FTA-TV The Front Bar (Thurs Ed) 2018

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
They should get the gambling part out of the show. But at least we get to see what a hypocrite Andy Maher is, always takes the moral high ground for mental health, domestic violence, yet there he is reading out the odds each week.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Was a bit flat last night

That comes down to the guest Robert Harvey just not having the right personality for the show. Champion player, seems like a nice bloke (and never seems to age) but a bad fit for a comedy show like this.

They've had a generally good run of guests suiting the style of the show; Harvey was the first one since Malthouse/Scarlett at the start of the year that didn't work.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Not really suited for a show like this, he's been so obviously nervous and not the funniest guy going around. Hard to get a smile out of him. Better suited to a more serious show.
I remember him being in a sketch on TFB a couple of years back so they obviously had a connection with him for a while and perhaps figured he'd show his funny side on the show itself but was not to be.

That comes down to the guest Robert Harvey just not having the right personality for the show. Champion player, seems like a nice bloke (and never seems to age) but a bad fit for a comedy show like this.

They've had a generally good run of guests suiting the style of the show; Harvey was the first one since Malthouse/Scarlett at the start of the year that didn't work.

True about Harvey, but thought they were a little flat before he came on as well. The Worsfold joke was over played. You’re going to have the odd flat show now and then. I’m sure they’ll bounce back

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
They should get the gambling part out of the show. But at least we get to see what a hypocrite Andy Maher is, always takes the moral high ground for mental health, domestic violence, yet there he is reading out the odds each week.
Should they remove the beers and pub stage too just in case it turns all the viewers into alcoholics?

Maybe we could all just be responsible for our own actions...

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Should they remove the beers and pub stage too just in case it turns all the viewers into alcoholics?

Maybe we could all just be responsible for our own actions...

You say that sarcastically but most of the time it's considered bawdy to be drinking live on air. TFB have somehow managed to normalise even that, which is probably a step or two in the wrong direction. It wouldn't lose anything if you got rid of the pub setting.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes it would.....it would have to lose it's title for a start.

Secondly, drinking beer in a pub is quite legal and there is an age limit as to when people can drink in said pubs. Therefor those people can take responsibility for their actions.

Neither myself or my husband drink alcohol, I never have, but I fail to see how a show depicting a pub setting is going to have such an influence that it will turn viewers into alcoholics.

...imo it would be a cop out if someone was to say they became an alcoholic due to a tv show. Seriously.

People need to worry about their own business instead of worrying about other people and what they might or might not get up to or be influenced by.....

Lighten up.

the avoca drover

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2007
The house of Jim Jess
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon UTT
That doesn't mean blanket advertising of harmful products should be forced on everyone who wants to watch AFL or AFL shows. We got rid of cigarette advertising for similar reasons.
I don’t think there is blanket advertising for alcohol during the footy shows l watch. The gambling adds seem to be full on, especially on the radio. Apart from Tattslotto, l don’t gamble but the adds don’t make me rush out to try it. The cigarette advertising is a bit different. Doctors will tell you that there is no safe level of smoking but you can drink alcohol at a safe level and l would assume you can gamble at a level that doesn’t cause problems.
I think gambling is a big issue as it’s so easy to do now. I’m involved in local footy and the young blokes are always talking about their bets etc, it seems to be a way of life for them.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I don’t think there is blanket advertising for alcohol during the footy shows l watch. The gambling adds seem to be full on, especially on the radio. Apart from Tattslotto, l don’t gamble but the adds don’t make me rush out to try it. The cigarette advertising is a bit different. Doctors will tell you that there is no safe level of smoking but you can drink alcohol at a safe level and l would assume you can gamble at a level that doesn’t cause problems.
I think gambling is a big issue as it’s so easy to do now. I’m involved in local footy and the young blokes are always talking about their bets etc, it seems to be a way of life for them.

There is blanket advertising for a show like TFB.

Smoking, gambling and alcohol are all addictive products harmful to the community. Whether it's harmful at one drink or three seems like an incidental difference. You could even argue there's more of a case to ban alcohol advertising as it tends to cause collateral damage.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I didn't see the show. But I love that this happened.

tfb.jpg

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Opening segment of gags on this week's show really seemed to fall flat with the studio audience.

With Fitzgerald there instead of Molloy the subtle aspects of the timing between the trio seemed to be slightly off but the material didn't seem any worse overall (and I think Fitzgerald is pretty funny imo). Perhaps it's that audiences are so expectant of having the regular trio they just find it less enjoyable if they're not all there.

Back