List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to the Snooze Fest then.
Most of us are here to talk about football and the Suns, not get into stupid arguments for the sake of it.
If you find two people arguing on the internet entertaining then I feel sorry for you.

On the football front:

Some potential targets to bolster our list.

Toby Mclean. Dynamic player that is being played forward because of the Dogs depth in the midfield. Seems more of a midfielder though. Would bring something different to our squad. Maybe wants to play midfield.

Youngster Josh Rotham has performed in the Eagles side but can't get a game unless injury. Perhaps would be tempted by potential for more game time. Might be waiting for Hurn retirement but the old man feels like he could continue for years.

Some of the GWS young midfielders should be targeted, already behind Kelly, Coniglio (pending off season), Hopper, Taranto, De Boer, Hately + Whitfield, Williams, Greene, PErryman that spend time in there. Plus Cal Ward + top talent Tom Green who will be a giant after the draft.

How do Bonar, O'Halloran, Caldwell see themselves breaking into the team? - I've liked the look of O'Halloran in the NEAFL - try tempt him North with promise with time in the seniors on the wing.

Jordan Cunico had a nice year last year for the Cats but got injured early and not sure where he fits in with Dahlhaus, Tom Atkins, Jordan Clark, Gryan Miers doing well.

Sam Menegola - not sure his contract status but we might be able to pay him more for a short term contract than Geelong can - coming into the league late and likely on very small contracts for his first few years, he probably wants to maximise his money making whilst he can. Maybe a 2 year 500k deal?

Can someone please tell me who we have coming out of contract at the end of this year? Trying to determine how many list spots we have to free up to accommodate new players. Has to be a focus on getting the best combination of mids we can with speed, footskills, size. I need something to pin some hope on.
Pick 1 in ND will help (can’t see us beating Carlton down there which would give us the spoon :coldsweat:) but we need experience as much as talent; we should be able to get someone decent for the Lions pick through the trade period; Pick one in the PSD and Rookie drafts will hopefully help net something better than a GHS or Murdoch this time around. Trade out Jack Martin but I’m not positive his value will be that high come the end of year if he keeps playing on this downward trajectory.
I don’t like the idea of begging for another priority pick but might be time to swallow some pride. Anything helps.
Geez that loss to the Swans was really deflating. Finding it hard to stay positive for the future. Like Alir said after the game, you know we are always going to get overrun eventually.

Can someone please tell me who we have coming out of contract at the end of this year? Trying to determine how many list spots we have to free up to accommodate new players. Has to be a focus on getting the best combination of mids we can with speed, footskills, size. I need something to pin some hope on.
Pick 1 in ND will help (can’t see us beating Carlton down there which would give us the spoon :coldsweat:) but we need experience as much as talent; we should be able to get someone decent for the Lions pick through the trade period; Pick one in the PSD and Rookie drafts will hopefully help net something better than a GHS or Murdoch this time around. Trade out Jack Martin but I’m not positive his value will be that high come the end of year if he keeps playing on this downward trajectory.
I don’t like the idea of begging for another priority pick but might be time to swallow some pride. Anything helps.
Geez that loss to the Swans was really deflating. Finding it hard to stay positive for the future. Like Alir said after the game, you know we are always going to get overrun eventually.
I got some probably wrong:
Martin, Day, Ah Chee, Hanley, Nicholls, Nutting, Crossley, Holman, Dawson, Scheer, Heron, Leslie, Rischitelli, Fletcher, Riordan.
Probably Wigg
Possibly Young

Some people suggest Collins, Miles, GHS, Murdoch are on 1 year contract but I don't believe it.

Agree, that was the most deflating loss for me considering both teams had the same stats. But I don't believe we were overrun. We were flat from the beginning, did not stick tackles, beaten in the contest. We actually won clearances but spread, effort, turnovers killed us. It almost looked like the bye hurt us. A lot of players had a down game, looked out of form. If I look at who played ok - Harbrow, Lukosius, Witts, Hombsh, Wright, Joyce, Weller, Hanley, Ballard, Macpherson - that's it probably.

If you want to cheer up - watch NEAFL game 3rd qtr. It worked for me a little.

Last edited:
I got some probably wrong:
Martin, Day, Ah Chee, Hanley, Nicholls, Nutting, Crossley, Holman, Dawson, Scheer, Heron, Leslie, Rischitelli, Fletcher, Riordan.
Also probably Collins, Wigg, Young.

Some people suggest Miles, GHS, Murdoch are on 1 year contract but I don't believe it.

Agree, that was the most deflating loss for me considering both teams had the same stats. But I don't believe we were overrun. We were flat from the beginning, did not stick tackles, beaten in the contest. We actually won clearances but spread, effort, turnovers killed us. It almost looked like the bye hurt us. A lot of players had a down game, looked out of form. If I look at who played ok - Harbrow, Lukosius, Witts, Hombsh, Wright, Joyce, Weller, Hanley, Ballard, Macpherson - that's it probably.

If you want to cheer up - watch NEAFL game 3rd qtr. It worked for me a little.
Cheers!
I’d prefer to hang onto
Day, Ah Chee, Hanley, Nutting, Crossley, Holman, Scheer, Fletcher, Riordan, Collins and Miles if the price is right.

I did watch the NEAFL game just to see how Izak went. Hopefully he is in the seniors in 3-4 weeks.

Most of us are here to talk about football and the Suns, not get into stupid arguments for the sake of it.
If you find two people arguing on the internet entertaining then I feel sorry for you.

On the football front:

Some potential targets to bolster our list.

Toby Mclean. Dynamic player that is being played forward because of the Dogs depth in the midfield. Seems more of a midfielder though. Would bring something different to our squad. Maybe wants to play midfield.

Youngster Josh Rotham has performed in the Eagles side but can't get a game unless injury. Perhaps would be tempted by potential for more game time. Might be waiting for Hurn retirement but the old man feels like he could continue for years.

Some of the GWS young midfielders should be targeted, already behind Kelly, Coniglio (pending off season), Hopper, Taranto, De Boer, Hately + Whitfield, Williams, Greene, PErryman that spend time in there. Plus Cal Ward + top talent Tom Green who will be a giant after the draft.

How do Bonar, O'Halloran, Caldwell see themselves breaking into the team? - I've liked the look of O'Halloran in the NEAFL - try tempt him North with promise with time in the seniors on the wing.

Jordan Cunico had a nice year last year for the Cats but got injured early and not sure where he fits in with Dahlhaus, Tom Atkins, Jordan Clark, Gryan Miers doing well.

Sam Menegola - not sure his contract status but we might be able to pay him more for a short term contract than Geelong can - coming into the league late and likely on very small contracts for his first few years, he probably wants to maximise his money making whilst he can. Maybe a 2 year 500k deal?

Some good options suggested

If Geelong manage to keep Kelly then surely they would need to shed some salary and Menegola at the right trade price would be a good fit.

McLean would also be handy but would cost a bit more in terms of a trade.

I was looking at ways that the AFL could justify giving us a priority pick after our first Rd pick and noted that the Blues had won about 10 more games than us in the last 9 years. Hopefully something gets done to get some more elite mids in the door as I don't see too many on the list that are going to develop into elite.

Some good options suggested

If Geelong manage to keep Kelly then surely they would need to shed some salary and Menegola at the right trade price would be a good fit.

McLean would also be handy but would cost a bit more in terms of a trade.

I was looking at ways that the AFL could justify giving us a priority pick after our first Rd pick and noted that the Blues had won about 10 more games than us in the last 9 years. Hopefully something gets done to get some more elite mids in the door as I don't see too many on the list that are going to develop into elite.

If GWS win the GF and we get the spoon I think we’d have a compelling argument to have parity picks given to us to make up the ten first round draft pick shortfall

If GWS win the GF and we get the spoon I think we’d have a compelling argument to have parity picks given to us to make up the ten first round draft pick shortfall

It's selling it to the other clubs that is the issue.

Gil is an absolute puppet and a moron, and has no foresight or real care for the Suns, just keeping his job.

The fact that the Crows have got the other top 2 pick means no one will be shedding tears if that pick gets pushed from 2 to 3 if we get a priority pick(s)

Won’t happen Bods

Giving us another zone where people actually play football might help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iv

I’ve given up on that.
Hope at some point they run out of puff
Much rather barrack for our own failure.
I won’t be let down that way

Our belief in our own ineptitude has rarely been cause for question.

I like our fight and competitiveness now but the lack of talent and constant injuries is something that has dogged us since inception

Our belief in our own ineptitude has rarely been cause for question.

I like our fight and competitiveness now but the lack of talent and constant injuries is something that has dogged us since inception

Ran out of legs.
In need of Bowes and Ainsworth without them our midfield rotation is dire

Ran out of legs.
In need of Bowes and Ainsworth without them our midfield rotation is dire
Yep. Martin is a waste of time in the midfield. Average engine. Needs to be stationed permanently up forward where he is more dangerous in the air and less likely to fumble on the ground in heavy midfield traffic.

Yes pick 1, sorry Adelaide. Going to pick Rowell, and trade next year first Rd for Gould, Taheny, kemp. Load up second Rd for next year academy players (Davies and Pescud). That is how you trade for academy players.

Last edited:
What does pick 1 mean, ? we are the worst club in the league that’s what it means. We have only had 1 No1 pick in our history Swallow and now we are odds on for another one. The club is a laughing stock.
Really don’t want the spoon but I cannot see how we avoid it now. Where is our next win going to come from? Our percentage is shitzen.
The only positive I see with pick one is we absolutely get to choose the player we think is going to help us out the most. But we need more than one player to improve our standing.

Really don’t want the spoon but I cannot see how we avoid it now. Where is our next win going to come from? Our percentage is ****zen.
The only positive I see with pick one is we absolutely get to choose the player we think is going to help us out the most. But we need more than one player to improve our standing.
I don’t see any positive in getting pick one, the top 2 ranked players are Vic Metro kids so likely gone at the end of their contract. More concerning is we are going backwards, we can pretend otherwise but ladder position doesn’t lie

I don’t see any positive in getting pick one, the top 2 ranked players are Vic Metro kids so likely gone at the end of their contract. More concerning is we are going backwards, we can pretend otherwise but ladder position doesn’t lie
Not sure about that. The Lions were stone cold last in 2017 and yet the general perception was they were improving, heading in the right direction.

Even if last place is ours, we have to try and mimick that type of season — for good chunks of it so far, we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back