Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
There are people who are actually into the cult of celebrity.

As in, they might really really like Taylor Swift. But they like the idea of being known as a huge Taylor Swift fan.

These people have like a hierarchy. They're generally kind of unattractive girls sitting on twitter with 60,000 followers constantly tweeting about #niallhoran or something. But more than the celebrity themselves, they like the idea of just being hardcore into something, holding things over other fans ('I travelled to every continent on the last tour! I went straight from LAX to the Rose Bowl... then back again! Worth it. Hey and don't call me rich!'). They all bitch and passive-aggressively undermine one another.

It's a strange recent cult that's been ramped up by social media and the general one-up-ism of social media.

I kind of feel like these get-togethers have a bit of that too.

Then again I guess it shows itself in other ways with footy. I hate Ross Lyon and think there's far too many issues with Freo but people on there say I'm a troll because I voice opinions. People who can't drop punt, have been into football since 2007, but have been a member every year and are silly enough to travel to see the pricks five times a year say I'm not a true fan. Even though I've been wearing their colours since I was about six months old. Bizarre.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
A lot of people in cheer squads at footy games come across as the types who would be eunuchs to be honest.
Actual nuffies is more fitting.

It's a nasty thing to say and I try not to mention it very often – think maybe twice in all my time on this shithole – but it is true. It's one of those taboos everyone just accepts but rarely broaches.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
A lot of people in cheer squads at footy games come across as the types who would be eunuchs to be honest.

Actual nuffies is more fitting.

It's a nasty thing to say and I try not to mention it very often – think maybe twice in all my time on this s**thole – but it is true. It's one of those taboos everyone just accepts but rarely broaches.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't mind a Frrrrreeeeeeeeeeooooorrrr or a Cooooooooolliiiiiiiiiingwoooooood but I really dislike the soccer-style thing some try to get going. Or the school sports carnival style 'everywhere we goooo...' oooof!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't mind a Frrrrreeeeeeeeeeooooorrrr or a Cooooooooolliiiiiiiiiingwoooooood but I really dislike the soccer-style thing some try to get going. Or the school sports carnival style 'everywhere we goooo...' oooof!
I was at the Hawks vs Eagles game on Saturday, standing in the Eagles area (Hawks fan by the way) and a group of guys started dancing and singing "Champione, Champione, Ole, Ole, Ole". Was hands down the cringiest thing I have seen at a sporting event.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
IMO it is more to do with we are more reactive to what is happening on the ground and therefore there isn't really the time for chants to start up and get a good sing through.
It's just a cultural thing. Both Rugby codes are as boring as s**t yet there are no chants there either. It's a British/European thing

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you still get those funny *ers who yell something a few times a quarter and get everyone laughing?

It seemed to be dying out when I stopped going in about 2017.

So many try hards would say the lamest, cringiest 'disses' and then others would be pie-breathed morons swearing and slandering with so many campaigners, black campaigners, ******s. Terrible.

The bloke who doesn't really swear but cuts a player deep is dying out.

I remember one game at the 'G where Ty Vickery was somehow playing for the Hawks against the Crows. He dropped a chest mark in the square under no pressure, missed the soccer, and an Adelaide player just clean picked it up from under him. This old bloke goes 'Clarko, I love ya mate, do what ya want... but Vickery's too much!' Classic.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's just a cultural thing. Both Rugby codes are as boring as s**t yet there are no chants there either. It's a British/European thing
British? * those little bitches. Tea and crumpet ass pussies. You gotta come to a Timbers game at the Home Loans Pappa John SuperParkArena by Home Depot Stadium. You wanna see real passion? You want to see hardcore fans? Don't cross us you little bitch.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
People don't chant at the footy because there is always stuff happening. The atmosphere at an AFL game is entirely dependent on what's happening. If WC are winning a home game then the crowd will cheer the goals and good play. If WC are losing comfortably it's pretty much dead silence. If it's close then there will be a tension just like you'd get with a 50/50 crowd. The AFL cream themselves over getting 80,000 to games at the MCG but half of them end up one sided and the atmosphere is dead. If you had a packed house at one of the big famous grounds in Europe it would be 90 minutes of noise for a 0-0 draw.

People used to sing/chant at the cricket here but that's faded a bit as interest has gravitated towards T20 which is non stop something. Most of the 'atmosphere' at tests comes from the Barmy Army singing and playing trumpet, Sri Lankans banging drums and making a racket etc. 'Strayans just drink mid strength beer, make beer snakes and fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back