matches so far this year we might be in a better spot. His ability to keep a forward in check and allow our secondary defenders to go for interceptions was crucial in that game.
For my part, I reckon Hogan was gone whether it was this year, or a couple more. And if he’d stayed I think I don’t think it would have been good for us or him. Give May a good stretch of games for us and we’ll see the true value of that trade in our favour.
P.s. Salem is a bloody Godsend.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So you agree the club over paid for May, what I want is the paid professionals at the MFC to not get stitched up, I’ll except paying what the player is worth and for a 27yo fullback with no AA not wanted by his club pick 6 was to much in my opinion.

Look mate it's probably best we sign off on it here although it's probably gonna start up again
My opinion is we slightly over paid sure but we identified targets and we pursued them and ultimately got them. At least the club was pro active in building it's list. Carlton has been going to the draft for 20 years and are still the bottom of the barrel. We took Tmac Omac and Petty as KPDs and we were still no closer to finding a full back. My point is if and sure it's an if we make a run to the finals next year I'm gonna be bloody glad we have Lever and May on our list and not another Sparrow or Jordan who we have no idea if are even good enough to play senior footy

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Look mate it's probably best we sign off on it here although it's probably gonna start up again
My opinion is we slightly over paid sure but we identified targets and we pursued them and ultimately got them. At least the club was pro active in building it's list. Carlton has been going to the draft for 20 years and are still the bottom of the barrel. We took Tmac Omac and Petty as KPDs and we were still no closer to finding a full back. My point is if and sure it's an if we make a run to the finals next year I'm gonna be bloody glad we have Lever and May on our list and not another Sparrow or Jordan who we have no idea if are even good enough to play senior footy
Yep I think we’ve done it to death, I agree with a lot of what you say just not how it was done, I rate early draft picks highly and think the more you have the better but do genuinely hope May turns into a gun and will be happy to hear about it

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yep I think we’ve done it to death, I agree with a lot of what you say just not how it was done, I rate early draft picks highly and think the more you have the better but do genuinely hope May turns into a gun and will be happy to hear about it
Yeah and we do have an early pick this year and next and not many holes left to fill.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the 27 pick was about right, that’s no dig at Swallow hope he turns into a player.
Got to disagree. He was a club captain, key position player, in his prime. Pick six is about right IMO, ignoring KK. Anything between 5 and 15 would have been fair I think. He’s a proven KPP. Every new kid in the draft is pure speculation.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
In regards to May we had to offer GC pick 6. Otherwise he would have left them this season as a free agent & they would have received a pick 2 0r 3 priority pick. Plus he would be fielding offers from a lot more clubs & we could have potentially had to pay more for him.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Got to disagree. He was a club captain, key position player, in his prime. Pick six is about right IMO, ignoring KK. Anything between 5 and 15 would have been fair I think. He’s a proven KPP. Every new kid in the draft is pure speculation.
I just don’t rate him that highly, I think at best he’s good not great and has maybe 6 years at the club tops, but can absolutely see where you are coming from.

Agree with the draft being speculation that’s why I think more shots the better, the difference between the best and worst recruiters is minimal so more darts thrown and the earlier they are the better

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I just don’t rate him that highly, I think at best he’s good not great and has maybe 6 years at the club tops, but can absolutely see where you are coming from.

Agree with the draft being speculation that’s why I think more shots the better, the difference between the best and worst recruiters is minimal so more darts thrown and the earlier they are the better
The thing is, and most importantly when it came to doing a trade to get him, plenty of other clubs DO rate him highly, Collingwood were into him big time, and Hawthorn and Essendon were really keen as well. I'm with Tempy Tiger , he's a pick 5-15 range, and as Dark Avenger said, with him being a FA this year, GC were guaranteed a top 3 pick. So I've got no problem with the trade, particularly because I'm a big fan of KK, having seen a lot of him up close in his early days at the Suns, concussion issues notwithstanding.

Back