Preview Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Blundstone Arena, Sunday 7th July, 3:20PM AEST *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
5ZN4ePp.png

Preview
North Melbourne v St.Kilda

665835_thumb.jpg

After much was spoken about of the Saints in the last week, a much better performance was shown after the demolition the Saints took against the Lions a week prior. Still, it wasn't good enough, and a poor final quarter saw the opposing Tigers kick away to win by 33 points.

North Melbourne are somewhat a rejuvenated team after the sacking of former coach Brad Scott, and ended Saturday night with a comprehensive 44 point win against last years Grand Finalists in Collingwood. It was the Kangaroos fourth win from their past five games.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jimmy Webster, Jake Carlisle, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Hunter Clark
C: Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Dan Hannebery
HF: Nick Hind, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair
F: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Ben Long
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steven, Jack Steele
I/C: Nick Coffield, Blake Acres, Luke Dunstan, Matthew Parker

North Melbourne Best 22
B:
Marley Williams, Scott D. Thompson, Sam Durdin
HB: Shaun Atley, Robbie Tarrant, Luke McDonald
C: Trent Dumont, Jy Simpkin, Jared Polec
HF: Tarryn Thomas, Mason Wood, Kyron Hayden
F: Nick Larkey, Ben Brown, Kayne Turner
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Jack Ziebell
I/C: Jed Anderson, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Jasper Pittard, Cameron Zurhaar

Medical Room

689283_gl.jpg

St Kilda luckily got through the game without any injury concerns.

For North Melbourne, Kyron Hayden's AFL debut came to an unfortunate early end when he hurt his Achilles just prior to half-time. The young midfielder had looked at ease at senior level, but appeared to hurt himself in an innocuous incident that occurred off the ball.

Preview

8626706-3x2-700x467.jpg

After a very poor showing against the Brisbane Lions in Round 14 the Saints were hell-bent on making amends for their poor performance and would have a chance to do so against Richmond at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon in what was the fourth installment of Maddies Match. Fight Like Maddie is what the Saints did for the best part of three quarters, attacking the Tigers with high pressure and kicking straight for the first time in a long time, going into the half with a 4 point lead having kicked 7 straight goals. In the third term it was much more of an arm wrestle, and the final quarter saw the Tigers flex their muscle to extend the 8 point 3-quarter-time lead to a game high 33 points at the final siren.

It was St.Kilda's eighth loss of the year as the pressure mounts on senior coach Alan Richardson, with a finals berth starting to slip away for the injury ravaged Saints. In what was a disappointing end to a much improved performance, one of the most improved players in the competition this year - young ruckman Rowan Marshall continues his rise to the top of the AFL's rucks, with another stand-out display earning him best on ground honours for the day. Marshall finished with an impressive 19 disposals to go along with 33 hit-outs, 9 marks, 3 tackles and a goal.

Other notable performances included defender Josh Battle (20 disposals, 11 marks, 5 tackles), half back Hunter Clark (23 possessions, 8 marks), key forward Josh Bruce (13 touches, 4 marks, 3 goals) and in his 99th game - Jack Billings (26 touches, 6 marks).

Since the sacking of former senior coach Brad Scott, North Melbourne have seemingly risen from the ashes under interim coach Rhyce Shaw. Since taking over from Scott, Shaw's men have won three and lost one - wins against Richmond, Gold Coast & Collingwood, with their only loss in that time coming against GWS by 23 points. The Kangaroos sit just outside the eight but their hot run of mid-year form has them pushing those above them for a sneaky chance to enter the eight late into the year. With both the Saints and Kangaroos at 6-8 after 15 Rounds, this week couldn't be any bigger.

Last Saturday night the 'Roos went up against last years Grand Finalists, Collingwood, and dominated from the outset to eventually come out 44 point winners in what could be the best win of North Melbourne's year.

Obviously there were multiple stand-outs in North's big win, including Jack Ziebell (25 touches, 5 marks, 5 tackles and 3 goals), Ben Cunnington (37 possessions & 4 tackles), and speedster Jed Anderson (26 disposals, 5 marks & 7 tackles).

Potential changes

jack-steven_r7u57he7v00x12mb0gb6f0027.jpg

There has been some talk of four time Trevor Barker medallist Jack Steven making his return to the senior side after having returned to the club and training fully for the last few weeks after his time off due to mental health concerns.

Other notable inclusions could be Jimmy Webster, Jack Lonie and Jack Newnes.

Key Match-Ups

689203_gl.jpg

Jack Ziebell
Not much needs to be said here, Ziebell is one of North Melbourne's best players and has the ability to consistently kick goals whilst also able to move into the forward line on occasion. St.Kilda run-with man Jack Steele thankfully is back in the senior team after a kneecap dislocation a month ago, so one would think he would be the obvious match-up for Ziebell. If Steele goes to Ben Cunnington instead (who had 37 touches of his own last weekend) then the Saints must find a suitable opponent for the 'Roos skipper.

Kayne Turner
Not your regular household name, Kayne Turner could be a chance to have a big game against the Saints on Sunday afternoon. St.Kilda in consecutive weeks now have allowed opposing small forwards to run riot, with Charlie Cameron kicking five goals a fortnight ago and last Sunday it was Sydney Stack who bobbed up with three of his own. If the Saints aren't able to find a suitable match-up for Turner, who kicked 2 goals last weekend against Collingwood, he could be in for a big afternoon.

Tip

689319_gl.jpg

St.Kilda were much improved on the weekend against Richmond, and it was an obvious response to a lacklustre effort against Brisbane the week prior. North Melbourne have been in some of the best form of any team over the past four games and will be looking to continue it this Sunday in an unlikely bid to challenge for a place in the top eight. With the game being in Tasmania I think the Saints may find it very difficult given the conditions and St.Kilda's inaccuracy in front of goal. North Melbourne have been a very physical team under Rhyce Shaw and I don't doubt that it continues on Sunday.

Kangaroos by 24 points.

Thoughts?

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
My boy just turned 5 and got tickets to this game for his bday from his grandfather and hand knitted saints beanie and scarf from his grandmother. My in-laws got him an indigenous saints top as well. When he opened the tickets he lost his sh*t, so pumped to see his first game.

Hopefully we don’t get pumped....

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
My boy just turned 5 and got tickets to this game for his bday from his grandfather and hand knitted saints beanie and scarf from his grandmother. My in-laws got him an indigenous saints top as well. When he opened the tickets he lost his sh*t, so pumped to see his first game.

We were good for most of the game.

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
Very happy with today, I was speaking to my dad, who is a hawk, I think we are one forward, (Max King) and two midfielders, (Langdon and Coglingo) away from being a good team. Wonder if Coglingo saw something today that excited him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

Magic mate. Best moments of your life. Not watching the Saints, but spending time with your boy.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very happy with today, I was speaking to my dad, who is a hawk, I think we are one forward, (Max King) and two midfielders, (Langdon and Coglingo) away from being a good team. Wonder if Coglingo saw something today that excited him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In all honesty, your old man is being nice. Mainly because he’s won so many flags in the last 30 years it doesn’t really matter anymore.

Most teams are only a forward and a couple of mids short from a good side. The issue is getting them. We’ll be getting them through the draft most likely. The traditional hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back