Petition to the club to appoint Shawry as our next coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I've liked the simplistic approach.

Why don't we adopt one here.

Say to him and the playing group right now, 10 wins by round 21 and it's his job.

If the players want him they'll get him.

It also put us in a real position for finals.

It's a bold move but honestly why not throw down the challenge.

Robbo on 360 reckons Longmire has the job if he wants it.

I'll be furious if that's the case.

Maybe we can get the guy who got busted by the North players and staff when posting up "Sack Scott" posters at the club to reappear and post up 'Sign Shaw' or 'Its a Shaw thing' posters around.

I'm sure he won't have footballs kicked at him this time.

Longmire Is the better coach within his player development and drafting skills. If Longmire comes and Shaw stick around and give him the match day operation where Longmire deals with the grand strategy, drafting and player development.

I dunno if Longmire will come.

The more I think about it the less I have a problem with him coaching. He'd be very motivated to win a flag at the same club as a player and coach. I think Rawlings is a good head to have around too.

My main issue is that right now we are playing great footy. Its s**t hot.

The media are calling us the hardest team in the league. But they players are backing themselves and playing as a unit as well. They run in numbers, back each other up and play daring, skillful footy. Heaps more short kicks from the contest to a one on one but to our players advantage. Its breaks the game open quickly. When we handball we attack dynamically with it.

And we hit hard and monster the opposition. We want the ball, we want to win the contest and we want to dominate and intimidate the opposition.

This is footy as it should be played.

If Shaw can keep this going then what more would we ask for?

If it ain't broke...

(And it was broke but we may have fixed it.)

As much as I'm for Shawry being coach, theres a whole rest of season yet to play out.

I'm open to whatever change comes because so far its been a refreshing ride, we're just reaping the benefits.

A petition is not something I need or want, I have faith that North will make the right call in the end. Appointing Shaw as caretaker, parting ways with Scott and getting Rawlings has been ticking all the boxes so far.

I dunno if Longmire will come.

The more I think about it the less I have a problem with him coaching. He'd be very motivated to win a flag at the same club as a player and coach. I think Rawlings is a good head to have around too.

My main issue is that right now we are playing great footy. Its **** hot.

The media are calling us the hardest team in the league. But they players are backing themselves and playing as a unit as well. They run in numbers, back each other up and play daring, skillful footy. Heaps more short kicks from the contest to a one on one but to our players advantage. Its breaks the game open quickly. When we handball we attack dynamically with it.

And we hit hard and monster the opposition. We want the ball, we want to win the contest and we want to dominate and intimidate the opposition.

This is footy as it should be played.

If Shaw can keep this going then what more would we ask for?

If it ain't broke...

(And it was broke but we may have fixed it.)

It probably is too early to be appointing Shawry as our coach, however I don't think we can afford to wait too long.

In my opinion what we saw on Saturday night was a brand of football we haven't seen anywhere else in a long time. It was a ruthless take no prisoners style, that not just us as supporters of the club saw and are talking about, but so too are the media. When you have blokes like Jonathon Brown, almost in awe (one comment he made was "I wouldn't like to run into these blokes in a dark alley late at night") at what he was seeing, then we have something quite different to the rest of the competition.

Selecting a coach of a club is a mugs game because who knows how anyone will turn out. What the club needs to bear in mind though, is that Shawry is not just auditioning for our job, he is also auditioning for the Carlton job, almost certainly the Saints job and there is a fair chance the *essendon job too.

All of those clubs will be taking very close notice and I would hate to see us miss him to one of them, when he may just be the best available right now.

Horse was very evasive tonight on AFL360. Robbo asked him some pretty probing questions and concluded he will stay at Sydney. Horse is in a wonderful position really. No doubt we have made him a wonderful offer. Sydney want to keep him and he remains in contract. He can't lose whichever way it goes and Pickers is relishing the situation as his man pumps his price up higher and higher.

Oh the honeymoon period so happy everyone’s in love butterflies and doves flit about the first buds of spring appear.
I prefer to wait until September went the power bill needs to be paid and someone needs to get of their arse and vacuum the house. We’ll all know then if it’s true love and Shawey is the one and only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion what we saw on Saturday night was a brand of football we haven't seen anywhere else in a long time. It was a ruthless take no prisoners style, that not just us as supporters of the club saw and are talking about, but so too are the media. When you have blokes like Jonathon Brown, almost in awe (one comment he made was "I wouldn't like to run into these blokes in a dark alley late at night") at what he was seeing, then we have something quite different to the rest of the competition.

It certainly seems like the first time we've played like that for a long time. The pressure game is not a new thing, teams have won flags off it recently but its not just the swarming manic attack. Its structured and intelligent as well. You can see Shaw adapting Scott's overall set up and just removing its most glaring weaknesses. (Biggest one of which was Scotts himself. - says half the board.) Then adding his own preferences.

I can understand why people would be feeling optimistic and if you could predict if Shaw would be able to get us to play this way consistently then the decision would be an easy one to make. However, it is not as simple as that, a lot of our problems came from the players. We played some fantastic footy last year under Brad and the players knew what they needed to produce when they came into games and were not prepared to come out with the desired mindset.

We need to evaluate why we produce train wreck starts to seasons, we have shot ourselves in the foot in most seasons before it even began. Will Shaw's message to players continue to be as effective over a longer period of time? I don't envy the club, they have a hard decision to make.

Personally, I would have jumped the gun for Clarkson in the face of overwhelming evidence from Shaw, I don't have the same confidence in Longmire though. Who knows, perhaps he will be as good or maybe better than Shaw. However, it worried me in the past when the board chased Buckley and later abandoned the process to appoint Brad, it is hard to evaluate what assistants are capable of producing, but you would hope we are better than being conned by salesmen.

We are chasing Longmire but has anyone asked why he produced so few flags with the talent he had at his disposal? I don't want to just be a side that hangs around, you want to be one that when the opportunity arises, you make the most of it.

Olys at the wheel syndrome

Lets not make a decision until September

Just need to get a full three months worth of data and then ask the question
I'd be happy to call it mid August if we:
- Maintain the physicality as a baseline
- Continue to improve in the skills/unpredictable nature of ball movement
- Win at least 1(I mean I'd prefer 2 and all would be insane) of Lions/Eagles/Cats and take it right up in whatever we don't win.

We have time, if it's apparent after some tough road games, give it to him.

And if by some miracle finals happen, do it strategically, we've seen what emotion does with this group.

This guy clearly has done a very good job in such a short amount of time.

I just read about some godfather offer for John longmire....

Is north Melbourne nuts???!!! Longmire is the most overrated coach in the AFL.

Cola has basically been fully stripped for the first time and they have now slid down the ladder. If it wasn’t for cola longmire wouldn’t have a half decent record up there.

You would be nuts to take him over Rhys Shaw.

If you don’t take Shaw someone else will at years end

It would be good to appoint him after we win the essendon game. That will give us the emotional lift we need to beat geelong, west coast and onwards to the grand final.

Firstly iam not entirely convinced to sign him up straight away however it does show we were asleep at the wheel not having some kind of transitional program or contingency in place for the post brad world. Ironicly it looks a lot like brads no plan b style.
Also when you compare that opening game against freo to the last few weeks the team looks though they actually know the game plan now.

Few more weeks will tell a lot. The media talking positively about us has generally induced a form slump. Lets not hope the group dont go getting ahead of themselves.

Last edited:
Few more weeks will tell a lot. The media talking positively about us has generally induced a form slump. Lets not hope the group dont go getting ahead of themselves.
It actually shapes this week as an interesting game.

Form says we should win this.

Current style says we should win

'Home' ground advantage says we should win

Will we be as up for it as we have been?

It certainly seems like the first time we've played like that for a long time. The pressure game is not a new thing, teams have won flags off it recently but its not just the swarming manic attack. Its structured and intelligent as well. You can see Shaw adapting Scott's overall set up and just removing its most glaring weaknesses. (Biggest one of which was Scotts himself. - says half the board.) Then adding his own preferences.
The swarming pressure isn't new but I personally think our physicality at the moment is well above what say Richmond were delivering in 2017-18. They swarmed but there was nowhere near the brutality to it. Long way to go though.

Oh they are all over us at the moment. Once against Richmond was an outlier. Four weeks of it (if anything we've been harder week by week to beat) and running GWS to the line (who then struggled massively the week after) and demolishing Collingwood is getting noticed. What's interesting is that while noting the bye, we don't appear to be struggling to back up week by week at the moment - ie. it appears this style is hurting them more than us, for now.

There's no immediate rush to sign Shaw IMO, but I'd be pretty pissed off if the club had already decided to go with say Longmire without letting most of the season play out. End of the day, Shaw has them play out the majority of the year in this fashion I think we'd be idiots to let him go for just about anyone that looks gettable.

Last edited:
The swarming pressure isn't new but I personally think our physicality at the moment is well above what say Richmond were delivering in 2017-18. They swarmed but there was nowhere near the brutality to it. Long way to go though.

My concern with brutality is the fine line between ‘ouch’ and “Hi, I am Mr Christensen”

My concern with brutality is the fine line between ‘ouch’ and “Hi, I am Mr Christensen”

Sure, there's a fine line but the reality is that we've seen a guy like Durdin go for what was effectively a nothing incident - the modern game is that players will get suspended at times for playing what most of us consider football. We just have to have the depth to cover the odd suspension and we have to trust the team to do their best to keep it within the rules as much as physically possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back