Toast Toast Rowan Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know many of us have said for a while how great Rowan has been this year. I just thought he deserved his own toast thread. In a team who has struggled for at least half the season Roma has been a shining light in most of games especially when the rest of the team has struggled.

Firstly a bit of credit to the recruiting team who have been maligned by many for going for clean skins. However what the recruiting team has shown is that picking guys who have been made to work and have the character to work through road blocks and setbacks is more important and a stronger shower of success ie , Wilkie , Parker, Sinclair, Hind, Paton.

Most importantly I think with Roma any role he has been asked to play he has shown an ability to work and develop himself to a point where he is competitive. The sky is really the limit for him. Another big pre season and he is very much a possibility to in contention for All Australian. For some perspective he is currently 3rd for average possessions, 3rd for average contested possessions, 7th for marks and 10th for hitouts.

I know many of us have said for a while how great Rowan has been this year. I just thought he deserved his own toast thread. In a team who has struggled for at least half the season Roma has been a shining light in most of games especially when the rest of the team has struggled.

Firstly a bit of credit to the recruiting team who have been maligned by many for going for clean skins. However what the recruiting team has shown is that picking guys who have been made to work and have the character to work through road blocks and setbacks is more important and a stronger shower of success ie , Wilkie , Parker, Sinclair, Hind, Paton.

Most importantly I think with Roma any role he has been asked to play he has shown an ability to work and develop himself to a point where he is competitive. The sky is really the limit for him. Another big pre season and he is very much a possibility to in contention for All Australian. For some perspective he is currently 3rd for average possessions, 3rd for average contested possessions, 7th for marks and 10th for hitouts.
His season is especially remarkable given how little time he had to learn and adapt to being first ruck with the more likely candidates Longer and Pierce both being ruled out very suddenly. He could've been forgiven for simply just having a go at the caper however he has excelled beyond all expectations. And certainly beyond what we could've realistically expected from either Longer or Pierce

Plus he's just so damn likeable :)

282dlf.jpg

His season is especially remarkable given how little time he had to learn and adapt to being first ruck with the more likely candidates Longer and Pierce both being ruled out very suddenly. He could've been forgiven for simply just having a go at the caper however he has excelled beyond all expectations. And certainly beyond what we could've realistically expected from either Longer or Pierce

Plus he's just so damn likeable :)

282dlf.jpg

I like the guys who come up from minor leagues via the Rookie list.
They seem a bit more humble, they've had to work hard to get there, they seem to appreciate and enjoy the fact that they are out there playing, and they don't have this god given right to play that some players seem to think they have. Their ability is bigger than their ego.

Like the Anti-Watts.

I like the guys who come up from minor leagues via the Rookie list.
They seem a bit more humble, they've had to work hard to get there, they seem to appreciate and enjoy the fact that they are out there playing, and they don't have this god given right to play that some players seem to think they have. Their ability is bigger than their ego.

There was a big article 3-4 weeks ago on Roma's journey to get where he is now.

It was a great article and a truly magnificent journey that he's taken.

The adversity that he went thru along the way with also incredible support from his parents is a very sobering thought.

I'm hoping that he keeps doing what he's been doing and wins the B n F.....I'd be over the moon.

So would he !!!!!

When I first started taking notice of him early last season....I thought this guy may be very good.

Not in my wildest dreams did I think he'd be as good as what has been up till now.

And how was his long goal yesterday?
He looked confident and he did it.

It was a cracker wasn't it Diehard........was confident he'd nail it.

He did a very similar mark/goal against the Pies in the 2nd qtr of that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head and shoulders above anyone else on the list and I don't say that lightly.

Performances week after week no matter how bad the team is going don't waiver unlike some other.

If he didn't play another game for the season, he should still win it imo.
It's really crept up on me that he could actually win the best and fairest this year. Unbelievable really.

Would be the first St.Kilda ruckman to win since Spida Everitt in the early 00's.

My top 10 at the moment would be:

1. Marshall

2. Billings
3. Membrey
4. Wilkie
5. Gresham
6. Ross
7. Dunstan
8. Steele
9. Battle
10. Bruce

Not that I would agree with some of the names, just based on games played and influence etc.

Special mention Hind for 6 goals in 3 games! Pretty influential I’d say.

Special mention Hind for 6 goals in 3 games! Pretty influential I’d say.
BNF are done on a number of games played. Hence players like Ross, Steele and Bruce are featuring higher than what I think they should. Our best mid over the last 6 games has been Dunstan imo.

BNF are done on a number of games played. Hence players like Ross, Steele and Bruce are featuring higher than what I think they should. Our best mid over the last 6 games has been Dunstan imo.

Yes I know he’s not a chance, just mentioned him as a nice little cameo player in his first three. Most promising first year player should be a good battle between Wilkie, Parker and him though if he plays the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back