Cars & Transportation Car Torque

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
When I first drove my car I asked whether it came with a CD stacker.

He said he would have to get back to me on that one. This was a 2013 model.

I prefer CDs or my direct aux USB input anyway because I like to save my phone battery for other things.
my car has a USB charger for my phone. Bluetooth music AND charging!

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I dont own these cars but Im the one who gets to enjoy them the most. Last week I picked up a 2018 BMW X5. We trialled Tesla Model X and the Audi Q8 but found this to be the more convenient car for the bosses wife. I preffered the Tesla but it's too much of a fishbowl at the front for her.

But today, today I picked up a 2018 AMG Mercedes S400d L. This is a really, really sweet car. Going to take me a week to understand and use all the features in this car. Took it onto the Autoroute today and was at 170 kmh before I noticed and then backed right off (was a 110 zone, but quiet). This replaces a 2006 S500 L, which now just sits outside like a child that isnt wanted anymore.

I wish I could afford the AMG, it's an incredible drive, but at 100,000 euros($150,000 AUD)... Well, it's just not for normal people.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I dont own these cars but Im the one who gets to enjoy them the most. Last week I picked up a 2018 BMW X5. We trialled Tesla Model X and the Audi Q8 but found this to be the more convenient car for the bosses wife. I preffered the Tesla but it's too much of a fishbowl at the front for her.

But today, today I picked up a 2018 AMG Mercedes S400d L. This is a really, really sweet car. Going to take me a week to understand and use all the features in this car. Took it onto the Autoroute today and was at 170 kmh before I noticed and then backed right off (was a 110 zone, but quiet). This replaces a 2006 S500 L, which now just sits outside like a child that isnt wanted anymore.

I wish I could afford the AMG, it's an incredible drive, but at 100,000 euros($150,000 AUD)... Well, it's just not for normal people.
x5_6988331206x5.jpg

Do you work for Don Vito Corleone ?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Haha no. In Summer these type of cars are pedestrian around here. It's the Arabs and Russians who fly in million dollar cars and park them on the Croisette just to be seen. 100k Mercs dont turn heads here.

A fully loaded S Class is a thing of absolute beauty. Almost the flagship of vehicles worldwide. It’s amazing how almost any and every safety / performance / feature etc piece of technology on any car, you trace it back and invariably it first appeared commercially in the S Class.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
A fully loaded S Class is a thing of absolute beauty. Almost the flagship of vehicles worldwide. It’s amazing how almost any and every safety / performance / feature etc piece of technology on any car, you trace it back and invariably it first appeared commercially in the S Class.
Agree, it is beautiful. It makes the 13 year old S500 feel like a boat in comparison, and until yesterday I thought the old one was nice to drive.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
A local used car dealer has a VY Calais for sale for less than 5 grand. I'm highly tempted. Like the body but mostly the inside of the VY-Z, the last model before things started getting too digital for my liking.

Speaking of, what are people's favourite interiors or dash? I reckon it is an underrated part of the car. You'll spend more time looking at those than the outside. Personally, I like tacky overloads of information, all sorts of buttons and dials and levers, combined with symmetry. It is hard to go past this as far as Holden's go.

31682566_10156201762915429_6711157524105527296_o.jpg

The VK was similarly laid out, but more 80s.

1985-holden-vk-hdt-commodore-ss-sedan.jpg

Last edited:
Love me some wrap-around consoles/dashboards or whatever you call them. I don't mean the weak-ass, point the stereo to the driver like in the E39 or the BNR34, I mean the full-on cocoon effect you got from the FD or the A80. Feels very fast and very eurobeat

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Had a few more days driving in it. The Cruise control drives itself, I just have to steer. It keeps a 10 metres distance from the car in front but if I change lanes it cruises up to the speed I set. It's smooth but not as smooth as if I was doing the adjustments. What I am loving is the different massage options. Im gonna wear that seat out damn quick. Hot shoulder massage, Hot back massage,, Love it. Still cant work out how to get the screens working in the back seat but my phone doesnt connect to cables anymore. I havent had much time to actually work out the car. The Navi system is a bit cumbersome and not as easy as the BMW but it's one hell of a nice drive.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
A local used car dealer has a VY Calais for sale for less than 5 grand. I'm highly tempted. Like the body but mostly the inside of the VY-Z, the last model before things started getting too digital for my liking.

Speaking of, what are people's favourite interiors or dash? I reckon it is an underrated part of the car. You'll spend more time looking at those than the outside. Personally, I like tacky overloads of information, all sorts of buttons and dials and levers, combined with symmetry. It is hard to go past this as far as Holden's go.

31682566_10156201762915429_6711157524105527296_o.jpg

The VK was similarly laid out, but more 80s.

1985-holden-vk-hdt-commodore-ss-sedan.jpg
vkint5-jpg.188929

Or how about the digital version? Fascinating stuff.

I do like the linear(?) dashes of the old Holdens.
c82c0ca0c7c2f99d36fd9e691f48ff66.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
vkint5-jpg.188929

Or how about the digital version? Fascinating stuff.

I do like the linear(?) dashes of the old Holdens.
c82c0ca0c7c2f99d36fd9e691f48ff66.jpg

Yeah, love that Monaro one too. Symmetry. Also I prefer square or rectangular gauges to round ones.

Those electronic ones have a certain 'so bad it's good' charm but I couldn't bring myself to admit I prefer it to good old analogue technology. I did look at buying a Nissan 300zx once and it was pretty cool.

maxresdefault.jpg

Being it was a turbo and I was on Ps, I couldn't.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah, love that Monaro one too. Symmetry. Also I prefer square or rectangular gauges to round ones.

Those electronic ones have a certain 'so bad it's good' charm but I couldn't bring myself to admit I prefer it to good old analogue technology. I did look at buying a Nissan 300zx once and it was pretty cool.

maxresdefault.jpg

Being it was a turbo and I was on Ps, I couldn't.
A mate of mine has a worked 300ZX. Hands down the fastest thing I have driven. Was insane and they're not even expensive.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
All modern dashboards look the same. A tachometer and speedo separated by an LCD display.

Bit boring to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back