Current injury list

I wasn't, the players were
There were rumours about it a few years. The only player who i read publicly comment on it was Sidebottom who laughed it off when asked about it. And frankly even if the rumours of the player concerns were correct, I doubt too many of them are experts on the injury producing effects of a slightly harder than usual training surface.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
uh huh, 9 years

And as others have pointed out, a lot more complex than the training surface. Happy for you to quote any recent player rumblings about the training surface. Optus oval is copping it so players will make comments but all we hear is crickets chirping from the CFC.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Not a bad thing for someone with mental health issues.

Yeah, maybe, having not been confronted by the black dog I can’t comment. What I can comment on is that if social media was a trigger he was well on top of it for a while because from November to about April he was extremely prolific.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
And as others have pointed out, a lot more complex than the training surface. Happy for you to quote any recent player rumblings about the training surface. Optus oval is copping it so players will make comments but all we hear is crickets chirping from the CFC.
9 years

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There were rumours about it a few years. The only player who i read publicly comment on it was Sidebottom who laughed it off when asked about it. And frankly even if the rumours of the player concerns were correct, I doubt too many of them are experts on the injury producing effects of a slightly harder than usual training surface.
9 years, and I heard very differently

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Taylor Adams confirms he will definitely return against the Giants & is touch & go for next week’s clash with the Eagles.

D-gu55TVUAATzzG.jpg

9 years, and I heard very differently
I'm not discounting the training ground theory. I'm only discounting your certainty. I imagine a fair bit of research has been done on the negative side effects of running on hard surfaces, what sort of injuries does it promote? Do they match with the injuries we've had.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

And we didn't move training from Gosch's paddock till mid 2013 or early 2014 so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
And we didn't move training from Gosch's paddock till mid 2013 or early 2014 so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
In 2008 Gosch's came under the management of Melbourne and Olympic Parks, having previously been under the control of the City of Melbourne.

Over 2009/10 the Number 2 Oval was upgraded for the benefit of Melbourne Football Club, Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Victory. The Number 1 Oval served as Collingwood Football Club's training ground between 2007-12.

In 2008 Gosch's came under the management of Melbourne and Olympic Parks, having previously been under the control of the City of Melbourne.

Over 2009/10 the Number 2 Oval was upgraded for the benefit of Melbourne Football Club, Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Victory. The Number 1 Oval served as Collingwood Football Club's training ground between 2007-12.
Number 2s is a good spot for the Dees.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think they will risk flying him over to Perth even if he is right for next week. Same with Howe.

Hopefully, both back for the GWS game.

Doubt the Perth flight would come into their thinking with Adams. Might be more circumspect with Howe.

Injuries, but not many changes or players used across the season so far. Possibly suggests that our injuries have been longer term and either our depth players have came in and done their job, we prefer to maintain a consistent 22 or we don't have much pressure below for spots (likely a mix of all three).

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Interesting how we use Darcy Moore this week.

There is no doubt teams are dragging him away from the contest. So it's up to him and the coaching group now to see how they deal with that.

It's something Jeremy McGovern would cop every week. McGovern however seems to dictate his position and doesn't get drawn out by his opponent. It's a risk because it means you can spot up his opponent on the lead.

However, the Eagles rely on strong pressure down the ground to force long bombs inside 50, which allows McGovern to peel off.

I think the biggest problem for Darcy the last 2 weeks has been the lack of pressure up the field. Both the Doggies and Kangaroos were able to waltz out of our attacking 50 with no pressure and cut through our midfield.

So in summary, the midfield and forward line need to put more pressure on to allow Darcy Moore to take a more attacking position. Scharenberg also needs to take the 2nd best forward.

Playing at the MCG will help I think.

There is no doubt teams are dragging him away from the contest. So it's up to him and the coaching group now to see how they deal with that.

It's something Jeremy McGovern would cop every week. McGovern however seems to dictate his position and doesn't get drawn out by his opponent. It's a risk because it means you can spot up his opponent on the lead.

However, the Eagles rely on strong pressure down the ground to force long bombs inside 50, which allows McGovern to peel off.

I think the biggest problem for Darcy the last 2 weeks has been the lack of pressure up the field. Both the Doggies and Kangaroos were able to waltz out of our attacking 50 with no pressure and cut through our midfield.

So in summary, the midfield and forward line need to put more pressure on to allow Darcy Moore to take a more attacking position. Scharenberg also needs to take the 2nd best forward.

100% spot on mate. Great post.

It’s going to be particularly tough while our best intercept defenders in Howe and Langdon are both out. Hopefully Scharenberg can provide support if they go to great lengths to kick it away from Moore.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hang on, Dunn, Reid, Murray, Wells - key positions and/or speedthat we’re missing.

Criminal? I think not.

So relying on perennially injured based off history Reid/Wells and having Dunn and Wells wrong side of 32... (higher chance of body breaking down) and an unproven rookie is covering your bases? For kpp and pace?
Its a gamble at best.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Your last sentence is crucial.

Our game plan relies so heavily on the switch off half back.

This is so much harder to doon smaller grounds, even with all your better uses available, because the opposition players don't have to run as far to take up the correct positions to clog up the ground.

The result is slow, stagnant, stuttering football, or a shift to corridor football mid game, which is either long kicks and risky, or short careful kicks which is safer, but slow and lets the opponent set itself.

I think we'll see an improvement this week.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
At least we now have five players officially off the injury list this week (Elliott, Aish, Sier, Wills, Quaynor).
Yep, trimmed the unavailable to this now:

Adams Greenwood Langdon Stephenson Howe Beams Wells Reid Dunn Murphy Kelly Murray

oh err yeah well you know

Back