Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

keep making good choices.
eat well, prioritize sleep.
dial down the intensity in the gym or maybe take a complete break.
adjust your expectations so they're more in line with your current status.
reasses in a few weeks.

I'd agree with all that except taking the break from the gym. Imo it's better to build the habit of becoming someone that doesn't miss a workout, not every workout is going to be your best ever or have you being totally in the zone but by sticking at it you're giving yourself more opportunities to improve and have a good workout and you'll benefit more over time

Dropped about 4-5kgs (I'm slightly overweight) by making better choices, gymming and playing footy. Then got gastro, extremely sick, the flu and dropped even more weight. First night back at the gym in 3 weeks was tonight. I haven't been sick for a bit now but extremely lacking in energy and motivation. I look pale and withdrawn in the face. Work has been smashing me lately too and am legitimately cooked from it.

My workout was pathetic. Footy training tomorrow night to hopefully get back into the swing of things after skipping that for 3 weeks too.

Someone suggest something.
Eat, drink, then eat more.

Ease back in too - habit is more important than nailing every single workout.

Dropped about 4-5kgs (I'm slightly overweight) by making better choices, gymming and playing footy. Then got gastro, extremely sick, the flu and dropped even more weight. First night back at the gym in 3 weeks was tonight. I haven't been sick for a bit now but extremely lacking in energy and motivation. I look pale and withdrawn in the face. Work has been smashing me lately too and am legitimately cooked from it.

My workout was pathetic. Footy training tomorrow night to hopefully get back into the swing of things after skipping that for 3 weeks too.

Someone suggest something.
Gotham City.

I'm getting slack in my old age. Haven't been to the gym, or done anything more than walking to the bus stop, for about a month now. If I don't watch it and start being more disciplined (because motivation's not going to last for me), it won't be long before my Winter fat becomes Spring rolls.

I'm getting slack in my old age. Haven't been to the gym, or done anything more than walking to the bus stop, for about a month now. If I don't watch it and start being more disciplined (because motivation's not going to last for me), it won't be long before my Winter fat becomes Spring rolls.
Get to the gym. It's much better once you are there. Just do it

I went yesterday feeling good without my preworkout or intraworkouts and felt like garbage. Felt s**t today but begrudgingly went along whilst having my preworkout or intraworkouts and felt like a champ.

Now i feel good :)

I’ll be honest I don’t feel that Tyson Brown is a very impressive interviewer. However I really enjoyed hearing from Menno Henselmans. I stumbled across this video on reddit and was skeptical of the click baity title but it’s well worth 40 minutes of your time.

Finally made it to the gym yesterday and today. After about a 6 week layoff, and with already pathetically low fitness levels, I'm taking it easy for a few weeks and just sticking to cardio for now. Even with just 15 minutes on the exercise bike, and 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, before I finished my treadmill walk I was getting a headache and having difficulty focussing my vision, so I left it there for the day's workout. Apart from that though, I feel pretty good for finally having got there.

I hate the gym mainly because i dont know what to do and feel stupid going by myself.
I do have a gym membership but dont go because of the reasons above.
I also go to a boxing gym which i love. I love the intensity and everything about boxing to help get me fitt.
Now i am fit again i would like to go back to gym 1-2 days a week to build up some muscle.
Where is the best place to help set a routine? eg youtube channels ect..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate the gym mainly because i dont know what to do and feel stupid going by myself.
I also go to a boxing gym which i love. I love the intensity and everything about boxing to help get me fitt.
Now i am fit again i would like to go back to gym 1-2 days a week to build up some muscle.
Ring up a mate who trains and say the following words "Oi dickhead. Come to the gym tonight and show me the ropes."

If you are going in on your own, here are the exercises you should do each workout:

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-Over Rows
Military Press
Stiff-Legged Deadlift or Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

For the first few weeks do 2 sets x 12 reps for each exercise.

If you can't squat yet, do leg presses. If you can't do any of the exercises do a youtube search 'how to romanian deadlift'.

If you want to know more about the routine, google Allpro Beginner Routine.

Come back in a month to let us know how you're going, and we'll tell you to do more sets and learn to squat.

There is nothing to fear. You are a Richmond supporter, which means you have superior genetics and will be popular with the female trainers.

Ring up a mate who trains and say the following words "Oi dickhead. Come to the gym tonight and show me the ropes."

If you are going in on your own, here are the exercises you should do each workout:

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-Over Rows
Military Press
Stiff-Legged Deadlift or Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

For the first few weeks do 2 sets x 12 reps for each exercise.

If you can't squat yet, do leg presses. If you can't do any of the exercises do a youtube search 'how to romanian deadlift'.

If you want to know more about the routine, google Allpro Beginner Routine.

Come back in a month to let us know how you're going, and we'll tell you to do more sets and learn to squat.

There is nothing to fear. You are a Richmond supporter, which means you have superior genetics and will be popular with the female trainers.

I used to have the same attitude for the same reason and wasted so much money on gyms I never used. Personally what got me started was booking a PT for 4 sessions to start me on a program and basically I got was lucky to get a good one that kept it simple, wasn't into weird stupid looking exercises and explained what to do, why you would do it & the right way to do it & how to set each exercise up. Just having that structure of the fairly simple program and knowing how to do it all made me want to keep going back, pretty quickly you realise that basically noone else at the gym cares what you're doing so feeling stupid or self conscious about what you're doing doesn't really cross your mind, especially when you know specifically what you're there to do.

I also go to a boxing gym a few times a week for fitness and the combo of boxing + gym has been awesome for me, can't recommend it highly enough from my experience

captain cotch 9
Listen to Eastern Tiger’s post/program.
These are the exercises listed. Go through them and if there’s any you’re not confident of performing we can advise alternatives.
Otherwise you can basically start with no weight/an empty barbell and add 5kg per session for lower body exercises and 2.5kg for upper body exercises.

Follow Jason Genova, V-Shred and Jason Blaha on youtube.

That's a good starting point for Richmond fans

I can’t stand Blaha (if it’s the guy I’m thinking of).
Basically down talks everyone else despite not having produced any athlete/lifter of note and having a below average physique/strength himself.

Last edited:
I can’t stand Blaha (if it’s the guy I’m thinking of).
Basically down talks everyone else despite not having produced any athlete/lifter of note and having a below average physique/strength himself.
That is Mr Blaha alright. He lives in fantasy land. Delusional AF

That is Mr Blaha alright. He lives in fantasy land. Delusional AF

I can’t remember which of his videos I ended up on a while back but I genuinely lost brain cells watching it lol.
Athlean-X(?) is another guy I actively avoid as part of managing my blood pressure. Never seen someone make so many claims regarding “dangerous exercises” with so little to support his argument.

I can’t remember which of his videos I ended up on a while back but I genuinely lost brain cells watching it lol.
Athlean-X(?) is another guy I actively avoid as part of managing my blood pressure. Never seen someone make so many claims regarding “dangerous exercises” with so little to support his argument.
I like Jeff, but he has too many necessary exercises. You spend 2 hours doing accessories.

He's good for fixing issues and has the knowledge to back it up.

Let me get the muscle marker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back