Game Day Sandringham v Richmond Trevor Baker Oval Sandringham 2.10 29/9 - Live Stream

Remove this Banner Ad

Coleman-Jones (a second year ruckman) currently has DOUBLE the amount of touches as Collier-Dawkins (a midfielder).

No first round pick midfielder should ever be this far off the pace. I think he will be a monumental bust.

You can picture the recruiters saying "He's kid with a lot of development in his body left" "He goes through the middle a bit but struggle to find the ball" "We may have the next Fyfe"

The trouble is Fyfe is a once a decade type stroke of luck (almost) in which his ball winning ability was hidden by playing forward, then accelerated by turning into a hulk like midfielder.

Picking midfielders who struggle to find the ball in the juniors is fraught with danger. Spending a first round pick on them is madness.

You can picture the recruiters saying "He's kid with a lot of development in his body left" "He goes through the middle a bit but struggle to find the ball" "We may have the next Fyfe"

The trouble is Fyfe is a once a decade type stroke of luck (almost) in which his ball winning ability was hidden by playing forward, then accelerated by turning into a hulk like midfielder.

Picking midfielders who struggle to find the ball in the juniors is fraught with danger. Spending a first round pick on them is madness.

Paid off with Dangerfield...

When you're picking as late as we were, you have to make some trade-offs. Will it pay off? Who knows, but the potential is there.

Do NoT make a call on a first year player 5min into their career that’s armchair nuffy stuff. I made that mistake once thinking Pettifer was destined to be a star after his first game and have probably only made one bad call since ,,,,,when I said the 2017 GF would be close
Pettifer is a star.
For Kyabram. ;)
No armchair Nuffy stuff about it.
Each time i've seen him play he's been underwhelming.

Just out of curiosity do you watch the reserves games live at the ground .
Or live on tv or live streaming
99% of the time.Online or if lucky on Tv.
And yes i know what your going to say.You don't see half of it on tv etc.I get that.But under the same premises its the same for the other players.Can only judge on what i can see.

99% of the time.Online or if lucky on Tv.
And yes i know what your going to say.You don't see half of it on tv etc.I get that.But under the same premises its the same for the other players.Can only judge on what i can see.
Some of those live feeds do my head in. I find the ones at Punt Road particularly bad and can’t pick up players on the far side of the ground.
Still better than no coverage I suppose and commentators are usually entertaining

Last edited:
Some of those live feeds do my head in. I find the ones at Punt Road particularly bad and can’t pick up players on the far side of the ground.
Still better than no coverage I suppose and commentators are usually entertaining
Appreciate that it,s better than nothing thats for sure.

Paid off with Dangerfield...

When you're picking as late as we were, you have to make some trade-offs. Will it pay off? Who knows, but the potential is there.

Potential is definitely there despite some up and down performances. At the time thought he was the right pick and still do

Walsh, Rozee, Bailey Smith, Blakey, Butters, Jordan Clarke, Dursma - have all been great first year players but were all picked before RCD (pick 20).

After pick 20 the 2 best first year talents in the competition have been Stack and Ross.

Last edited:

Once again RCD averaged 18 disposals a game last year in the U18s playing as a forward with bursts in the middle. Let him build his tank over a couple of preseasons and then judge whether he is a bust or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Butler wear 11 and Higgins 5 in the VFL?

Some numbers aren't printed at the start of each year. Ie; they would likely never print 4, 8, 9 or 18 because of the likelihood of needing the numbers. When Vlastuin returned via a VFL game he also wore a different number. I think the 11 was made because they knew Castagna was always returning via the VFL in R1.

axmTUVT.png

q4ENGgi.png

Mav Weller

26 disposals, one goal, six clearances, five tackles & eight inside-50s

“In the thick of everything, 18 contested possessions, hit the scoreboard and is leading by example—loving his attitude amongst the team.”

Jack Higgins

26 disposals, two goals, three tackles & six clearances

“Brought a tremendous amount of energy and excitement to the team. Hit the scoreboard and was lively all day.”

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

22 disposals, seven rebound-50s & four marks

“Was clean in tough conditions, was strong over the ball, provided plenty of run and rebound. He’s in great form at the moment.”

Jacob Townsend

21 disposals, three goals, 12 tackles, five clearances & six inside-50s

“Started like a house on fire, kicked three goals in the first quarter, had 12 tackles and was hard to stop all day.”

Patrick Naish

20 disposals, three rebound-50s & three marks

“Played half-back for the game, defended really well and was still able to find the ball.”

Liam Baker

19 disposals, six tackles & three clearances

“Was clean and used the ball very well, 14 contested possessions was pleasing to see.”

Dan Butler

14 disposals, one goal, four tackles & four inside-50s

“Provided bursts of speed and skill. He looked good when he was able to find space.”

Connor Menadue

13 disposals, four tackles & four inside-50s

“Played midfield and forward in a bit of a different role and we’re exploring that side of his game. He was able to use the ball forward of centre with precision to set-up scoring opportunities. He also only played the first-half as he was the carry-over for the AFL game on Sunday.”

Jake Aarts

12 disposals, five tackles & two clearances

“Was able to play a variety of roles, forward and through the midfield. Not a high possession game but was still able to impact contests like he usually does.”

Noah Balta

11 disposals, five one-percenters & four rebound-50s

“Played predominantly as our deepest defender and positioned well in the back three. His big, strong, aggressive spoils were a feature of his day.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins

11 disposals, six tackles & three clearances

“Was a quietish day but threw his weight around laid some big tackles. He just wasn’t able to get on the end of any easy ball.”

Ryan Garthwaite

Seven disposals, four marks & nine tackles

“One of the back-three that structured us up really well. Had nine tackles and was able to pinch-hit in the ruck and was lively and competitive around the ball in those moments.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back