Melbourne in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is, and most importantly when it came to doing a trade to get him, plenty of other clubs DO rate him highly, Collingwood were into him big time, and Hawthorn and Essendon were really keen as well. I'm with Tempy Tiger , he's a pick 5-15 range, and as Dark Avenger said, with him being a FA this year, GC were guaranteed a top 3 pick. So I've got no problem with the trade, particularly because I'm a big fan of KK, having seen a lot of him up close in his early days at the Suns, concussion issues notwithstanding.
I disagree on the first rounder, his exposed form over a number of years says to me he is ok and nothing more, no other club appears to have had any interest in giving up a pick of great value for him and what GC could have got this year should be of no interest to the MFC.

It looked to me that the powers that be had decided May would be the difference between a flag or not and couldn’t hand over the pick 6 quick enough and got screwed as a result.

I disagree on the first rounder, his exposed form over a number of years says to me he is ok and nothing more, no other club appears to have had any interest in giving up a pick of great value for him and what GC could have got this year should be of no interest to the MFC.

It looked to me that the powers that be had decided May would be the difference between a flag or not and couldn’t hand over the pick 6 quick enough and got screwed as a result.
There is a big difference between not having any interest in giving up a top pick, and not having one to give up. You're entitled to you opinion on his worth, but it seems the majority of the football world suggests you've undervalued him considerably.

There is a big difference between not having any interest in giving up a top pick, and not having one to give up. You're entitled to you opinion on his worth, but it seems the majority of the football world suggests you've undervalued him considerably.
Big difference between giving up one of your best young players to get the pick to give away for a bloke who’s never been AA and couldn’t finish in the top 10 of his clubs b&f and whose greats highlight is cheap shot. I’m far from convinced the football world thinks he’s anything other than what we’ve seen for the last 8 years, ok but not elite, maybe he can be in the future he better be for what was given up

I think the 27 pick was about right, that’s no dig at Swallow hope he turns into a player.
Because of age I would have valued May around P16 - 21ish. but they thru in KK as well, so I reckon we were desperate.
We seem to buy with desperation. And sell easily.

But Josh gets our man. I think he needs to refine that area. I am happy with the May/KK deal, but unhappy we over-payed for Lever.
Glad to get Lever, but not the cost of two early 1st Rnd Picks. This has hurt us.

Last edited:
Because of age I would have valued May around P16 - 21ish. but they thru in KK as well so I reckon w were desperate.

But Josh gets our man. I think he needs to refine that area. I am happy with the May/KK deal, but unhappy we over-payed for Lever.
Glad to get Lever, but not the cost of two early 1st Rnd Picks. This has hurt us.
Yep agree with a lot of what you say, I liked the Lever deal and think he will be good fingers crossed, can make a strong case the club gave up to much for him but I would be talking with the benefit of hindsight in that case.

I’ve got no problems with May other than the club massively paid overs in my opinion and I wasn’t thrilled he rocked up over weight and not fit. There’s a massive risk in trading away high picks particularly on ok fullbacks.

Because of age I would have valued May around P16 - 21ish. but they thru in KK as well so I reckon w were desperate.

It wasn't 2 early first round picks. * Melbourne supporters are clueless about his subject

It wasn't 2 early first round picks. **** Melbourne supporters are clueless about his subject
It ended up being Pick 10 (2017) and Pick 19 (2018), both of which ended up at Carlton in seperate deals, for Lachie O'Brien and Liam Stocker.

Also important to remember that it wasn't a direct swap of Hogan for May, but rather, Hogan and Brett Bewley for May, KK and Sparrow.

It ended up being Pick 10 (2017) and Pick 19 (2018), both of which ended up at Carlton in seperate deals, for Lachie O'Brien and Liam Stocker.

Also important to remember that it wasn't a direct swap of Hogan for May, but rather, Hogan and Brett Bewley for May, KK and Sparrow.
Thankyou for posting that, I get tired of the lazy '2 first round picks' crap when it's barely half the story
We also got a pick 20-35 back from Adelaide as well so it really wasn't 2 early firsts at all

Thankyou for posting that, I get tired of the lazy '2 first round picks' crap when it's barely half the story
We also got a pick 20-35 back from Adelaide as well so it really wasn't 2 early firsts at all

We gave up 10 and 19 and got pick 35 back, plus there was a 3rd and 4th round trade in our favour that I haven't looked at particularly closely. They replaced the injury-prone Lever with Doedee and Alex Keath, so Adelaide would certainly be laughing all the way to the bank on that deal.

Out of the two recent deals we've done, at least May was playing as a KPD. We gave up a fair bit to take an intercept defender from Adelaide and have tried to turn him into a KPD, except he hasn't been on the park long enough to show much on that front.

We gave up 10 and 19 and got pick 35 back, plus there was a 3rd and 4th round trade in our favour that I haven't looked at particularly closely. They replaced the injury-prone Lever with Doedee and Alex Keath, so Adelaide would certainly be laughing all the way to the bank on that deal.

Out of the two recent deals we've done, at least May was playing as a KPD. We gave up a fair bit to take an intercept defender from Adelaide and have tried to turn him into a KPD, except he hasn't been on the park long enough to show much on that front.
How Adelaide develop isn't relevant to us though. With Frost and May in the side Lever won't play as a key back.

10 and 19 .. hardly 2 picks worth crying over, I'd be surprised if there was much difference in the average games played between pick 19 and 35

How Adelaide develop isn't relevant to us though. With Frost and May in the side Lever won't play as a key back.

10 and 19 .. hardly 2 picks worth crying over, I'd be surprised if there was much difference in the average games played between pick 19 and 35

Yes, you never cry over picks but if the only talent we bring in is via trades, we'll have a handful of decent players on the list surrounded by a ton of dead weight.

Point is Adelaide replaced what they'd lost for pick 17 (or whatever Doedee was) and a free bite at the cherry with Keath as a category B rookie. Can kind of see the point the other guy is making here - why burn high picks on defenders? Particularly when we suck so badly at trading? Intercept defenders are a dime a dozen. We picked up Hore for a penny, gave up Howe for a bit more, Sicily went for diddly squat late, etc.

If what Goody was doing last year is any indication, May and Lever are the two KPDs with Frost as the utility crazy person. I'm sure it'd be nice to be able to rotate them around to suit whatever threat the other side is providing, though.

The Pick 10, Adelaide traded along with their 1st round in 2017 for Bryce Gibbs, so I'm not so sure they're be all that happy with it at present to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pick 10, Adelaide traded along with their 1st round in 2017 for Bryce Gibbs, so I'm not so sure they're be all that happy with it at present to be honest.

Gibbs has played 30 times for the Crows, was decent last year plus they should be in the finals this year, so at worst he'll be handy depth to call on if injuries strike, so I don't think they'll be that shattered. One of the joys of having to wash the [SHIT_CLUB] off a player that's burned plenty of folks in the past.

You campaigners still carrying on about something that happened 9 months ago? First of you clowns saying we lost who would you have taken with 6? * me we lost an injury prone soft as butter tall hff who was always going home and got what we were after. Its a win and if we give up our first this year to get a skillful player that fills a ******* need then it doesnt matter if we traded or drafted the campaigner if it fills our weakness its a win. doesnt matter if its pick 3 or ******* 18. campaigners carrying on like our high draft picks really helped us in the past.

We obviously brought May in because we thought we were Premiership ready and we didn't have a good lynchpin down back. The logic was sound, but we will have serious egg on our collective faces if we are down the bottom again next year.

we do have an early pick this year and next and not many holes left to fill
Gawn 27-5, Jetta 29, Lever (we have to cover our tails with his history), Hibberd 30, Hogan, Jeffy 30,,,,
It's a never ending story replenishing the list. Time waits for no player.

It will take 5Yrs to train a replacement No 1 Ruck.
3Yrs to find & train someone for Jetta's role.

Not to mention the holes in our running-class brigade. And this is why we overpayed, for Lever.
Two early 1st Rnd picks, was too high.

Agree with the draft being speculation that’s why I think more shots the better, the difference between the best and worst recruiters is minimal so more darts thrown and the earlier they are the better
I agree with this.
The key with the kids, is to not make a song and dance over them in their first year...s.

Pick 10 & pick 19 is too high for 2arms and 2 legs. Especially when one of the two legs was already suspect. And is now seen as unstable, having had a 2nd Reco. Thoughts of Schwarta come to mind.

Our future 1st & our 2nd Rnd draftpicks, would have been closer to the mark. And we kept our 1st Rnd pick of that season, for use in that seasons draft.

We threw the first two darts in 2009 and that didn't go so well.

The end result wasn't so good, but I don't agree this was because of the picks. But moreso who we picked. Scully didn't want to be with us, and Trengove was a win, until he was severely injured.

I watched that years U-18's, attending games to watch these two play. I would not have picked scully, and I would have picked Trengove.

Others I liked were, Gary Rohan for his speed. Daniel Talia impressed me as a player, generally. I thought he was fantastic.

In regards to May we had to offer GC pick 6. Otherwise he would have left them this season as a free agent & they would have received a pick 2 0r 3 priority pick. Plus he would be fielding offers from a lot more clubs & we could have potentially had to pay more for him.
The Roos might have got their player, with Dollar$.

The end result wasn't so good, but I don't agree this was because of the picks. But moreso who we picked. Scully didn't want to be with us, and Trengove was a win, until he was severely injured.

I watched that years U-18's, attending games to watch these two play. I would not have picked scully, and I would have picked Trengove.

Others I liked were, Gary Rohan for his speed. Daniel Talia impressed me as a player, generally. I thought he was fantastic.

They had quite a few of those U18 games on Fox Footy back then, and I remember watching a few. Scully was good, but not so good that you'd use the #1 pick on him. Would have grabbed two of Trengove, Martin and Rohan with the early picks we had at the time. Others I liked were Talia and Travis Colyer, although Colyer hasn't done overly well. We should have picked up Talia with that mid 1st round pick we had. Rohan looked like he'd be a Steve Johnson type creative forward, and he may well have been if not for all the injuries. I'd imagine if we'd picked up Martin he'd have gone completely off the rails. What could have been... AKA The Team Melbourne Could Have Had.

We gave up 10 and 19
and got pick 35 back, plus there was a 3rd and 4th round trade in our favour that I haven't looked at particularly closely.

Pick 10 / 2017 NAB Draft. > https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2017&t=N&s=P Plenty there at P-10, and following, the pick.
P 19 / 2018 NAB Draft. > https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2018&t=N&s=P And who's to say we wouldn't have traded Up from P-19.?
Duursma went at P18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back