Autopsy Round 15, 2019: St.Kilda v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

We actually did not. That is made up and completely forgets there is opposition. The last post you said it was the first quarter now it’s the second. How anyone can tell from tv we decided to do that is beyond me. Actbeyomg most people. Even more amazing is how we can decide to tell 18 players to do that with the runner being only on the ground for 30 seconds. Be interesting how you explain that. Must be fast to get around to every player.
No we played witches hats. Didn't you see that at the ground?

Perhaps we should have bombed it long into the flood like we always do...

I think it's ironic that for all the talk about getting first round draft picks, probably our best pick up in the last 5 years is Marshall who came out of the rookie draft.

Also I thought today that Hanners, Ross, Dunstan, Steele and Acres made us look a bit one dimensional (slow) at the stoppages. We badly need someone with zip to get through the traffic not just feed it outside to the runners. Admittedly, Hanners and Steele just being back from injury may have something to do with that.

Stuv can't get back quick enough.

Well the season is done.

What I would like to see done now in terms of getting ready for 2020 is:

Play Gresh as a small forward again so that he can find touch and confidence.

We do not have the players to fix our midfield this year, but we should try some players with good skills in the midfield. Give Acres, Sinclair and Paton all more midfield action. See if they can make it there.

Let Clark and Coffield settle in down back.

Keep playing Hind.

Long had his best game all year. So retain for now.

DMak is good in the air, but poor on the ground. Give White or Rice a turn.

Keep playing Marshall as our No 1. You can see him blooming before our eyes.

Last edited:
So why would we do it when the first half of the first quarter our run and carry game was breaking them apart?? Once we slowed our movement it was all over and a matter of times until the tigers cut through us from half back with their handball and rebound game.
First half we caught them on fast break rebound football.....you could see the momentum change half way thru the second actually.

Then they returned the favour in the second half kicked most of their goals through fast break up the guts with Dusty getting involved....we just couldn't stop it.....they had too much skill that we sadly do not have.

Looked structurally better with Marshall forward in last QTR but we got cut up by their rucks...Acres is not good at manning up their rucks they kicked 3-4 goals from ruckman link up play ..having said that he was trying to be the link man.

Bruce played as well as he could, Membrey likewise.

Hanabery was okay second game back just looked rusty as did Carlisle... they need more time on the park.

Coff Hunter Hind and Long were great.

The rest same old same old. They were better than us when it mattered despite our best efforts. Not thru lack of trying.

Teams read our game plan after QTR time and adjust and that's it...we have nothing else to go to. Unless we develop the 45 degree kick back into the centre corridor and flow from there through handball to 50 arc either shoot or hit up leading fwd we are never going to be any better than we are now.

It is the hardest kick in football and the riskiest.

Blood more... play....Langlands and White get back Stuv and we will be competitive win a few lose most.

Hire a new coach....who in fact cares who it is.....just need a fresh voice as Richo sadly is soiled goods.

Rats Scott Banger who cares...love child of Lethlen played Ammos with him do not care get him in just Richo must go.

No-one is buying what he is selling.

I actually was feeling sorry for Bruce. Was having to fly for miracle marks to give us a contest against 3+ tigers in our forward line most entries. Had a good honest game I thought
Yeah I thought he competed well, good to see him finally get on the end of a few too. He was definitely a presence down there and made a difference when he was near it in the F50.

Bruce is a lot of things, but lazy he is not.

His second and third efforts put half his teammates first efforts to shame
He is incredibly lucky that McCartin and King are injured or he'd be in the 2s. Sorry but his efforts are lazy, he doesn't present hard, he doesn't chase hard, he is a lazy footballer going through the motions and holding us back from being a better side. How many tackles today? Yes, zero. 4 marks. 2 frees against none for. Seems obvious to me, he clearly has some fans here which is great but the reality is he is a very average footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is incredibly lucky that McCartin and King are injured or he'd be in the 2s. Sorry but his efforts are lazy, he doesn't present hard, he doesn't chase hard, he is a lazy footballer going through the motions and holding us back from being a better side. How many tackles today? Yes, zero. 4 marks. 2 frees against none for. Seems obvious to me, he clearly has some fans here which is great but the reality is he is a very average footballer.
He isn't lazy, he just lacks skill. Like the team as a whole come to think of it.

I went and had a look at the game, and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what that continual sideways criss crossing was about.

Saints should have had a 4 goal lead half way through the 3rd quarter based upon general play.

It killed your forwards.

Disappointing to lose but can't fault the effort at all. We needed to respond strongly and I thought we did, was always going to be a big ask against a Richmond side desperate for a win and getting 7 of their better players back.

Loved Hunter Clark's game, he was fantastic. That's the standard for the rest of the season from him. Coffield was really composed with the ball too, so it's great to see him find some confidence - hoping he can build on it now for the last 8 or so games.

Why are we looking at bringing in another ruck? Marshall needs to improve on his tap work but wow do we have a seriously good talent on our hands. He's probably the 3rd or 4th best ruck in the league in terms of around the ground work right now, so if we can get some more improvement in ruck contests and provide more first use to our mids that will go a long way.

Billings and Gresham were okay, below their best but still found enough of the ball. Thought Hannebery was quite rusty but fought on well, Carlisle still quite underdone. Good to have him back but not sure how beneficial it is at the moment.

first game I've seen clark really pick up the pace of the game. Shows how important it is getting a few free rides when you're just breaking in rather than getting dropped all the time. Well done to the coaches for sticking him on a back flank where he can get up to speed.

some great signs, much better than our previous form, couldn't maintain the rage but at least our intent was where it should be

first game I've seen clark really pick up the pace of the game. Shows how important it is getting a few free rides when you're just breaking in rather than getting dropped all the time. Well done to the coaches for sticking him on a back flank where he can get up to speed.

some great signs, much better than our previous form, couldn't maintain the rage but at least our intent was where it should be
Clark was superb. Loved his work in traffic. Beat some good players one on one too.

Hanners wasn’t as bad as what people are suggesting. Stuffed a couple of kicks but he is a presence and will get better.
Carlisle is not a FB - big mistake at the selection table. Should have used Brown in that role.
Really happy and relieved to see Nick C and Hunter have good games. After all the negative write ups.
Again similar to Q3 from last week when it is one way traffic coming out of the middle we have no answer. We desperately need a strong clearance mid to work with Roma - hope Gubby’s got something cooking.

I think everyone knows he is average but to suggest he is a lazy footballer is way off. He would easily be our hardest working player. He will drop some marks and make some mistakes, but I have never left a game questioning whether Bruce gave his all that day and I can't say the same of his teammates.

I think everyone knows he is average but to suggest he is a lazy footballer is way off. He would easily be our hardest working player. He will drop some marks and make some mistakes, but I have never left a game questioning whether Bruce gave his all that day and I can't say the same of his teammates.
I agree the one thing he does do is work his butt off it cannot be easy playing in that forward line with how we deliver the ball

Just wanted to come over and wish you all the best for the rest of the year some good kids coming through Marshall is a star and best of luck with getting rid of Richo and getting your club back

Have stayed away for a few weeks intentionally to try and get some perspective on this club. Thankfully I think I have now got to the point where I can just accept where we are at. Today was an absolute blueprint St.Kilda performance that just reinforced (to me anyway) that for all the surface noise, we have simply not improved at all this year.

15 rounds in and:

· We have 10 scores between 76 & 66. 70 again today. In total, we have scored 2 more goals than we had at the same point last year
·
We have given up the second most points of any team. This time last year we had also given up the second most points of any team
·
We are bottom 4 on percentage and 10% off the next best. Last year we were also bottom 4 on percentage and 8% off the next best
·
We are 2-6 in the VFL against AFL aligned sides. Last year we also had 2 wins, making us 4-16 across the last 18 months

That is pretty much identical reading. Basically, the only difference I can see is that we have had a better draw this year. Yes we have 3 wins instead of 6 (woohoo), but three wins have come against GC or Carlton, and 5 of those 6 wins have been by 13 points or under.

We are exactly the same mediocre, dour, try really hard to be average football team that we have been for 4 years. Results fluctuate marginally, but we belong somewhere between 10th and 16th. We haven’t really improved at all.

But I have to say, it was nice to watch today having accepted that we haven’t improved, and without being as emotionally invested as normal.

Ordinarily I would be really upset about giving up 100+ points for the 4th time in 6 weeks. Or watching Ross hit his 10,000th nine iron into forward 50 this season. Or watching Long TWICE mark on 50, then ignore the handball to Savage and proceed to completely miss everything. Or watching McKenzie attempt to play football.

But simply embracing that this is the standard we now accept as a club makes it much easier to watch. I can’t change or influence anything, so just accepting that Richo is coach, Ross is captain and we try really hard but aren’t very good at football is somewhat liberating. Accepting that we won’t get any better anytime soon also allows me to lower my expectations, and I now just accept that being barely mediocre is actually okay.

Not sure if it qualifies me as ECO, but I just don’t think I give a F**k anymore. And I really don’t think I will until something pretty significant changes

Last edited:
I thought I’d look at the experience between the two teams as I see that as a big reason for our last quarter fade outs. Below is the teams as the afl app has them lined up with how many games they have played.

DMac (46) Carlisle (126). Sav (155)
Edwards (244) Lynch (145) Caddy(150)

Wilkie (14) Battle (21) Clark (21)
Lambert (84) Bolton (17) Rioli (66)

Billings (99) Ross (116) Hanna (210)
Ellis (165) Prestia (144) McIntoch (88)

Hind (3) Bruce (105) Sinc (78)
Stack (12) Vlastuin (130) Houli (196)

Gresh (76) Membrey (84) Long (23)
Astbury (118) Broad (43) Grimes (140)

Marshal (25) Dunstan (95) Steele (70)
Soldo (12) Cotchin (226) Martin (214)

Acres (68) Parker (14) Coff (12)
Castagna (65) Chol (3) Short (60)

Paton (10)
Graham (30)

Saints ave games - 66.8
Tigers ave games -106.9

We have a long way to go before we’ll see this groups best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back