CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
The end result wasn't so good, but I don't agree this was because of the picks. But moreso who we picked. Scully didn't want to be with us, and Trengove was a win, until he was severely injured.

I watched that years U-18's, attending games to watch these two play. I would not have picked scully, and I would have picked Trengove.

Others I liked were, Gary Rohan for his speed. Daniel Talia impressed me as a player, generally. I thought he was fantastic.

That's the point, it wasn't a great result for us in the end.

Not all high picks end up working out.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
The end result wasn't so good, but I don't agree this was because of the picks. But moreso who we picked. Scully didn't want to be with us, and Trengove was a win, until he was severely injured.

I watched that years U-18's, attending games to watch these two play. I would not have picked scully, and I would have picked Trengove.

Others I liked were, Gary Rohan for his speed. Daniel Talia impressed me as a player, generally. I thought he was fantastic.
2009 proves the point in many ways, take your shots and hope for the best, Scully has been a fine AFL footballer for a decade, Trengove got wrecked by injury and incompetence.

Teams draft at about 50% in the first round, you can get good real quick if you do what Hawthorn did in 04 with multiple picks early, Melbourne in 14 and 15 did a similar thing and it seemed to be working well until they started trading away all our picks

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

Exactly, that’s why you get more picks not less don’t pretend one clubs better than another to any great extent, more picks more chances at the elite talent

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
They had quite a few of those U18 games on Fox Footy back then, and I remember watching a few. Scully was good, but not so good that you'd use the #1 pick on him. Would have grabbed two of Trengove, Martin and Rohan with the early picks we had at the time. Others I liked were Talia and Travis Colyer, although Colyer hasn't done overly well. We should have picked up Talia with that mid 1st round pick we had. Rohan looked like he'd be a Steve Johnson type creative forward, and he may well have been if not for all the injuries. I'd imagine if we'd picked up Martin he'd have gone completely off the rails. What could have been... AKA The Team Melbourne Could Have Had.
I focussed on the games with trengove and scully. I wanted to see what the fuss was about with scully and frankly I couldn't see the excitement apart from hi workrate. seemed i don't know, vanilla.
On the other hand, Trengove was about as effective, but was more in-under, and seemed to have more going for him, as a leader, and general footy smarts. A goer.
I still agree with my thoughts on these two, all the years later.

Rohan proved a good pick, apart from his early injury.
And the great pick was Daniel Talia, who I thought was a great mover, and with his height.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Pick 10 & pick 19 is too high for 2arms and 2 legs. Especially when one of the two legs was already suspect. And is now seen as unstable, having had a 2nd Reco. Thoughts of Schwarta come to mind.

Our future 1st & our 2nd Rnd draftpicks, would have been closer to the mark. And we kept our 1st Rnd pick of that season, for use in that seasons draft.

The same blokes who say we got ****ed over paying 10 and 19 for Lever are the same blokes who say we got ****ed over getting 5 and 25 for Hogan despite those being better picks. Long story short some think it's a PlayStation game where you always end trades with it more on your side

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Exactly, that’s why you get more picks not less don’t pretend one clubs better than another to any great extent, more picks more chances at the elite talent
Carlton logic. Geelong have hardly had a top 10 pick on 15 years and they are premiership favourites

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
2009 proves the point in many ways, take your shots and hope for the best, Scully has been a fine AFL footballer for a decade, Trengove got wrecked by injury and incompetence.

Teams draft at about 50% in the first round, you can get good real quick if you do what Hawthorn did in 04 with multiple picks early, Melbourne in 14 and 15 did a similar thing and it seemed to be working well until they started trading away all our picks

10 and 19 are in no way the same as 2 and 5.
Plus we were already 'good'
We made a prelim

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne

Again that is not the early picks fault, its the selections fault, and the club's, that the boys go to.

Now why do our early talents struggle at Melbourne, when other club do well with them.
Because we look for a savior from our top talents. We either criticise them to early on, or we put them up on a pedestal. Both wrong ways to treat young talents.

And this is why so many players generally, go better interstate, away from the Victorian fish bowl of AFL.
This is fairly easy to rectify. Keep our kids away from the media hype, and from supporters as much as is possible. So they can grow in relative anonymity, in their first seasons.
Stops their minds from getting warped from the un-real hype and expectations. We need the kids to not get ahead of themselves early on. They need to feel like they have a big job in front of them, to make it.
It keeps them level headed and on their toes. To become the best they can be.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Gawn 27-5, Jetta 29, Lever (we have to cover our tails with his history), Hibberd 30, Hogan, Jeffy 30,,,,
It's a never ending story replenishing the list. Time waits for no player.

It will take 5Yrs to train a replacement No 1 Ruck.
3Yrs to find & train someone for Jetta's role.

Not to mention the holes in our running-class brigade. And this is why we overpayed, for Lever.
Two early 1st Rnd picks, was too high.

Preuss and Hore cover Gawn and Jetta. Salem is Hibberds replacement.

So we need a small forward and for Weid to develop... panic stations

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carlton logic. Geelong have hardly had a top 10 pick on 15 years and they are premiership favourites
Geelong 2001 draft Jimmy Bartel 8, James Kelly 17, Steve Johnson 24 and Gary Ablett 40 f/s would have been top 5, early picks combined with luck built both Geelong and Hawthorn

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
10 and 19 are in no way the same as 2 and 5.
Plus we were already 'good'
We made a prelim
Lewis at 7 as well in 04, we were perhaps on our way to being good built on high picks and getting good value from trades like Hibberd

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Geelong 2001 draft Jimmy Bartel 8, James Kelly 17, Steve Johnson 24 and Gary Ablett 40 f/s would have been top 5, early picks combined with luck built both Geelong and Hawthorn

Can't include a F/S pick because they wouldn't have got one of those playees then.
We took Brayshaw Oliver Weid and Petracca in 2 drafts. If that's not enough then another player won't make a difference

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Preuss and Hore cover Gawn and Jetta. Salem is Hibberds replacement.

So we need a small forward and for Weid to develop... panic stations
Cut it out. Preuss is a 2nd ruck. Never will be in Max's class. Hes a backup. So we need to develop a main young ruck, and no saying yet that Bradtke will be that player.?

Hore is a good medium defender. But he's not a Jetta, for sure. As a stopper. Hore is more a replacement for Hibbo. We haven't really tried out that small defender position yet, IMO.
I think Salem will end up in the midfield, and cetreline.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Cut it out. Preuss is a 2nd ruck. Never will be in Max's class. Hes a backup. So we need to develop a main young ruck, and no saying yet that Bradtke will be that player.?

Hore is a good medium defender. But he's not a Jetta, for sure. As a stopper. Hore is more a replacement for Hibbo. We haven't really tried out that small defender position yet, IMO.
I think Salem will end up in the midfield, and cetreline.

We aren't gonna keep developing for Gawns he's a freak of a ruck and nor do we need to. Preuss is 23 or so ridicolous to write him off. Gawn was a VFL player at the same age.

A lockdown small defender is someone you take as a rookie or the VFL. We don't need a pick for that.

I think Salem should move forward aswell

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The same blokes who say we got ****** over paying 10 and 19 for Lever are the same blokes who say we got ****** over getting 5 and 25 for Hogan despite those being better picks. Long story short some think it's a PlayStation game where you always end trades with it more on your side

We paid two firsts for an injury prone intercept defender who was out of contract. We then let a talented, young KPF who was still under contract go to a club who were desperate for a homegrown key forward and got a decent but not great return on him. In both cases I reckon we blinked first and caved in - pretty much a given we did this with Freo and Mastermind Peter Bell, and the early deal with Adelaide smells the same.

Funny thing with you blokes who don't rate draft picks is that you don't seem to stop complaining about all the holes in our list / trash list cloggers we have despite the fact that that's exactly where you end up when you burn your draft picks for fun and games. We're s**t negotiators, have been for years.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We paid two firsts for an injury prone intercept defender who was out of contract. We then let a talented, young KPF who was still under contract go to a club who were desperate for a homegrown key forward and got a decent but not great return on him. In both cases I reckon we blinked first and caved in - pretty much a given we did this with Freo and Mastermind Peter Bell, and the early deal with Adelaide smells the same.

Funny thing with you blokes who don't rate draft picks is that you don't seem to stop complaining about all the holes in our list / trash list cloggers we have despite the fact that that's exactly where you end up when you burn your draft picks for fun and games. We're **** negotiators, have been for years.

5 + 25 is better than 10 + 19

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

1999 draft was better, IMO. Corey, Enright, Ling, Chapman... I think. Their 2007 to 2011 sides were pretty much built around those two drafts.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't include a F/S pick because they wouldn't have got one of those playees then.
We took Brayshaw Oliver Weid and Petracca in 2 drafts. If that's not enough then another player won't make a difference
Can’t have to many good players, next year cats took Mackie at 7 and Lonegan at 25, talented players always make a difference

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Point is you guys expected we get Lever for a 2nd round pick but wanted us to get 7 firsts for Hogan. It's delusional

Two firsts for a bloke who plays KPF, was still in contract and had a decent body of work under his belt. Not unreasonable. Lever was a very good intercept defender, out of contract and has had question marks over his knees.

Negotiating, using leverage, etc, its not hard to imagine we could have done a fair bit better out of those two deals than what we've got.

And I wanted 8 firsts, and you included as steak knives. You'd make an awesome Freo fan.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Point is you guys expected we get Lever for a 2nd round pick but wanted us to get 7 firsts for Hogan. It's delusional
Lever was always a first rounder no problems there, in my case with the benefit of hindsight I now think 2 first rounders was to much,club should of demand as much for Hogan in the same way the crows did to us

Back