Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Hooker is an example of why my views on players are forever clouded by stubbornness.

Thought he was Essendon's worst or close to it (Laycock the other) in his 3rd-4th season and questioned his worth.
Now we're at the halfway point of 2019, suddenly one of my all time favourite Bombers.

Doss.

Essendon's most reliable and trustworthy player for a long time and I'd happily call him a champion.

Just watched the last quarter again, and he was just huge. Absolutely willed the team to come with him.
Holey sh!t if there were just 2 or 3 more players with his desire we would be on our way to good things.

Amazing isn’t it. He was absolutely everywhere. His mark against Davis - a gun defender - was the perfect example. He just got to the ball through pure will. He shoved Davis out of his way.

Amazing isn’t it. He was absolutely everywhere. His mark against Davis - a gun defender - was the perfect example. He just got to the ball through pure will. He shoved Davis out of his way.

The last play leading to his goal was even better.

Crashed the pack. Retrieved the ball and ran through the GWS tackle before dishing off and sprinting 60m to take the mark and then goal.

He does that in a grand final and it gets immortalised.

A very good player and great clubman. Champion is not a word I'd associate with Hooker. Great player in a poor era, they don't get remembered like the "Champions of Essendon" do.
It shouldn’t be that way though. I mean, if you are a club like St Kilda and apply that strict an interpretation, then you don’t consider people like Trevor Barker, Robert Harvey and Nick Riewoldt as champions.

I know we are not St Kilda but as a point of comparison, Hooker is likely deserving of being classed as a better player, and for longer, than a majority of our premiership players over the years.

It shouldn’t be that way though. I mean, if you are a club like St Kilda and apply that strict an interpretation, then you don’t consider people like Trevor Barker, Robert Harvey and Nick Riewoldt as champions.

I know we are not St Kilda but as a point of comparison, Hooker is likely deserving of being classed as a better player, and for longer, than a majority of our premiership players over the years.
St Kilda are the perfect example, because it's who I'd thought of when considering the whole thing.

I remember as a kid talking with family (saints) and they called Nathan Burke a champion. I was confused about it all. Champions win flags, like the champions I knew about at Essendon.

I can see how Lockett & Harvey might be considered champions. Our equivalents might be Moss, Jobe. When was the last time Allan Noonan came up in conversation?

St Kilda are the perfect example, because it's who I'd thought of when considering the whole thing.

I remember as a kid talking with family (saints) and they called Nathan Burke a champion. I was confused about it all. Champions win flags, like the champions I knew about at Essendon.

I can see how Lockett & Harvey might be considered champions. Our equivalents might be Moss, Jobe. When was the last time Allan Noonan came up in conversation?
Yeah I know what you mean. How many people remember that Geoff Blethyn is one of our very few players to kick north of 100 goals in a season? Very few, I'd wager.

Having said that, I don't think it's particularly fair on the players concerned, because their club's lack of success in *insert given era* is certainly not their fault as much as the lack of quality around them, or *insert myriad other reasons outside their control*. I'm comfortable with all those guys named being considered club champions.

The last play leading to his goal was even better.

Crashed the pack. Retrieved the ball and ran through the GWS tackle before dishing off and sprinting 60m to take the mark and then goal.

He does that in a grand final and it gets immortalised.
He made Davis his bitch at least twice that quarter
20190629_124245.gif

Yeah I know what you mean. How many people remember that Geoff Blethyn is one of our very few players to kick north of 100 goals in a season? Very few, I'd wager.

Having said that, I don't think it's particularly fair on the players concerned, because their club's lack of success in *insert given era* is certainly not their fault as much as the lack of quality around them, or *insert myriad other reasons outside their control*. I'm comfortable with all those guys named being considered club champions.
Hooker would be up there with the best players at the club not to have won a flag (or a final:oops::eek:). I wouldn't throw "Champion" around so lightly. If Hooker is a champion, so too is David Hille. And I always have to double check if there's an "e" on that or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to think we almost traded this guy for Liam Shiels and/or Jason Johannisen.....

That never happened.

Was thrown up in a trade for Josh Caddy. They said no. We were hellbent on trading him for two second round picks in 2012 to West Coast, but he simply refused to answer the door when Dodoro and Bomber came over. Thank * he never answered that door :hearteyes:

Hooker would be up there with the best players at the club not to have won a flag (or a final:oops::eek:). I wouldn't throw "Champion" around so lightly. If Hooker is a champion, so too is David Hille. And I always have to double check if there's an "e" on that or not.
Bob Skilton was bog average.

Shane Crawford was almost not a champion, then he became a champion in his last game I guess.

Hooker certainly didn't start out as champion quality but the sum of his playing ability, heart, passion and leadership over the back 2 thirds of his career should see him remembered as a champion of the club.

His last quarter is the epitome of leadership.

Scrap leadership group and just have Hooker as VC to Heppell. Leadership group looks like more of a popularity contest atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back