List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Listened to the Podcast and enjoyed it.
Interesting response to the question what does Port need at this years draft. Thought Parkers response was a typical recruiter not showing his cards but I’d be interested in what other people think we need.
It certainly won’t be a ruckman hbf or inside mid by my reckoning.
Might be a bit early Macca but how about a prediction for a speedy third round outside mid we can all get excited about?

Interesting response to the question what does Port need at this years draft. Thought Parkers response was a typical recruiter not showing his cards but I’d be interested in what other people think we need.
Might be a bit early Macca but how about a prediction for a speedy third round outside mid we can all get excited about?

I haven't had a chance to listen. What did Parker say? Not that he ever gives much away.

Darcy Cassar probably 2nd round but he'd be my number 1 priority around that range. Ryan Sparkes could be that player. Lachie Potter is a HBF but could play on a wing and is lightning quick. Josh Shute would fit the bill. Riley Baldi maybe. Isaac Wareham another who is very quick.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Outside mids - Stephenson and Sharpe with early picks. Don't mind cassar for a mid second rounder.

Day as HBF in the third wouldn't be bad.

Wouldn't mind Potter but would terrify me having him in defence. I would like to see what he could do as a HFF or small forward.

I wonder what effect the perception of our midfield being slow and of a similar type will have on our draft focus.

In some regards the lack of KPF depth in this draft means we can target one type of player, namely outside types.

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Darcy Cassar probably 2nd round but he'd be my number 1 priority around that range. Ryan Sparkes could be that player. Lachie Potter is a HBF but could play on a wing and is lightning quick. Josh Shute would fit the bill. Riley Baldi maybe. Isaac Wareham another who is very quick.

Thanks, really enjoy these threads, great to look back on at Draft time.
Couple of names there as well, that the nickname committee could have some fun with.

I don't quite follow the draft prospects with as much enthusiasm or time as a few years ago, but I have to agree that on the eye test to me from what I have seen over the past year Mead looks about right in that late first round early second bracket. I think philthy tends gets caught up a bit in making big, loud definitive calls on juniors. Opinions are good, but from experience I've generally found it's never cut and dried - particularly with father-son or "high profile" prospects where it's simply easier and natural to look for flaws (& try stand out as a draft watcher) - Brad Hill (especially), Darcy Moore & Josh Dunkley all ones I've got badly wrong.

Philthy could be 100% correct. There is plenty of positives and negatives with Jackson. I hope he drops later on in the draft!

I like Elijah Taylor

Edit: * it this post is live notes now

Q1

Jai Jackson has something. Trent Rivers weak at spotting targets twice now. Liam Henry I am Ok with Freo having dibs on but he might be good value for them on their flat track. Callum Jamieson has a real crack for a ruckman.

Jeremy Sharp’s ball drop for set shot needs work was never not going OOF. Feel like I might be a De Koning fan but need to see more still

Elijah Taylor has made me look his number up multiple times, v settled

Q2

Not convinced Ash is good. Henry continues to be loose everywhere. Sharp ok on the lead. Hollands burnt a good shot on goal. Weird almost bump from Ben Johnson that lacked followup. Cahill a furious looking runner but doesn’t seem to have a great top speed - good low centre of balance for crumbing or quick-turn leads though, he needs to do that.

Ben Johnson needs better targeting if he’s going to QB behind the clearance. Really don’t like Rivers, calling for it in bad positions, weak disposal, doesn’t help teammate when he knows hes set them up for trouble. Grainger-Barras is a conscientious defender, runs for the switch, takes smart options. Good long burst from Ash under proximity pressure from McDonald, and he hit his man on the chest.

Q3

Warming to Logan McDonald. Mark off De Koning for a clanger rebound under minimal pressure. Weightman is dangerous up forward hey. Thorn spent a lot of time doing meh stuff before that good goal. Hollands and Ash I’m really not sure what I make of them. Yeah doubt Thorn’ll make it. Increasingly feel a bid will come on Henry early.

OK I get Ash hype now, fast enough to outpace and keeps hitting targets despite his run - looked like peak Pittard then. Fantastic and important smother by Robertson.

I officially want Elijah Taylor at Port

Great mark by Kemp, even got the goal.

Q4

Game wise I reckon Country have it to come back from here, WA boys must be slowly freezing.

Major shank by De Koning under no pressure again, my love is fading. Flanders needs a good coach. Good intercept mark from Murphy (but uncontested). Jackson with a ripper tackle. Not sure what that I50 by Kemp was meant to be but it sucked. Literally saw O’Connor do a Janus special - handball to teammate’s feet.

Grainger-Barras good again, but apparently bottom age, damn. And again, s**t. Hollands is definitely a guy who could get drafted early and become absolutely nothing.

Rivers is an official Do Not Want. Wild is workery hardery - and if you call for the quick give, don’t fall over! Obvious free against Henry there not in WA now mate. Ash getting too cute with his run now. Wild I50ing like the roof is the goal. Not convinced Jamieson can ever get arm strong enough to wrestle in ruck. Cahill the obvious crumb goal to take the lead.

Good goal under pressure by Clarke, and game over. How fukn
stoked are the WA boys to steal that one, I miss excitement.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
FREMANTLE recruiters watched eagerly as potential Dockers draftee Liam Henry starred to lead Western Australia to a shock NAB AFL Under-18 Championships title on Wednesday.

Henry, a classy 179cm midfielder who is eligible to head to Fremantle at season's end as part of its Next Generation Academy, was a clear standout as Western Australia ended its 10-year Championships drought at Marvel Stadium with victory over Vic Country.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Mead looks good out there. Watching on fox footy.

Has a better game sense than most.

It’s hard to get a read of players as they all try to do way too much and don’t look for team options etc as they are obviously trying to just showcase themselves. However, Mead looks very classy and like a smart footballer.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Midfielders Tom Green and Mitch O'Neill were best for the Allies, while it was Harry Schoenberg who was the big riser for South Australia.

Having started the year relatively off the radar, Schoenberg has lifted with every week and shone at the championships in SA's midfield. Will Day, a versatile and athletic prospect, could be a top-20 player

The carnival showed it is a lean year for father-sons. Hawthorn has first call on midfielder Finn Maginness, who grew into the carnival and finished with 27 disposals (18 contested), nine tackles, seven clearances and seven inside-50s for Vic Metro last week.

He's a tall and strong midfielder who could attract a bid in the first 25 picks on draft night, while some clubs have Port Adelaide father-son prospect Jackson Mead pegged around the same mark.

Mead had 22 disposals and two goals against Vic Country last week and has shown he can hit the scoreboard from the midfield.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
DYLAN Stephens continued to enhance his draft reputation, leading South Australia to a comfortable victory in the final game of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

The possible top-10 pick, who has drawn comparisons to West Coast midfielder Andrew Gaff, was prolific as South Australia comfortably overcame the Allies at Marvel Stadium.

Stephens finished with 33 disposals, nine clearances and six tackles in a dominant display, starring alongside powerful defender Will Gould.

BEST
South Australia:
W Gould, H Schoenberg, K Pickett, J McEntee, L McNeill, K Finlay

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like Elijah Taylor

Edit: **** it this post is live notes now

Q1

Jai Jackson has something. Trent Rivers weak at spotting targets twice now. Liam Henry I am Ok with Freo having dibs on but he might be good value for them on their flat track. Callum Jamieson has a real crack for a ruckman.

Jeremy Sharp’s ball drop for set shot needs work was never not going OOF. Feel like I might be a De Koning fan but need to see more still

Elijah Taylor has made me look his number up multiple times, v settled

Q2

Not convinced Ash is good. Henry continues to be loose everywhere. Sharp ok on the lead. Hollands burnt a good shot on goal. Weird almost bump from Ben Johnson that lacked followup. Cahill a furious looking runner but doesn’t seem to have a great top speed - good low centre of balance for crumbing or quick-turn leads though, he needs to do that.

Ben Johnson needs better targeting if he’s going to QB behind the clearance. Really don’t like Rivers, calling for it in bad positions, weak disposal, doesn’t help teammate when he knows hes set them up for trouble. Grainger-Barras is a conscientious defender, runs for the switch, takes smart options. Good long burst from Ash under proximity pressure from McDonald, and he hit his man on the chest.

Q3

Warming to Logan McDonald. Mark off De Koning for a clanger rebound under minimal pressure. Weightman is dangerous up forward hey. Thorn spent a lot of time doing meh stuff before that good goal. Hollands and Ash I’m really not sure what I make of them. Yeah doubt Thorn’ll make it. Increasingly feel a bid will come on Henry early.

OK I get Ash hype now, fast enough to outpace and keeps hitting targets despite his run - looked like peak Pittard then. Fantastic and important smother by Robertson.

I officially want Elijah Taylor at Port

Great mark by Kemp, even got the goal.

Q4

Game wise I reckon Country have it to come back from here, WA boys must be slowly freezing.

Major shank by De Koning under no pressure again, my love is fading. Flanders needs a good coach. Good intercept mark from Murphy (but uncontested). Jackson with a ripper tackle. Not sure what that I50 by Kemp was meant to be but it sucked. Literally saw O’Connor do a Janus special - handball to teammate’s feet.

Grainger-Barras good again, but apparently bottom age, damn. And again, s**t. Hollands is definitely a guy who could get drafted early and become absolutely nothing.

Rivers is an official Do Not Want. Wild is workery hardery - and if you call for the quick give, don’t fall over! Obvious free against Henry there not in WA now mate. Ash getting too cute with his run now. Wild I50ing like the roof is the goal. Not convinced Jamieson can ever get arm strong enough to wrestle in ruck. Cahill the obvious crumb goal to take the lead.

Good goal under pressure by Clarke, and game over. How fukn
stoked are the WA boys to steal that one, I miss excitement.

lol go watch WA's 1st game when rivers pulled up a chair and a bucket of popcorn to watch Worrell take an uncontested flat footed barest skerrick of an effort mark while his teammate ran from the stands to try to contest it. if I was his coach I would have fly kicked Trent into next year. but people have had heaps of good things to say about him.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
lol go watch WA's 1st game when rivers pulled up a chair and a bucket of popcorn to watch Worrell take an uncontested flat footed barest skerrick of an effort mark while his teammate ran from the stands to try to contest it. if I was his coach I would have fly kicked Trent into next year. but people have had heaps of good things to say about him.
Did you notice how he managed to block half the WA side out of the photo by going up front for the trophy shot?

Most me-first junior player I’ve seen in a championships side, not even G enough to be a FIGJAM

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
Jackson mead made the all Aus team in the forward line !

Screenshot_20190704-134315_AFL.jpg

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Chris25 with his top 10 SA players from the main draft board:

1. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from Norwood) - draft range 4 to 10
I wouldn't say Stephens has quite been at his best consistently over the Championships, but I think he's done enough to cement himself as one of the top line midfielders in this draft - and arguably the best outside midfielder available. Teams will value his running ability and foot skills highly, with the view to start him on a wing and move inside over time.

2. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from Glenelg) - draft range 8 to 18
I have no doubts at all that Gould will be a good player and for a long time - if anyone from this draft is going to become a 200 game player and captain, it'll be him. He could slot in at half back in any team now and do well. And he's made for taking the kick outs, nobody in the draft is a better kick over 50m. It's impossible not to like the way he plays. I have a feeling he may slip into the middle of the first round, which would be crazy good value for a finals team. Gold Coast should find a way to get him though, even if it means trading Jack Martin.

3. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from Norwood) - draft range 15 to 40
He's been hampered by injury at the Championships, and it could well hurt his draft stocks. His best is top 3 in the draft though, few have his pure talent or ability in the forward half. Performances at league level in the SANFL have been excellent, with 11 goals from his first 3 games - get back to 100% and play like that again, and he still looks a first round pick. Plays the DeGoey type forward role from the goal square, he's a difficult match up. Still developing a midfield game though.

4. Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 20 to 50
As solid a defender as you'll find. He's an elite intercept mark for a junior, he's got strong hands and reads the play well. When SA kick long after a behind, it's often to Finlay in a contest. Bit of Tom Clurey in the way he plays, unassuming but you just know he'll win his battle more often than not.

5. Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from Woodville) - draft range 12 to 25
Just a good player who does everything well. Doesn't necessarily have any one elite trait, but he's versatile and consistent. Thought his game against Country was by far his best and most influential, the earlier rounds he was good without standing out. Smart player in close, probably starts across half forward for the first couple of years. Has been on the verge of playing seniors in the SANFL, hopefully that will come soon.

6. Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 20 to 50
I find it hard to separate Finlay and Hilder as prospects, and they even play similar games. Also a strong intercept mark, Hilder has even more ideal size and has league experience in the SANFL. And for someone his size, he's surprisingly good with ball in hands and rebounds strongly.

7. Will Day (187cm, 70kg from West Adelaide) - draft range 25 to 40
Plenty of people in SA were excited about Day heading into the Championships, and he's certainly delivered and caught the attention of many more people. One of SA's best and most consistent players across the first three weeks, would be close to AA selection. I've always talked about how highly I rate skinny kids who can mark, it shows natural talent and the ability to read the play. Tested very well for speed, endurance and leap earlier this year too. I know others talk about his potential as an outside midfielder, but he's a half back for me.

8. Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from Woodville) - draft range 20 to 50
Hasn't quite had the Championships that he would have liked so far, but he still finds a way to get onto the highlight reel each week. In terms of pure talent, he's as good as any small forward from the last few years. He's a high flyer, but still does the Pickett name proud with the way he hits. Always impossible to know where small forwards will be taken.

9. Harry Schoenberg (180cm, 78kg from Woodville) - draft range 25 to 50
On the flipside, Schoenberg has definitely had the Championships he would have liked. SA's most consistent midfielder, he just keeps racking up the touches - and it's exactly what he does in the SANFL too. He's not a bullocking inside type, but he's smart and positions himself well to get first touch. He's a one touch player and has nice hands in close. Kicking is clean and he generally makes good decisions. I feel clubs will consider him to have a lower ceiling than others, doesn't have ideal size for his role and doesn't have the overall hurt factor to move outside. Definitely a role for him though and recent draft history suggests his type goes second/third round.

10. Joshua Shute (187cm, 73kg from Sturt) - draft range 40 to 70
Flying under the radar a little, I think Shute has had a sneaky good Championships and is firming as a mid round raft pick. He's the type of player that scouts and recruiters will like. Nice size at 187cm, he's a good kick and has strong hands overhead. Offers the versatility to play wing, half back or half forward.

Back