Analysis Did Round 15 results change the way you feel about your teams 2019 season?

n1ck

Debutant
Oct 23, 2007
Bentleigh East
AFL Club
St Kilda
There were a heap of unexpected results in Round 15 with the Kangas beating Collingwood, Bulldogs smashing Port and obviuosly Carlton's win over in the west.

Stats Insider just released an article saying that the upsets of the weekend wreaked havoc on futures projections, except for really Geelong, Carlton and Gold Coast.

All other teams' projections increased or decreased dramatically from certain vantage points, whether its making finals, top 4 or what not.

Here's the article:

Nah. I know the Dogs can compete with top eight sides. Few unlucky losses there.

We signed our own fate by losing to GC, Carlton and a lesser extend North.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Nope. Still on track for a Top 4 finish. Just a matter of where we end up in the 4.

If West Coast can stay relatively injury-free then they'll romp into another Grand Final.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I was disheartened a bit but at the end of the day, we're still in finals contention so I can't be too fussed about it. Was it s**t to lose to Carlton? Yeah it was, but that's footy for you, you don't turn up on the day you're gonna pay for it. You dust yourself off and move on to next week. Do I still think we'll make finals? Yeah I do

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I was disheartened a bit but at the end of the day, we're still in finals contention so I can't be too fussed about it. Was it s**t to lose to Carlton? Yeah it was, but that's footy for you, you don't turn up on the day you're gonna pay for it. You dust yourself off and move on to next week. Do I still think we'll make finals? Yeah I do
Most clubs have had a slip up like that this season. We lost to the pricks first haha.

I honestly didn't learn a whole lot though. We're a tease in 2019. We pushed Geelong in Geelong for 3 quarters, pushed Collingwood twice, pushed Fremantle in Perth, beat Brisbane and Dominated Richmond, played reasonably well against West Coast for a half, had a scintillating 9 goal final quarter against Hawthorn in round 2 but at the same time got dominated by Carlton the first time and choked TWO 5 goal leads the second time, got smashed by North and lost to the Gold Coast..

Literally every one of our games has had an element of unpredictability about it and I didn't predict us beating Port in the wet lel.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t think Round 15 changed much; if anything it just emphasised the issues that certain clubs face. Collingwood winning has been papering over the cracks and flaws and that got exposed. Geelongs Achilles Heel is the ruck. GWS struggle with expectation and being away. Eagles are doing enough to win without going crazy.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Combination of Freo losing and Ess winning has given me the slightest bit of hope we can make finals....not that we won't get smashed in them. But making them would be nice. Esp if it means we don't knee jerk react on Woosha and give it considered thought instead.

A couple of critical games coming up though (Swans as a barometer test, Freo and Port are 8pt games).

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It may sound strange but despite my team not being involved in one of the upsets, our game has changed my perspective somewhat.

As everyone knows, Hawthorn have been very poor this season.

Our game style has been about careful possession retention, avoiding contests and avoiding kicking long as we were fearful of turnovers and the extra man in defence picking us off time and time again as used to happen.

This meant slow ball movement and indecision, meaning that once the ball got to the forward line the entire opposition were there making scoring nearly impossible.

On the weekend, however, we decided at half time to go direct and as quick as possible and after being dominated in the first half, we became the dominant team in the second half. Unfortunately, kicking for goal was terrible so we still lost but more important was the change in game style.

Hopefully it wasn't just because it was torrential rain the whole time (or no McGovern) as I think we may fare better generally with faster and sometimes riskier ball movement.

Clarko has introduced mid season game plan adjustments twice before - once in 2010 (using subs and the bench completely differently) when we were 1-6 and coming off a 9 win season and went on to make finals before prelim, runners up and then 3 flags.

and once in 2017 when we started 4-8, copping some absolute beltings in the easiest part of the draw (GC beat us by 86, StK by 75, etc) and finished the season 6-3-1 playing mostly top teams, before going on to finish top 4 the next season.

I live in the (probably misguided) hope that another game plan adjustment on the weekend may see us competitive again and return strong next year.

Back