Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

So where did we play the cats home game in round 21 2017 muppet and 2012 and 2013 and 2009 and do I need to go on

Just enlighten me when was Collingwood last visit and Essendon and north

Richmonds last five in Geelong were in 2017, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, and it was only the 2017 match where the Tigers supporters came out of the woodwork and kicked up a stink about getting tickets. There was never a storm by Tigers fans about getting tickets until they had a chance of beating Geelong for the first time in a long time in 2017

Collingwood last played in Geelong in 1999, Essendon in 1993 and North in 2018 (scheduled for Round 21 this year as well). Essendon will be back in Geelong next year IMO, and if/when Richmonds fans disappear because of some poor performances they'll be back too. And the way Hawthorn's attendances are going, they might be in Geelong soon too (and Kennett doesn't mind playing in Geelong). It's really only Collingwood that won't ever come to Geelong in the H&A (they've played a few preseason matches in Geelong)

People need to accept that the AFL is entertainment, not sport. The question is never 'how can we make the competition more fair?', it's 'how can we entertain (make money from) the most people?' Hence uneven fixturing, guaranteed blockbusters, MCG grand final etc.

Any Geelong member could have got tickets to the Richmond QF during the member sale period, if they didn't then that was their choice. There would be way fewer available for them at Kardinia than the G.

And Friday night matches don't suit travelling Geelong fans. Another thing that Geelong have brought up. Could easily have played on a Saturday afternoon or night.

So add that to the list.

And in the end, I think a lot of Geelong fans wouldn't be so upset at being unable to get a ticket to the game if it gets the team one step closer to a Grand Final.

Had Geelong had Richmond at GMHBA, they would have won. Then hosted GWS at either GMHBA or the MCG, where their record was atrocious. Instead, Geelongs home final is tailored to Richmond in every possible way.

And the AFL wonder why Geelong supporters have no time for anything they say or any respect for them.

Nope, re-read the quotes again, here, I'll make it easy for you:-

"We’d be happy to play all our games at GMHBA Stadium" Pretty clear....
"We have asked for all our games against less-drawing clubs to be played at Geelong" Yep, aligns with the above.
"we’d be equally happy to play two big-drawing clubs such as Collingwood and Hawthorn at the MCG as home games" Doesn't contradict the above, but if we cannot get all home games at Geelong, well we'd be equally happy for the big draw games at the MCG.

Staggers me how whoever posted that couldn't understand the context. Geelong wants all their home games in Geelong. But knows the AFL won't do that, so next best is 9 games at Geelong and 2 MCG matches against big drawing teams.

And Friday night matches don't suit travelling Geelong fans. Another thing that Geelong have brought up. Could easily have played on a Saturday afternoon or night.

So add that to the list.

And in the end, I think a lot of Geelong fans wouldn't be so upset at being unable to get a ticket to the game if it gets the team one step closer to a Grand Final.

Had Geelong had Richmond at GMHBA, they would have won. Then hosted GWS at either GMHBA or the MCG, where their record was atrocious. Instead, Geelongs home final is tailored to Richmond in every possible way.

And the AFL wonder why Geelong supporters have no time for anything they say or any respect for them.

Now we get down to the real proble will you bring the bell again?

So add that to the list.

8-2 in finals in Richmond favour no wonder you hate the mcg

I’m sure Hocking will find a way to only let 5k oppos in for his precious puty cats.
Yes, I'm well aware of the conspiracy theories Tigers fans have about Steve Hocking.

Whatever helps you adjust to the reality that Geelong are *still* contending while the wheels fall off the Richmond short bus :)

Where would you like us to play home games against Port Adelaide, Brisbane, WCE & GWS? At their grounds?

Our other games in that period are against Carlton(our home game), Collingwood & Melbourne, whose home games are being played at their home ground which we happen to be a co-tenant.
Nope- you shouldn’t play your home games at their home grounds. Glad we can agree. Apparently you have a short memory though. This whole carry on between geelong and tigers emanated from 2017 H&A when Richmond fans kicked up the biggest fuss about having to play geelong’s home game at geelong’s home ground.

Last edited:
Nope- you shouldn’t play your home games at their home grounds. Glad we can agree. Apparently you have a short memory though. This whole carry on between geelong and tigers emanated from 2017 H&A when Richmond fans kicked up the biggest fuss about having to play geelong’s home game at geelong’s home ground. Not sure how you could forget that tiger sook festival.

But Geelong happily offers to play their home games at the other teams home ground. We don't offer to do it, we accept that we're required to do it.

As for playing at Geelong, our club, the ones who play the game, welcomed, and are on record saying so, the chance to play there. Nothing better than being able to go to an oppositions true home ground and taking the win, which they couldn't quite do.

Our fans on the other hand, you know the ones who choose to attend games or not, were upset because Geelongs small capacity ground meant that all those that wanted to go weren't able to.

I still don’t understand the issue, and never will. If North finish top next year and want to play it in Blundstone then good on them, let them. Bulldogs don’t have a single home game at the MCG yet if they finish top and Richmond or Collingwood are 4th guarantee they will be forced to play the MCG. Same goes for Essendon etc etc. it’s ridiculous and people can’t complain about integrity and fairness and yet have something that is easily fixable like this go by. I will never understand why people are against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You haven't been there for 6or7 years champ. Noone but you needs to check their facts.
The moment your sooky arsed mob recovered, put some cash in the bank and started winning a few extra games, your club (no surprise) didn't want to go there anymore. You probably haven't won a game there for 15 yrs, mainly because you were the biggest homeboyz in the game and still don't want to accept proper away games against anyone but bottom 4-6 mobs.

Who u playing this week in your last away game for the season ? Gold Coast ? How the Fk did you arrange that gift from the AFL ?
They can all settle in for mums home cooking and never leave the safety of the MCG after this week.

Bunch of pussies.
How long ago was 2017?

I still don’t understand the issue, and never will. If North finish top next year and want to play it in Blundstone then good on them, let them. Bulldogs don’t have a single home game at the MCG yet if they finish top and Richmond or Collingwood are 4th guarantee they will be forced to play the MCG. Same goes for Essendon etc etc. it’s ridiculous and people can’t complain about integrity and fairness and yet have something that is easily fixable like this go by. I will never understand why people are against it.
Because for 100 years it has been the peoples' game and big games are played at the G, it's one of the great things about the comp.

All good -write him a letter and tell him you absolutely disagree. You don’t think interstate teams should ever, in a thousand years get to play GF’s in Perth. I’m sure most of us easterners would be happy to support you on that beanie.

Na. I'll just post him a box of tissues and a dummy to suck on to help poor Danger and Geelong get over how unfair the competition is to them and other Victorian clubs.

That and some concrete to sprinkle on their wheat bix in the morning. Sounds like they need it.

Yet GWS and Gold Coast would play finals at their home ground despite smaller capacities.
Supply and demand. If/when the demand for fans to see those clubs play outgrows the capacity of their stadiums their finals games will be moved to the larger SCG/Gabba.

It's because cry baby fans from the likes of Richmond want to keep their advantage but make sure no one else has one, otherwise they'd never win it for most of the time.

Maybe you should try for a couple of home and away games at Seaford next year instead of selling your soul and playing in China.

I do understand the Melbourne side of the argument that if we were to have the GF interstate that they would probably dominate the competition given that they generally finish higher on the ladder a lot of the time but if you want to be a nation wide competition, then you open the flood gates to that argument. This shouldn't be a case for Geelong and their home final though.

Let’s face it, Stephen Hocking will give Geelong a home final at their homeground this upcoming finals series. We all know it’s coming after 2 years of complaining (even though it was never an issue before when they could win finals).
So, given that their first final won’t be played at a neutral venue like Marvel or the MCG, will they have an unfair advantage this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, now, petal, dry those eyes. If Richmond make it to fourth I'm sure the AFL will again gift them Geelong's home final. I mean, it just makes sense, given Richmond will have lost significantly more games than Geelong over the duration of the season. You're a very a special club, and are entitled to that bit extra.

Last edited:
Now, now, petal, dry those eyes. If Richmond make it to fourth I'm sure the AFL will again gift them Geelong's home final. I mean, it just makes sense, given Richmond will have lost significantly more games than Geelong over the duration of the season. You're a very a special club, and are entitled to that bit extra.
What if Collingwood finish 4th? Where will that be played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back