Discussion The Captaincy

Saintsman33

Senior List
Mar 8, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our main issue is that Geary is clearly the best candidate, however, if he wasn't captain he probably wouldn't get a game.

Can't believe that I've just read suggestions that
- Wilkie
- Marshall
- Membrey
- Carlisle
- Hannebery

Should all be skipper. Two love the white powder, one has played 10 games, one has played 20ish games and the other option is an undersized key forward who can go missing.

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
clearly the obvious choice is Wilkie with Parker as his VC

In all seriousness I think Wilkie could be a real leader of the club one day..

As far as next year, if Hanners has a big 12 weeks he could be an option. Steele needs to go to another level before he becomes captain, needs to be better on the spread. His best position is tagging currently. Bruce is another option though he'd want to kick some more goals.. apparently Members has been improving with his leadership too.

I'd like our captain to come from one of Carlisle, Hanners, Bruce, Membrey. Ross is a good leader, level headed and well spoken, but he's not a captain, he's too relaxed

Steele averaged 28 touches a game in the last 8 weeks of 2018, included so big impacts where he was close to the best midfielder on the ground. He’s been consistently solid this year, but he still has another level to go to.. outside ball users will make Steele look a whole lot better, too many similar types in our rotation at the moment.

Makes him a good footy player. Therefore he should be a good captain?

I'm not sure , but i suspect that Steele doesn't have the best footy smarts on the ground, and that could be why gets the tagging role. It lets him know where to run to.
Ross does have footy smarts, and coming through, but miles too early for them , are Wilike, Marshall, Gresham.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Billings through his training standards is a good 2IC but he just doesn’t have the personality to represent the club off field as the captain. I think he’s ruthless on himself but from the outside I doubt he is toward his team mates.

Steele hasn’t taken the next step to be an automatic selection. A bad month of footy & suddenly he’s on the fringes of best 22. Same with Dunstan.

Unfortunately, Ross by default but only because there is nobody else.

In 3 years, Max King.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Dunstan should be our captain going by performances today, he was great in the first half but then he dropped off, if he had Lenny's tank he would be a star.

He has a fair weight to carry with the no.7 on his back, Lenny and Nicky, he isn't in their class but he doesn't let the jumper down, he's a warrior like them.

I really hate bringing in a player from another club and making them Captain after a short time but , if not Geary, Hannebery is the best choice.

Billings : Is maturing as a person and a player, possibly in the future.
Gresham : Not sure .
Webster : Not sure.
Marshall/Wilkie Maybe in the future.

Its hard with such an inexperienced side.
Its also hard to know what some of them are like in clubland, without being there to see/know them.

How many people have advocated Steven as captain in the past, where its now clear that he was not suitable? The footy talent is only a small part of it.

I really hate bringing in a player from another club and making them Captain after a short time but , if not Geary, Hannebery is the best choice.

Its also hard to know what some of them are like in clubland, without being there to see/know them.

How many people have advocated Steven as captain in the past, where its now clear that he was not suitable? The footy talent is only a small part of it.

dont like it either - it highlights our recent incompetency to develop players - including into leadership roles. evident in the middle of games where we're looking for someone to take the game on. Which is why I'd prefer a co-captaincy arrangement at for a year or two.

hannerbery + steele/billings. One of them.

dont like it either - it highlights our recent incompetency to develop players - including into leadership roles. evident in the middle of games where we're looking for someone to take the game on. Which is why I'd prefer a co-captaincy arrangement at for a year or two.

Billings kind of strikes me as a bit of a quiet guy, which isn't to say he won't become more confident as he gets older.
Seb or Newnes probably have leadership qualities, but they need to get their on-field stuff sorted first.

Why has Steele got the tagging role rather than ball winner? If its to do with footy smarts, he's not going to be ideal as a Captain.

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Why don’t you like it?

If we had a great culture of high standards then yeah, captain from with the group. By the reports from the preseason our intensity was up on previous years and Hannas and the new coaches were a lot to do with it.

IMO, if you’ve got a good culture then status quo, if not change the top and the results will flow down.

New coaches, new leadership group and new captain.

I would have,

Hannas C
Billing VC
Membrey VC
Robo (if he is available, if not maybe Wilkie?)
Ross

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Billings kind of strikes me as a bit of a quiet guy, which isn't to say he won't become more confident as he gets older.
Seb or Newnes probably have leadership qualities, but they need to get their on-field stuff sorted first.

Why has Steele got the tagging role rather than ball winner? If its to do with footy smarts, he's not going to be ideal as a Captain.
I agree about Billings. Also without wishing to be too unkind to him, he's as dumb as doggy-do-do and send to be treated like a simple farm lad by other players judging from the podcast. I don't see a player who commands the respect of a room full of men - I don't see a leader there. We need our leaders to be sharper.

Hannebury with Carlisle or Membrey as VC. I originally put Sinclair but he's not consistent and needs to step up more when the chips are down. Hard to find anyone really suitable mostly Could Be's with caveats.

Start grooming the following:
King
Coffield
Wilkie
Long

I agree about Billings. Also without wishing to be too unkind to him, he's as dumb as doggy-do-do and send to be treated like a simple farm lad by other players judging from the podcast. I don't see a player who commands the respect of a room full of men - I don't see a leader there. We need our leaders to be sharper.

Hannebury with Carlisle or Membrey as VC. I originally put Sinclair but he's not consistent and needs to step up more when the chips are down. Hard to find anyone really suitable mostly Could Be's with caveats.

King
Coffield
Wilkie
Long

I‘d hate to know what you would say when you are being unkind.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

King
Coffield
Wilkie
Long
I don't think he is dumb in a Jack Higgins way that you're describing. He is a well educated guy but is just an easy target because he is so shy and reserved.
He is more a lead by example guy than someone to stand in front of the group and deliver harsh words.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA

King
Coffield
Wilkie
Long
Have you watched Jack Billings play football?
He's obviously not dumb.
He's a very smart footballer.
If the other players don't respect him, maybe they should have a good hard look in the mirror, because he's a level above most of them.
I'd make billings captain and anyone who didn't like it can play at sandy.

Long captain? Lol too much wildfire.

Why don’t you like it?

If we had a great culture of high standards then yeah, captain from with the group. By the reports from the preseason our intensity was up on previous years and Hannas and the new coaches were a lot to do with it.

IMO, if you’ve got a good culture then status quo, if not change the top and the results will flow down.

New coaches, new leadership group and new captain.

I would have,

Hannas C
Billing VC
Membrey VC
Robo (if he is available, if not maybe Wilkie?)
Ross

I know what you mean. I don’t like it only because it glaringly highlights our lack of development of leaders. But I do think Hannebery is the obvious/right choice - if it’s not Geary again.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

King
Coffield
Wilkie
Long
Calling him dumb as dog s**t on a forum.

Classy. How many AFL games did you play?

WTF is wrong with people.

Back