Geelong declares desire to host home final against interstate club

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re on the same page there.

We ‘hosted’ Richmond in the 2017 QF after finishing 2nd, at their home ground, and lost. After beating them at KP a mere five weeks earlier.

It’s a corrupt competition and the MCG tenants always win. Geelong is seen as as advantaged because we have a home ground and we are very hard to beat there - but we aren’t advantaged when we bust our arses to earn a home final against Coll/Haw/Rich and play it at their home ground. Likewise you in 2015 and Adelaide in 2017 playing the GF at your opposition’s ground despite qualifying higher than them.

As for Cook’s comments, he’s just picking his battles. IMO us hosting you guys or Adelaide at a KP final is a pipe dream but he’s throwing it out there. GWS is the only team I could realistically see the AFL allowing us to host in a true home final given their tiny supporter base.

I took the piss out of bitchmond supporters mercilessly - you guys would have pantsed them at kp

I took the piss out of Premiershipmond supporters mercilessly - you guys would have pantsed them at kp

Sadly I agree.

I’m already worried about us finishing 1st and Collingwood 4th this year and the same thing happening again.

We’re on the same page there.

We ‘hosted’ Richmond in the 2017 QF after finishing 2nd, at their home ground, and lost. After beating them at KP a mere five weeks earlier.

It’s a corrupt competition and the MCG tenants always win. Geelong is seen as as advantaged because we have a home ground and we are very hard to beat there - but we aren’t advantaged when we bust our arses to earn a home final against Coll/Haw/Rich and play it at their home ground. Likewise you in 2015 and Adelaide in 2017 playing the GF at your opposition’s ground despite qualifying higher than them.

As for Cook’s comments, he’s just picking his battles. IMO us hosting you guys or Adelaide at a KP final is a pipe dream but he’s throwing it out there. GWS is the only team I could realistically see the AFL allowing us to host in a true home final given their tiny supporter base.
There was even a hoo-hah about Richmond having to travel to play you guys in Geelong for that H&A game. I.e. some thought it should be shifted to the G.
It’s these sorts of things that us non-Vic supporters notice a lot of, being outside the Melbourne bubble.

I see this a (small) sign of weakness that they are still scared of the MCG. They beat the pies there in round 1, but pies should have had that game sewn up by half time but fr errant kicking.

I praise the Barnett government every day that they decided to build a bigger ground with similar likeness to the MCG. It single-handedly prepared us for the MCG. And with this in mind, I have no issue with letting the cats play all their finals there.

It is always nice to see a problem and want to be excluded from impact. Yeh, let's make it for if GWS face Geelong!

The AFL have 3 reasons for moving it from Geelong.
1. The long term agreement with the MCC means that they are obliged to have the final at the MCG if that is the only Victorian based final that week. (This was the case and I am assuming it remained in the most recent agreements)
2. The AFL members have paid for access to the games and will want the right to attend. The capacity at Corio Bay is pretty small so not ideal meaning Geelong can fill it themselves and the AFL will cop flack from their members.
3. In the finals, the AFL get the gate takings not the clubs. Therefore there will be an additional 40,000 paying people meaning the financial implications are getting into the $1 to 2 million range and we know how generous the AFL are in financial term!.

I cannot see why the AFL sign these long term exclusive deals with the MCC. The MCG would be a 40,000 facility if it were not for football. I am not seeing a long queue of other alternatives for the MCC so there is no drama in saying that once so many years it will not be for the benefit of the MCC members.

If Geelong win the right by virtue of finishing on top, they deserve to host it at Geelong. Simple. From an integrity perspective, the AFL need to be clear on this and not make up rules on the run.

Thankfully, the return of NicNat and Barrass is going to mean we finish second and so the issue is hopefully for another interstate club.

8 point game v Collingwood is looming after the Derby.. So we need to get that 2 nd spot and space between us and Collingwood ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pies have Giants after us too (and we’re going to Alice Springs) so a big 3 weeks coming up. Hopefully Hawks can do us a favour on Friday night. Win our next 3 and lock us in for top 2 I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly have no issue with this - it’s their home ground.

Should be played there no matter the opponent.

And lock out 50,000 fans if its v Collingwood?

Cats play home games at the MCG.

If they play an interstate team at the MCG they actually hold more home ground advantage than playing a Melbourne team.

But they only want to play a home final at Geelong against an interstae opponent. This on its own is unfair.

One rule. Either they play any opponent in Geelong or they play all finals at the world class stadium an hour up the road.

Can’t even see a good reason for keeping Kardinia Park as a ground. Get rid of it like they did with the other suburban grounds. Do the same with Gold Coast and GWS grounds.

Then play all finals at the home ground of the higher ranked team. Not gonna happen, I know.

Exactly, discriminating on the basis of the opposition's location is ridiculous. A mid-year decision on the run like this would compromise the competition and it's absolutely something the AFL would do.

I thought it was unfair when Freo had to travel to Geelong and this would be too.

For mine, Geelong already has enormous structural advantages built into their draw, courtesy of their location. They can cop this one.

You allow for the greatest number of people possible to attend the game.
Isn't it supposed to only be in the STATE of the highest ranked team, and not necessarily home ground, which means the MCG having the largest capacity would make sense. That's my understanding anyway. Eg if it was the Bulldogs (whose home ground is at Docklands) and not Geelong would think the game would be still played at MCG as a first preference and Docklands second depending upon what other games are being played on the same day??

I reckon a WCE final in Melbourne would get bare minimum 10k WCE fans at the game. We have a huge number of expats and a large number fans that love to travel for a game.

I have a group of friends who travel every time for every away match during the H & A, nevermind the Finals! So yes IMO I'm sure there would be a fairly large turnout of WCE supporters if we had to play a final away. And there's always those who like to go to a Final even if their team is not playing as like to see a good game of football.

Titus O'Reily's take on it.

The debate over them wanting to play finals at home is fairly silly, capacity debates are fun and all, but surely playing finals at home is not a revolutionary idea?
I mean, it’s not like they’re asking the AFL to lock the Grand Final into their home ground for the next forty years because that would be unfair.

I reckon a WCE final in Melbourne would get bare minimum 10k WCE fans at the game. We have a huge number of expats and a large number fans that love to travel for a game.

Easily 10k. I travel to Melbourne once a year to watch an Eagles game. Always lots of fly in Eagkrs fans and there is a stack who live there. Plus those smart Vic kids like Oscar Judd who just know a good team to support when they see one.

Who was it again at the Brownlow night 15 years ago Hird and some other well inown Vic star and their sons. They asked the young boys who their favourite player was, Hirds son said Juddy and the other boy said Quinten Lynch. Solid gold.:thumbsu::cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back