WCE Pick 21 - Allen or Kelly

Who do you pick ?

• 22 year old instant impact gun Mid - Kelly

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • 18 year old sky is the limit swingman - Allen

Votes: 59 88.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Boys and Cloke were busts (Boyd kicking one goal in GF doesn't justify his trade price), Schache has been average so far.

Boyd kicked 3 and took 6 contested marks. Some of them arguably as critical as the ones that won us a flag

Dogs don't win that GF without him. They paid overs and he was still worth it

Realistically it has to be Kelly, especially when you consider that we had already drafted Brander.

Kelly is a top 10 player in the AFL right now, and the odds are that Oscar, notwithstanding his obvious talent, will never scale those heights. Kelly's current output, combined with his paltry draftee salary, probably makes him the most valuable player in the AFL this year.

I like Oscar, but I don't think he's necessarily been as good as we are rating him in this thread. He started strongly with five goals in two weeks clunking marks and showing tonnes of promise. He's failed to have much of an impact since then - lots of dropped marks and missed goals (that Port game notwithstanding). Statistically, he has kicked seven goals, taken six contested marks and had won 35 hitouts in eleven games. It must be said that he has been extremely fortunate to keep his spot in the team, due in no small part to timely injuries and the MC's willingness to keep him in the team, even as a defender.

Oscar may end up being a top line player, but Kelly is a top line player, and at a position of immediate need as we try to win more flags with our current senior group. The fact that Kelly is 24 is inconsequential, as that's the age at which you'd expect a player to hit that level anyway. The benefit to Geelong is that they get that ability for cheap while they are contending.

The better question might be Brander + Kelly vs Allen + Kelly.

Well we wanted Jetta and got Shep and ended up with both. So maybe we might get Kelly and have Oscar ;)

More than that - it was between Shep, Jetta and Kane Lucas, and we briefly had all three!

Like capturing lightning in a bottle wasn’t it?

Can’t believe we let Sugar Kane go..

On Topic - Kelly, as he’d be great right now and we are pushing for B2B.

Not unhappy with Oscar thou, I can see why they drafted him and I think he’ll play a lot of good footy for WCE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically it has to be Kelly, especially when you consider that we had already drafted Brander.

Kelly is a top 10 player in the AFL right now, and the odds are that Oscar, notwithstanding his obvious talent, will never scale those heights. Kelly's current output, combined with his paltry draftee salary, probably makes him the most valuable player in the AFL this year.

I like Oscar, but I don't think he's necessarily been as good as we are rating him in this thread. He started strongly with five goals in two weeks clunking marks and showing tonnes of promise. He's failed to have much of an impact since then - lots of dropped marks and missed goals (that Port game notwithstanding). Statistically, he has kicked seven goals, taken six contested marks and had won 35 hitouts in eleven games. It must be said that he has been extremely fortunate to keep his spot in the team, due in no small part to timely injuries and the MC's willingness to keep him in the team, even as a defender.

Oscar may end up being a top line player, but Kelly is a top line player, and at a position of immediate need as we try to win more flags with our current senior group. The fact that Kelly is 24 is inconsequential, as that's the age at which you'd expect a player to hit that level anyway. The benefit to Geelong is that they get that ability for cheap while they are contending.

Need to wait 4 more years before making that call otherwise we are comparing eggs with cherry tomatoes.

Need to wait 4 more years before making that call otherwise we are comparing eggs with cherry tomatoes.
Then what's the point of the thread?
I don't think you have to wait four years to decide that the known quantity of a top 10 player in the league is worth more than a player who may (but is statistically unlikely to) be that good one day. Allen may be that player one day but the question is who we'd take now, and in my opinion that's Kelly every day of the week.
It's the same reason we wouldn't accept pick 30 for Elliot Yeo, even though that's where he was drafted. A bird in hand and all of that.

I’d almost argue that Oscars flexibility to play multiple positions this year has been more valuable to us than adding Kelly to our midfield. Our midfield has been pretty good most games and I don’t think adding Kelly would change any of our 4 losses to wins.

Throw in that if Kelly was on the list last year, then in all likelihood Sheed would have played out the year in the WAFL. Sheed was a gun in the last month of the season and finals, plus obviously clutch goal. Kelly was s**t in Geelongs final. Having Kelly last year may have actually cost us a Premiership.

So for me, even with hindsight it is Oscar

The answer is clearly Allen, he's going to be a multiple time All-Australian, top 10 player in the league.
Basically a rich mans Pav (who was also thrown all over the ground in his first few years).

I have no doubt we'll get Kelly this year.

Only thing is if Cogs is legit considering us how we make it work.

To think we're gonna have Kelly in our midfield next year...

C Sheed Yeo Gaff
R Naitanui Shuey Kelly

I Redden Hutchings

Top 5 in the AFL now surely.

Best defence in the AFL
Best forward line in the AFL
Now we finally have one of the best midfields.

Scary..

If WCE don't get Kelly in at the end of this year there will be so many melts on bigfooty, particularly if Geelong bag out in the grandfinal and Kelly wins the brownlow.

If WCE don't get Kelly in at the end of this year there will be so many melts on bigfooty, particularly if Geelong bag out in the grandfinal and Kelly wins the brownlow.

Lets be positive, imagine beating Geelong in the Grand final, and then taking Brownlow medalist Kelly from them :)

I have no doubt we'll get Kelly this year.

Only thing is if Cogs is legit considering us how we make it work.

To think we're gonna have Kelly in our midfield next year...

Is the length of Gaffs extension confirmed as 6 years?

Back