Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, I think you're rewriting history a bit there.

The fact of the matter is that Geelong weren't going to trade Kelly, at all. You have an absolute gun on rookie wages and you're likely to fall off a cliff soon as a team. The benefits for Geelong keeping him vastly outweigh the advantages of trading him; you effectively treated him like cattle, a utility for success rather than someone playing for your club.

And it's not like we offered unders either - our final deal was 20, 22 and a future second for Kelly, after Wells kept changing the demands constantly. You then wanted 20, 22 and a future first for him with nothing coming back. Personally, I wanted Kelly so desperately that I would've accepted that instantly, but WC decided it was overs. Now we probably have to pay more at the end of the year, but you can't claim that we were substantially undervaluing Tim - the difference was literally 9-10 pick places in the draft.

I've linked this before but a story on the Kelly Trade using Chris Scott as the source stated of the story stated.
It seems to be the most recent up to date information on the actual trade that seems to use Chris Scott as the source.
Chris Scott’s head was on the pillow in a Cambridge, Massachusetts bedroom but his mind was spinning at a million miles an hour.
In that lonely pre-dawn hour the Geelong premiership coach was getting his head around life after Tim Kelly.
Scott was completing a Harvard University study course, but back home master recruiter Stephen Wells was completing a trade deal for Kelly that Scott had officially endorsed.
All West Coast needed was to pull the trigger and hand over picks 20, 22 and their 2019 second-rounder in exchange for Kelly and the Cats’ 2019 third-rounder.
Geelong had just handed the reigning premiers the most electrifying young midfield talent to enter the game that season.
Then Scott’s phone beeped again.
“It was about 4.30am US time and I was in Harvard so I had a little bit on my mind over and above the Tim Kelly thing, which was clearly the most important thing on my mind,” Scott revealed to the Herald Sun this week.
“I love him as a player and I wanted to keep him playing with Geelong but I hung up the phone thinking we would have lost him.
“So then the text message came through 15 minutes later. It’s always Wellsy, he takes responsibility for it. The text just said NO DEAL.

Of course we didn't want to let him go but at the same time the club has always shown they are willing to put the players interests first (Christensen), I don't doubt they had the intentions of getting the trade done if WC would come to the party but they wouldn't. I will add that I think the whole wanting to go home but not Freo didn't help TK's predicament and probably meant the club wasn't as soft as they would usually be in these situations.

I've linked this before but a story on the Kelly Trade using Chris Scott as the source stated of the story stated.
It seems to be the most recent up to date information on the actual trade that seems to use Chris Scott as the source.

Of course we didn't want to let him go but at the same time the club has always shown they are willing to put the players interests first (Christensen), I don't doubt they had the intentions of getting the trade done if WC would come to the party but they wouldn't. I will add that I think the whole wanting to go home but not Freo didn't help TK's predicament and probably meant the club wasn't as soft as they would usually be in these situations.

I'm pretty certain that article is factually incorrect. Around the time of the Tim Kelly trade, it was widely reported that what Geelong wanted was 20, 22 and a future first round pick, rather than a future second. Here are a couple articles from October of last year that indicate as such:

PerthNow:
Kelly finished equal second in the Cats’ best-and-fairest after a stunning debut season and was in high demand.

The 24-year-old wanted to return to WA for family reasons and play with West Coast, making it clear via his management that he would rather stay with Geelong than play with Fremantle.

Eagles list boss Brady Rawlings said Geelong’s trade demands – understood to be draft picks 20 and 22 this year as well as a future first-round selection – were too high.

Triple M:
Kelly could not be traded in the dying moments of the 2018 trade period, failing to complete his desire to return home to Western Australia.

The Eagles had reportedly offered up pick 20, pick 22 and their 2019 second round pick for Kelly, which the Cats denied.

Geelong’s demand reportedly included West Coast’s future first round pick.

The Roar:
West Coast reportedly upped their offer to include picks 20 and 22 this year as well as their 2019 second-round pick, but the Cats refused to blink on their demand that the deal include a 2019 first-round selection.

This is all shortly after the TK trade fell through, and I personally remember on the trade stream in the final minutes that this was the reported final offer. At no point during that time did the claim in the HS article come out - it is only six months after the fact we are finding it out.

I'm pretty certain that article is factually incorrect. Around the time of the Tim Kelly trade, it was widely reported that what Geelong wanted was 20, 22 and a future first round pick, rather than a future second. Here are a couple articles from October of last year that indicate as such:

This is all shortly after the TK trade fell through, and I personally remember on the trade stream in the final minutes that this was the reported final offer. At no point during that time did the claim in the HS article come out - it is only six months after the fact we are finding it out.

I think it should be noted that all the links you have say "reportedly or understood" which more than likely means they are incorrect. The article I linked earlier doesn't state that, it put's it as pretty black and white.

Every single trade scenario from last year is speculation.

What isn't speculation is that Geelong accepted no offer presented by WC for their contracted player. Next.

What’s not speculated is that WCE failed to offer a good enough deal for the cats to accept! And you can take that as FACT!

Hm. Is arguing over what happened last year relevant to what Tim will do at the end of 2019? His personal situation has changed, his performance has improved, the clubs positions have changed, his family's position has changed. It actually seems pretty irrelevant...

I'm wondering if the noise about the Hill brothers might be related to Kelly though. I dunno how true it is but it does change things a bit, if in fact the Kelly family have a disagreement with the Hill brothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said champ, your offer was rejected. That’s is FACT!

What is also a fact is Kelly has repeatedly rejected Geelongs multiple offers to re-sign.

So the 'exceptional offer' Wells was demanding was what exactly?

Three 2nd rounders?

Useless picks according to many on here but now it was good enough to do the deal?

Pull the other one!

You guys are seriously funny.

He could also sit out a year like McCarthy did to get to the Dockers

Geelong fans only rule that out for their own fantasies

I think he either gets a massive offer from Geelong or a worthy offer from the Eagles and Geelong get what we have available

Just like Danger got to Geelong for massive unders because he wanted to get there
So um, you do know the reason McCarthy sat out was because he was contracted right? Tim isn't contracted. His only way west is trade or draft. You don't want to trade him Freo would be more than happy to spend their pick 8-12 on him at the draft table I'd say.

The deal put forth from WC was 20,22 and a 2019 second with nothing coming back.

I still find it amusing that WC could of swapped 20 and 22 for a then pick 12 or 13 (from Sydney I believe). This could of been live traded to Carlton, as per the Carlton/Adelaide deal, on the night for Carlton's future 1st rounder, which is likely to be Pick 1 or 2 this year.
That would have been an intriguing one. I think that Carlton trade was a bit of a SOS special though. I mean, he gave us Zach Tuohy for essentially a 6 place pick downgrade.

So um, you do know the reason McCarthy sat out was because he was contracted right? Tim isn't contracted. His only way west is trade or draft. You don't want to trade him Freo would be more than happy to spend their pick 8-12 on him at the draft table I'd say.

Yep, we all know that the Cats will be happy to get nothing in return.

Also you better start cheering on Essendon then.

Giants will be shopping around that pick.

Can't force a player to go where he doesn't want to go though, which is why he stayed at Geelong this year. Preferred to stay at Geelong this year than go to Freo as apparently there are personal reasons why he didn't want to go to Freo?
His managemany had come out and reversed their stance on it though. At least publicly

So the 'exceptional offer' Wells was demanding was what exactly?

Three 2nd rounders?
Pick 20, Pick 22 plus what appears to be around Pick 18-20 in 2019 (once academy bids are done). I believe that the Cats also enquired about Allen and Brander as steak knives.

Look, it's not a top-ten pick, but you have to deal with what you've got.

Exceptional for a player who was taken at pick 24 the year before? Definitely.
Exceptional for a player who gave Kelly's 2018 output in just one season? Not exceptional, but certainly pricey.
Exceptional for a player who is leading the 2019 AFLCA award by (I believe) 13 votes? Frankly, it's looking more like a bargain.

PerthNow:

Triple M:

The Roar:

20/22 & 2019 pick 30+ does seem too cheap to be real, but also consider that no actual party to the trade negotiations has mentioned what the offers were. Just media talking heads at the time repeating whispers in the echo chamber. How often are the media completely wide of the mark?

I have no idea what was put on the table in trade for Kelly. All I know is that what was offered last year, whatever that was, wasn't accepted and that at face value this year he has two suitors who will try to outdo each other. Whether that nets the cats a fair deal or not I don't know, all I know is one WA club misses out, one WA club walks away thinking they overpaid, and the cats walk away thinking they got dudded. Give it 3 years we'll know who played it well and who didn't.

Yep, we all know that the Cats will be happy to get nothing in return.

Also you better start cheering on Essendon then.

Giants will be shopping around that pick.
Was tongue in cheek. I'm not expecting him to go anywhere near the draft. He goes to the draft if a deal to get him home can't be worked out. With two trading destinations on the table competing for his signature I would say it's highly unlikely that the draft option is a factor

Pick 20, Pick 22 plus what appears to be around Pick 18-20 in 2019 (once academy bids are done). I believe that the Cats also enquired about Allen and Brander as steak knives.

Look, it's not a top-ten pick, but you have to deal with what you've got.

Exceptional for a player who was taken at pick 24 the year before? Definitely.
Exceptional for a player who gave Kelly's 2018 output in just one season? Not exceptional, but certainly pricey.
Exceptional for a player who is leading the 2019 AFLCA award by (I believe) 13 votes? Frankly, it's looking more like a bargain.
Bargain in hindsight, absolutely.. but you can see why both clubs did what they did. Could have just as easily gone balls up with Kelly coming back to a more comfortable environment, big pay cheque, and as a result, performances dropping off or plateauing. We then would have traded completely out of one draft and been hamstrung in regards to trading future first rounders (2019 one is the last one we can trade out in this period I believe). Don’t think anyone can claim they were expecting a season like this so any comments about us missing an obvious bargain aren’t really close to the mark. It was a risk that in hindsight we should have jumped at, but as a club we historically aren’t overly risky with our drafting and trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back