Roast Strip the captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

This season is imploding. I just read the tom jonas quotes strangely in the canberra times?

He says we don't know the answers but are doing everything to stamp out the inconsistency. How the f*** can you be doing everything to stamp out the inconsistency if you don't even have an idea of the cause? It's friggin drivel. The good thing is playing against the crows is emotional so the boys should bounce back. Awesome. These dudes are clueless and get paid a fortune for winning some games and losing some games in a tough competition.

"It has become a little bit baffling. Obviously we don't know the answer right now," Jonas told reporters on Monday.
Critics believe Port thrive on emotional challenges of playing competition heavyweights - in addition to downing Geelong, they're the sole club to beat reigning premiers West Coast in Perth this season.

But against lesser-lights such as the Bulldogs, the Power consistently fall short.
"We have probably got to own and accept that," Jonas said of the criticism.
"We have been an inconsistent team for a long time.
"We're doing everything we can to stamp that out but at the moment that seems to be the case.
"Fortunately this week it's usually a pretty emotional one ... so I daresay we will bounce back."
An inconsistent team because it lacks structure. Monster the oppo in I50's and lose more often than not.
A home ground advantage that feels like a net negative. Think about that coz it's weird with a coach of 7yrs

I was reflecting on the captaincy last night and had a thought that both Jonas and Wines are having just about career worst seasons. I asked myself well why is that. It can't just be the captaincy or the coaching.

Then it occured to me. They've got a dark hole in their psyche because of the supporters response to the captaincy.

I said the day the decision was made that they've been setup to fail by Ken. There is no way they were going to win from this. An intensely unpopular decision meant they either had to produce a perfect result or face the backlash. Unsurprisingly the result has been a disaster and their confidence and self belief is now at an all time low, coupled with the feeling deep down that the supporters are against them.

Wines I feel sorry for, he was nowhere near ready.

Jonas who I wanted as captain lost me the minute he opened his mouth and started being a complete ******* smartass to the supporters when the decision came out.

They're broken now. The decision has ruined their positions at the club along with Hinkleys.
It's just another example of Kens lack of judgement.

Right idea, wrong cause. Both players have had great games this season - they played together against West Coast, for example.

They've got a dark hole in their psyche because they know that they aren't leaders. It's literally not in their DNA. The side is never going to respond to them. The playing group was split because each player has certain qualities that complement the other, but a true leader tempers discipline with compassion.

I'll go into numerology, and you'll understand why they fail. Wines is a 4. People with the life path of 4 need rules and regulations in order to thrive. They are about discipline, loyalty and hard work. It makes perfect sense that Hinkley would push for Wines to be captain because of these factors, because Wines would be all about adhering to the system. Unfortunately, when it's time to move away from playing the system, Wines will always be too slow to adapt on the field. He should have been telling the players to just keep getting the ball forward at all costs and telling the forwards to play in front because of that. But he didn't, because he's not capable of changing thing on the fly. Watts is also a 4, which makes sense when you consider that his best work comes when he's playing in defence and not in the creative role of a forward.

Jonas is a 3. Optimistic, egotistic and undisciplined. Pretty much the exact opposite of Wines. He's charismatic and draws a lot of people to him - people often mistaken charisma for leadership, but true leaders are the ones that simply go about their business and operate from the shadows, only popping up when they are required to do so. If things are going wrong, Jonas will blame pretty much anyone other than himself, and never take responsibility. It's never his fault when he has a poor game, and we've seen in the past how undisciplined he can be. The absolute worst choice as a captain.

Hartlett, who was my pick as soon as Boak stepped down as captain, is a 5. A person who is a 5 is full of energy, can adapt to different situations easily, daring and bold - the very aspects of what the coaching staff claim they want the side to be. Their only draw back is that their efforts can be sporadic - unless they have something to channel their energy into, a particular task for example, they will fade in and out of situations. Robbie Gray and Burton are also 5s - if you're looking for a guy to win the game in a quarter, it's these guys.

By the by, Boak is a 7 - the number of the introvert. Analytical, perceptive and spiritual. He is the combination of both Wines (4) and Jonas (3). People with the life path of 7 feel that they have a specific quest or path that they must follow. He was never going to be a leader either - his quest is individual. Houston and Rockliff are also a 7. Duursma's life path is full of 7s. Sam Hayes is a 7. Rozee is a 7, but contains a 22 in his birthday, so his quest is a very special one. If you're thinking these players could make good captains, what you're looking at is their drive to succeed on an individual level. If you burden these types with extra responsibility, it's like hitching a trailer to the back of a Ferrari.

If I was picking the captain, based on nothing but numerology? Scott Lycett. His life path is 11. He wouldn't just relish the opportunity to be captain of Port Adelaide, it would make him thrive. We all saw how he played when he was given the responsibility of sole ruck against Geelong. That was more to do with the leadership aspect that such a responsibility gave him.

So my choice as captain has now shifted from Hartlett to Lycett. Give him the 1, and watch him fly.
Agree with Lycett as captain. A true PA footballer. Rest of post???

I listened to a speaker about the high performance yesterday, Tony Wilson. He also worked with many sporting teams.

He spoke about the teams who won the close games, keep calm and are able to follow a rigid trusted process and understand it.

For those who blame the players and not the coach, I think that answers the argument about coaching flaws.
I'd like to listen or have a read Rick. Can you find it online anywhere?

I'd like to listen or have a read Rick. Can you find it online anywhere?

Google Tony Wilson, I have the audio recording but his IP so I can’t share really.

Will do. Thanks.

This may help you

I don't know what criteria they used to select captaincy on this occasion but skill and the ability on the field must not have been one of them. With or without the criteria of today, each of Quinn, Fos, Cahill, Motley, Cunningham and Ebert would still be fine captains in the modern era even though they were part time footballers. Just because Wines and Jonas are AFL fulltime professionals their abilities on and off the field are still not anywhere near the level of the above mentioned legends. It just shows you how much of a bush league scrubber level we've fallen to. Is it any wonder why many of our players exhibit skill regression when a coach sees Wines as an elite player. If ever we needed a special character like a Quinn and Fos to emerge as a real captain, to fall into our laps, it is the next captain appointment. It cannot come sooner. If Wines proves me to be wrong then so be it but under Hinkley I don't think he's got a chance to improve.

I feel we need to make a play like Brisbane did with Hodge.

Find the next player like that to raise the expectation level of the group.

I’d love to pinch that type of player into our coaching mix also, hard, win at all costs.

We’re too nice, too meek, the good guys where it’s good to be honourable in defeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In this morning's Monopoly Times a super cool Tom Jonas accepts Kochie's criticsm re last week's performance but also had this to say '... we are doing a lot right. As bad as it might look that we lose one, win one, it’s not absolute panic stations. '

Tom, if you lose this week you will need to win 6 from the last 7 games to reach the magic 13 wins that you need to guarantee a finals spot. You openly admit that the side has trouble winning two games in a row and you are now telling us that losing this week and being faced with winning 6 from 7 is a no worries deal?

..... We’re too nice, too meek, the good guys where it’s good to be honourable in defeat.
We're just a struggling little suburban club with a long way to go to be as good as the other clubs and someone has to lose.

I’d love to pinch that type of player into our coaching mix also, hard, win at all costs.

We’re too nice, too meek, the good guys where it’s good to be honourable in defeat.

Agreed, Hodge can be seen directing traffic, congratulating players, and even telling them what they have done wrong if required, whilst our two `non' captains are about as animated as shop store dummies, except for the way too regular inane grin on Jonas's face.

In this morning's Monopoly Times a super cool Tom Jonas accepts Kochie's criticsm re last week's performance but also had this to say '... we are doing a lot right. As bad as it might look that we lose one, win one, it’s not absolute panic stations. '

Tom, if you lose this week you will need to win 6 from the last 7 games to reach the magic 13 wins that you need to guarantee a finals spot. You openly admit that the side has trouble winning two games in a row and you are now telling us that losing this week and being faced with winning 6 from 7 is a no worries deal?

So at what stage do we start to get desperate?

When finals are mathematically impossible?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not convinced we'll need 13 wins to get into finals this year TBH. We're currently sitting 7-7 but only out of the 8 on percentage. 12 wins and maintaining our percentage would probably do it from here.

What he meant to say was "As AFL footballers, we need a life outside of the game, so you can't expect us to be switched on 100% of the time. I think 50% is fair and that means you'll get weeks where we don't turn up as we're focused on work life balance."

I'm not convinced we'll need 13 wins to get into finals this year TBH. We're currently sitting 7-7 but only out of the 8 on percentage. 12 wins and maintaining our percentage would probably do it from here.

That would be such a Hinkley way of keeping his job. Scraping into the finals by percentage.

We couldn't make the finals from 11-4 last year with a moderate draw, we're not making them from 7-7 with a difficult draw.

What will happen is we'll get to 8-10 or something and then start playing good football again once the pressure to make finals is off.

I can’t even remember who I voted for as my captain preference, but I sure as hell didn’t let Wines wakeboard, nor did I allow Jonas to wear a Rostrevor College mouthguard. Co-captains was the final straw for me and this administration. I’ve stripped myself away from them until the wrong is righted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back