Review Round 15, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay is a key position forward. One of his main tasks for us is to be a dominant key forward and that is to kick goals. His tally this season is not that great for a key forward.
Sorry but kicking goals is the icing on the cake, so much more to the role than that. Yeah it would be great if he'd kicked 30 goals already but without him playing his role we wouldn't be doing as well as we are.

What did people think of Bundys game? Created a few scoring opportunities but it was a pretty big step back from the St Kilda game. He’ll hold his spot but he’ll want to have more of an influence against GWS. Maybe get up the ground more.
Very similar to Taylor who had a blinder and then reverted back to his prior form . The good thing is that we now have guys vying for this spot who are capable of having influence on their day such as Lewy and Bundy have shown. Bundy obviously offers more defensively than Lewy and they're both now fringe players fighting for their place on the list.

But you wouldn't be unhappy seeing either of them named given the outstanding games they've managed to play even if it was once.

Our tackling improvement has been one of the delights of the season. I haven’t seen us tackle this well in a decade.

How about Rich’s tackle in the second half. It was Mitch Robinsonesque.

Our tackling improvement has been one of the delights of the season. I haven’t seen us tackle this well in a decade.

We're starting to see the benefits of a few pre seasons into a lot of these players, but I think its largely down to attitude. I grew up in QLD and played rugby league for a while and my first coach told me that tackling is largely about attitude, you get an attitude that you can tackle anyone and tackle them hard they you will get it right more times than not. I think we're seeing that attitude come forward as the guys get more confidence in their physical abilities. Its also a avalanche affect. If you get one guy tackling hard then you're the odd one out, them more you get really hitting hard the more jump on board with it, and it cascades from there.

you get an attitude that you can tackle anyone and tackle them hard they you will get it right more times than not.

This 100%.

In case that embedded start time doesn't work - at 1min 5sec Charlie Cameron takes Gawn to turf against the Dees in 2018.

Last edited:
I think in regards to the tackling and attitude, I think of McDonald-Tipungwuti. His chase down tackles are pure 100% attitude (and sure maybe a little natural talent in the speed department) . I know they are situational specific and can't happen all the time but I want to see us do more of them! Last memorable one was McCarthy vs the Eagles. But now i'm just asking for more sprinkles on top as our tackling is pretty good anyway :D

And that is the beauty of Mitch. He makes everyone walk taller! The Melbourne supporter behind me last night called Mitch a lunatic after one of his missile tackle attempts. I just smiled and thought if your thinking that half your team will be thinking that as well!

Just wanted to say from the 4 games I’ve watched of you guys this season (Vs Eagles, Power, St Kilda and Us) that when you turn it on you play the most attractive and electric football in the comp. The Lions are gonna be scary in a couple of years. Obviously disappointed by the result but it’s heartening to see you guys get out of the bottom and being successful

The Mongrel Punt have given Cam a fair spray in their critique and they generally err on the generous side in their comments.

I think he just needs to relax ,he's sometimes trying too hard to be the game breaker . That right foot snap from 25m out where he just tried to kick it out of the ground gave me nightmares about The North game last year.

I really think he's getting there ,showed a bit more tank yesterday and he's looking fitter.

Of course if it was anyone else making the blues you'd wonder how they'd get on , but he is our No.1 pick , he's on all the promotional material ,gotta stick fat now and trust he'll eliminate the clangers and have a real influence

With a bit more good fortune, that could have been a coming of age game for Rayner.

The effort was fantastic. Keep getting around him. The payoff is going to be great.

I haven't watched the replay yet, but at the ground he looked like a different player. His physicality was fantastic and did so many great things. The only negatives were his bad kicks in defence but Hodge game him a pat on the bum and sent him forward which means lesson learned. His pressure and don't argues were huge and honestly had a great game outside of a few small things. 3 shots at goal, 16 touches and 13 pressure acts is a very good effort. Had he converted it would have been a very good game. He is close.

With a bit more good fortune, that could have been a coming of age game for Rayner.

The effort was fantastic. Keep getting around him. The payoff is going to be great.
Agree Brown Dog . Yesterday was the first time I thought well he could've really ripped it apart with a bit more composure and execution. Personally I believe a spell in the twos would've helped him and he's cost us on occasions but now that people outside the club are having a crack I think it's time to stick it up them and hang in there with him.

He's a powerful unit when he's in full flight.

Might just be that big boofy May had him covered and even though he could break away he knew that even small contact from May could send him flying (had to be at least a 15+kg difference there). And having May on on charlie meant hippy got free. Whatever the reason I really liked his game tonight.

26 to be precise!

May was their best player in the first half easily . It was a gutsy call to put him on Charlie and a bit of a genius call as it turned out.

But obviously that took some pressure off a couple of other guys.

I don't think his assignment was Charlie specifically, just whoever was the deepest forward. He spent time on McStay as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay last night and Cam was OK yesterday. Nothing amazing but OK. Burst from a few packs, hit a few contests hard, showed his run and flare a couple of times. The 2 clangers were bad (especially being so close together). The snap on goal was fine, he had every right to take that shot, he.. just like the rest of the team.. missed.. but everyone on the ground was missing at that stage. Suggestions the snap was selfish are silly, he was 20 meters. In the 4th 1/4 he also linked up on a few lays 2 of of which ended up in goals. Continues to build, just needs to believe he belongs out there. A big tough, career shaping, pre-season is in order too.

If the same blokes want to canabalise a 2nd year player on our team everyweek, in the way they did today (with that venomus, ugly tone to it), they will draw critisism from me. You can say what you like about the opposition, but ill be defending our young players. Its simple from my end.

Well said. It baffles me that some supporters can have that level of hatred in them for one of our players.

I watched the lions game again... Along with the above comments about Rayner, I also thought Lester's game was great, I think he's benefited from the team playing well, doesn't have to play on the guns any more

Lester is just a solid, honest backman these days. No superstar, but just honest. Rarely beaten 1 on 1 and often nullifies outnumbers. He offers a cool head too. His leg speed and decisions making in pressure situations (hack kicks, panic soccer kicks off the ground top opposition etc) still hurts at times. He is the sort of player now where I am not angry if he is in the team, nor am I angry if he is dropped. He is just... Ryan Lester, an average footballer and great clubman.

Watched the replay last night and Cam was OK yesterday. Nothing amazing but OK. Burst from a few packs, hit a few contests hard, showed his run and flare a couple of times. The 2 clangers were bad (especially being so close together). The snap on goal was fine, he had every right to take that shot, he.. just like the rest of the team.. missed.. but everyone on the ground was missing at that stage. Suggestions the snap was selfish are silly, he was 20 meters. In the 4th 1/4 he also linked up on a few lays 2 of of which ended up in goals. Continues to build, just needs to believe he belongs out there. A big tough, career shaping, pre-season is in order too.

The surprise for me was watching his burst out of the middle - he hadn't really shown that at AFL level and it was impressive to watch him put on the jets and clear congestion just like that.

(I acknowledge he still had fumbles, still had silly low percentage kicks.)

And yet we’re the third highest scoring team. Which would indicate it’s not as simple as that.

Also, who’s the dominant key forward we have playing 2s?

Often McStay plays a role and does it well - such as taking the Eagles interceptors out of the game in round 1. You would assume that if he is not being omitted then he is performing his role to the coaches satisfaction.

I haven't watched the replay yet, but at the ground he looked like a different player. His physicality was fantastic and did so many great things. The only negatives were his bad kicks in defence but Hodge game him a pat on the bum and sent him forward which means lesson learned. His pressure and don't argues were huge and honestly had a great game outside of a few small things. 3 shots at goal, 16 touches and 13 pressure acts is a very good effort. Had he converted it would have been a very good game. He is close.
This is exactly what I thought at the ground too. Was surprised he was copping it on here. There were a few plays where he really broke through the middle and showed glimpses of what he could be. He obviously wasn't perfect, but I thought it was a huge step up on what he has been showing, and shows good signs of things to come. More steady improvement like we have been seeing over the last few weeks and come finals he will be performing serviceably.

Back