The Real Federal Politics Discussion Thread (No Left v Right)

Remove this Banner Ad

We can agree to differ but I'm talking about one person, you're making a broad generalisation about literally millions of people.
We both know you were making a broad generalisation yourself based on the man's religious and political beliefs, you got pwned mate.

Last edited:
We can agree to differ but I'm talking about one person, you're making a broad generalisation about literally millions of people.

...? OK, so if it's not a "broad generalisation" based on what you generally perceive about ScoMo, then what is it EXACTLY about ScoMo that leads you to believe he is a "kiddie fidler"?

My belief that Scummo looks like a kiddie fiddler is held as strongly and is as heartfelt as Folau's belief that I'm going to hell.

Dude, the difference is that Folau's belief is a RELIGIOUS belief. And we have anti discrimination laws based on religion.

Christ, your posts are really dim-witted lately. What's up?

...? OK, so if it's not a "broad generalisation" based on what you generally perceive about ScoMo, then what is it EXACTLY about ScoMo that leads you to believe he is a "kiddie fidler"?

Dude, the difference is that Folau's belief is a RELIGIOUS belief. And we have anti discrimination laws based on religion.

Christ, your posts are really dim-witted lately. What's up?
A belief based on observation is more rational than a belief based on RELIGION.

Im a firm believer that you lose your right to complain if you dont vote.

I do agree, but I go even further that people who remain willfully ignorant of politics or who are ironically detached from politics are not displaying good moral character.

It really doesnt take much effort. That said, politicians dont do much in the way of inspiring us through great deeds and great thinking.

This is true, but democracy can be taken away by the power hungry.

I'd definitely like to see further restrictions on donations to political parties and limits on political advertising. Ideally, how-to-vote cards should be banned as well.

Should people who debate the existence of man-made climate change be treated the same as flat-earthers? Both suggestions are ridiculous and an invitation to ridicule should never be denied.

Should people who debate the existence of man-made climate change be treated the same as flat-earthers? Both suggestions are ridiculous and an invitation to ridicule should never be denied.

But the earth has never been flat - whereas the natural state of the earth has always been for the climate to be changing - that's why the Sahara was once forested, there was a landbridge between the UK and Europe etc.

In fact, why is it assumed that the natural state of things is for a ice cap of a certain size to be located at each pole? Why is it presumed that 2.0152% of the Earth must always be under permafrost? Just things to think about.

You can take the Earth as it is and adapt, or you can continue to try to change the climate of the Earth, but still see temperatures rise as emissions falls - maybe that tells you something.

No good will come of the Stage Three tax cuts. The most well-off 10% of Australians will become even more well-off while the safety net and health systems suffer.

People on $150,000 don't need an extra few grand to spend on another watch. As a decent society, we implement fair progeessive taxes and we need that money to hire enough nurses so that our public hospitals aren't bursting at the seams. We need that money to look after sick, vulnerable and out-of-work people. Not those who get earn two grand per week in their pocket, those who can't even afford the rent or three meals a day.

Cutting taxes for the wealthy, and effectively locking in cuts to essential services those wealthy people don't have to rely on, is absolutely disgraceful.

No good will come of the Stage Three tax cuts. The most well-off 10% of Australians will become even more well-off while the safety net and health systems suffer.

People on $150,000 don't need an extra few grand to spend on another watch. As a decent society, we implement fair progeessive taxes and we need that money to hire enough nurses so that our public hospitals aren't bursting at the seams. We need that money to look after sick, vulnerable and out-of-work people. Not those who get earn two grand per week in their pocket, those who can't even afford the rent or three meals a day.

Cutting taxes for the wealthy, and effectively locking in cuts to essential services those wealthy people don't have to rely on, is absolutely disgraceful.

Maybe we just need government to get better at running things.

I know. I jest.

Friend of mine just started in a State department. They always promoted from within and had never had a properly trained and experienced project manager before. Ever.

Within a few weeks he is doing presentations to the Director and amazing them with actually useful information.

He is also the last one there at 4.30pm and on Fridays gets told to go home at Midday because most people dont bother turning up.

So yeah, Im sure there is only a few tens of billions dollars waste across governments across the country. Because what are the odds he just lucked upon the worst run vs the odds they are all pretty much the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There might be some waste in the public service but my point still stands. The Stage Three tax cuts are taking money away from people who desperately need it and funnelling it back to those who don't need it.

In a decent society, those of us who can look after ourselves need to contribute towards looking after those who can't look after themselves. The Liberal definition of 'can't' in that last sentence is narrow. Fair enough, it's an ideology. But **** me if I think a person who can't afford private cover waiting a year for surgery can look after themself.

There might be some waste in the public service but my point still stands. The Stage Three tax cuts are taking money away from people who desperately need it and funnelling it back to those who don't need it.

In a decent society, those of us who can look after ourselves need to contribute towards looking after those who can't look after themselves. The Liberal definition of 'can't' in that last sentence is narrow. Fair enough, it's an ideology. But **** me if I think a person who can't afford private cover waiting a year for surgery can look after themself.
Basically if you earn say 70k a year you get about 2.4% back in 2025. If you earn 200k you get 5.8% back. Once again looking after the rich. I'm lucky I'm permanently relocating to another festering shithole..

• Will Albo lead the Labor Party to the next election?
I think Albo will do a good job and see through to the next election. He's a union hack which will work against him but he's a person you could have a beer with, which is a great personality trait for a politician.

Steering away from the worst elements of the union supporter base will be a real measure of integrity for Albo and Labor.

The curret strategy of trying to meddle with the CFMMEU, is a dangerous political move which says it's OK for governments and political parties to attack and interferre private enterprises and organisations, for the purpose of stealing their funds. The right course would simply be, to expel the CFMMEU from labor and simply not accept donations until the union reforms

• What will be the legaslative agenda for the Coalition?
The next 3 years is one of tweaking policy and setting the long term agenda, rather than sweeping reforms.

The recent income tax cuts aligns us with global trends. Combine this with the loss of petrol taxes over time, we will need to reform our property taxes, increase GST and introduce wealth taxes. The discussions should start now, to ensure smooth transitions and implementation over the next decade.

Getting our budgets under control is another priority. The key to this, is respecting our constitution and handing back service delivery to the states.

Aboriginal referendum and treaty. Hopefully this is limited to property right damages rather than resulting in a two tier race system enshrining racial discrimination.

Dealing with the growth of China. It is inevitable but we need to plan economically, legally, military and regionally.

Our energy policy is a shambles as it followed the failed German route. We need to discuss nuclear power and every other taboo, to ensure we are ready for the EV. Otherwise we will find car emissions will double, like in Germany, as the power grid (thus the EV) is twice as dirty as diesel engines. We also have to broaden the definition of "pollution" beyond CO2 otherwise dirty gas, NOx and sulphur remain outside of the scope.

In short, a steady hand and preparing the public for the right change is more important than change.

• How will the Senate impact the Coalition and its legislative agenda?

Very little as a steady hand and preparing the public for the right change is more important than change.

Religious freedoms seem to be a priority which only seemed to be shared with hillsong during election

But I have a question

If we needed a popular vote/survey on our sexuality, shouldn’t we have one on our secularity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back