Universal Love How did you decide to Become a Collingwood Supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

I asked my mum when I was a little kid. When did I become a Collingwood supporter?

Told simply, when you were in my tummy.

And that was that.

My dad follows Sydney, my mum follows Collingwood, brother Melbourne and my sister use to follow the bulldogs until midway through the 2002 season and then wanted to come to pies games with me. Her first game was the Collingwood v Brisbane game in round 8 and she never looked back. I barracked for Collingwood because of my mum and nan!!

My Dad was a Collingwood Supporter so I pretty much Followed Him.

Though my Late-GrandFather was a Hawks Supporter and he tried his Best to make me one
Can you imagine being in those horrible poo and wee colours? Yuk.

Your dad was right.

No one in either side of the family was a collingwood supporter, gran turned up one day with a collingwood jumper and that was it, never changed allegiance.
So so far been one hell of a ride.

Wog parents with no Collingwood bloodlines..........my older brother became a Pies supporter and the rest is history.

I originally chose to barrack for Hawthorn (aged 7??) - family had no background in footy until then. Kid over the road said he'd belt me up if I didn't barrack for Collingwood - I immediately swapped - cost me 10? flags :( :( :(

I do love them but they drive me freaking mad sometimes

PS kid over the road went on to become a lawyer..............

I originally chose to barrack for Hawthorn (aged 7??) - family had no background in footy until then. Kid over the road said he'd belt me up if I didn't barrack for Collingwood - I immediately swapped - cost me 10? flags :( :( :(

I do love them but they drive me freaking mad sometimes

PS kid over the road went on to become a lawyer..............

Just a bit of gentle persuasion... He did the right thing by you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bunch of bandwagon supporters though, no real culture or history in that club. The elation of 1 Collingwood flag with your brethren is worth 10 celebrated with good times only supporters.
wise words but bu**er me we have missed some close ones we should have snagged - want to meet a Club that invents new ways to lose GFs? - let me introduce you to .................................................. THE ONE AND ONLY PIES ...

wise words but bu**er me we have missed some close ones we should have snagged - want to meet a Club that invents new ways to lose GFs? - let me introduce you to .................................................. THE ONE AND ONLY PIES ...

Yeah but everything Collingwood does is legendary, and the fans stick fat through thick and thin, every other club pencils in the day they play Collingwood, every game is special. Hawthorn are better off playing in Tasmania, look at last week the rain kept them all away. Nothing beats the heart pumping, electric atmosphere of a Pies game and everybody knows it. You made the right choice, Collingwood is the centre of the AFL universe.

Wog parents with no Collingwood bloodlines..........my older brother became a Pies supporter and the rest is history.
Question.

I find many Greeks seem to follow Collingwood particularly.
Stands to reason great food, great football team.

Do you think this is correct?

I’ve wondered if this is particularly so of Greek people and why might that be.

St Kilda just lose Grand Finals.

Funnily for many decades Melbourne won a very high proportion of their grand finals.

Question.

I find many Greeks seem to follow Collingwood particularly.
Stands to reason great food, great football team.

Do you think this is correct?

I’ve wondered if this is particularly so of Greek people and why might that be.

Collingwood or Carlton Saintly.

Growing up in the Northern Suburbs closer to Collingwood sways more of them towards Collingwood...........plus the working class Club is something immigrants can understand.

Collingwood or Carlton Saintly.

Growing up in the Northern Suburbs closer to Collingwood sways more of them towards Collingwood...........plus the working class Club is something immigrants can understand.
So you and Gimpy re fell to the good side.

:)

Nothing funny about Melbourne winning flags! :(
Terrible use of language by me.

I deserve a thorough wigging.

It wasn't a conscious decision. My dad was a Collingwood supporter. He was born and raised in Collingwood and saw the 4 in a row.
He didn't force any of us to support Collingwood, we all just did naturally.
Footscray was the closest ground to us and he would have taken us there if we wanted to.
But there was never any question of who we would follow, and we all ended up passionate supporters, though I'm the only one who still goes.
My first game was early 72 or 73, can't remember which, but we pumped South Melbourne at Victoria Park and McKenna kicked about 8. That was it, I was hooked.
This should be the game: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1973/041619730407.html

It was Rd. 1 1973 - McKenna did boot 8. He kicked 11 in his previous game against South Melbourne at Victoria Park (Rd. 21 1972).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back