Preview Round 16 – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Sunday 7th July, Sydney Showground Stadium, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
One of the managers where I work is a Bombers supporter, and he asked me if I wanted to have a little wager with him on the outcome of Thursday’s game. I declined - on instinct.

Sadly, my instinct was proved correct. Afterwards, he said I’d been shrewd - and I reminded him that was the reason he’d hired me in the first place.;)

You can complain about the quality of the umpiring all you like (and when it comes to how we’ve been treated this season, the evidence suggests there’s probably more to it than just “the rub of the green”), but having been 19 points up in the last quarter, and then losing, there’s really no excuse for that. Not after the way we flogged them in Round 1.

The reason we lost was that they were hungrier than us, they wanted it more. Just like we did, when we visited the Cattery in Round 4. Remember? We wanted to atone for a previous humiliation.

We seem to have a faulty “on/off” switch. Forget the sports psychologists, we need to hire an electrician.:rolleyes: And it would be a good idea to find one real quick, because if we're serious about being genuine contenders, there aren’t any more games we can let slip.

Next Sunday is now a definition “danger game”. Up-and-coming Brisbane have been a more convincing proposition all year compared to Essendon, especially since enjoying their first win against the Demons at the MCG in seven years. They’ll be pumped, because they’re in line for their first finals appearance in a decade, and would love to add our scalp on the way, as they’ve never beat us at Homebush.

Looking at the injury list, the only possible returns this week would be either Corr or Caldwell. Whitfield isn’t due back until we face the Tigers at the MCG, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we went into next Sunday with an unchanged line up.

Come ON Giants. Do you want the advantage of the double chance? Five of our last eight are at home, and if we win all five, we'll make it, so PLEASE make sure you bring the right attitude on Sunday against the Lions.

Get the four points!:fist:

Hoping Whitfield is right for this game and he will be needed against a Lions side firing on all cylinders and not sure how tough the game was for them v the Demons with only 36 tackles laid by them
At least with the sunday game the team will have a chance to shake off any bruises from thursdays game and it will give an opportunity for Whitfield to be right for the game
Another game to prove if the team is top 4 material or will just make up the numbers in the 8
Hoping for some news on Patton this week as it has been a year since he suffered his latest ACL although I am not holding out much hope of him being able to impact in AFL this season as he would need 6-8 weeks of solid game time to show form for finals and with the way the forwards are going he would need to really kick a lot of goals to force on of them out

26 to be named for the Sunday game on Thursday

Shaw Davis Reid
Williams Taylor Haynes
Kelly Taranto Whitfield
Greene Cameron Langdon
Daniels HH TOJ
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio Kennedy Perryman/Hately/Lloyd/Simpson/Shipley

I think Hately goes out for Whitfield and he has been solid in his games but he is just unlucky the other 3 will just cover the bases as emergencies although it could be a toss up between the 3 rucks for this one depending on how Mumfords body is but as above with the 9 day break between games he has time to freshen up

Huge game and a massive danger, with Lions up and about.

Mummy was horrible. Shot. It was ok when he gave away the odd free before as he was mobile and strong. Now he gives away frees and can barely move.
If he wasn't right after having the bye a further 9 days wont help.

Time to give Flynn or Briggs a go or bring back Simpson.

Hopefully Whitfield is back to with Hately going out.

A Sunday twilight again (* AFL scheduling) so another sub 10k crowd is coming so prepare yourselves for the comments.

We play at our best and we win by 30.

Anything less and we lose. Badly.

Huge game and a massive danger, with Lions up and about.

Mummy was horrible. Shot. It was ok when he gave away the odd free before as he was mobile and strong. Now he gives away frees and can barely move.
If he wasn't right after having the bye a further 9 days wont help.

Time to give Flynn or Briggs a go or bring back Simpson.

Hopefully Whitfield is back to with Hately going out.

A Sunday twilight again (**** AFL scheduling) so another sub 10k crowd is coming so prepare yourselves for the comments.

We play at our best and we win by 30.

Anything less and we lose. Badly.
I agree mummy was down

But I just don’t see the other three as viable options at afl level. Lions will double team us so I think mummy stays

I think Whitfield plays because it seems he was almost good for last week (although who can ever believe what comes out of clubs) and because it is such an important game.

This will be our best performance of the year so far. Our young midfield will have a few games this year where their lack of experience will be exposed... just like last week. They will be keen to atone.

Dont worry about us double teaming your ruck this weekend. Looks like Big O will miss with concussion. Cant see us making too many changes.

Whitfield in will be big for the giants.

Last quarter fade outs are developing a pattern. The games against Freo, Crows, Melbourne, Essendon all featured a tailing away of intensity last quarter. The group needs an injection of energy, Lachie coming in might do it, a rookie debut sometimes does, maybe Matty Flynn will have his moment.
It's not that they did a lot wrong last Thursday, so additional motivation (from somewhere) is necessary to beat a flying Lions outfit.

Brisbane are a much better team than Essendon.

My fear here is that this is almost their grand final to date.

They are so close to sewing up a finals berth. Beat us on our deck and then suddenly the players, club and supporters will all believe they could actually do damage in the finals.

A win for them is huge and they will be hungry.

Unfortunately a lot hungrier than I have seen the giants at all this season.

My heart says giants by 5, but my head says Brisbane by 15

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, that was last week. Ask the Melbourne fans. :D

Apparently the Lions beating the Demons in the preseason was "because it was the Lions' GF", which is currently especially delicious.

Brisbane are a much better team than Essendon.

They are so close to sewing up a finals berth. Beat us on our deck and then suddenly the players, club and supporters will all believe they could actually do damage in the finals.

A win for them is huge and they will be hungry.

Unfortunately a lot hungrier than I have seen the giants at all this season.

My heart says giants by 5, but my head says Brisbane by 15

100% this is the biggest game of our season. We win we sit 4th spot clear 1 game from 5th. Huge game for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think GF is an unfair name for it really.

Brisbane have earnt everything they have achieved this year.

As you said, with only a handful of games to go, to go from predicted bottom 4, to sitting a game clear in the top 4 is an unthinkable achievement
100% this is the biggest game of our season. We win we sit 4th spot clear 1 game from 5th. Huge game for us.

Will be an interesting midfield battle. I think the guys of our midfield group is still quite young and therefore a little up and down. When it mattered last week in the 4th we got smashed I. The clearances. Lions are an exceptional clearance team. They belted the dees in this category last week

We seem to win games we win the midfield battle- the fact it is a strength for them is important

Giants in a canter this week on the home deck. Lions due for a flat one.

Whitfield will be a huge in. Not sure who misses. Perryman?
Hatelys minutes were low I believe, would be surprised if it wasn't him who made way for Whitfield.

Hey GWS fans, the biggest question about this game is, “who is claiming underdog status?”

Also, could you please give us Luke Power back? I think you’ve had him for long enough. 😉

Hey GWS fans, the biggest question about this game is, “who is claiming underdog status?”

Also, could you please give us Luke Power back? I think you’ve had him for long enough.
You're on a streak, we are not. But it is our patch of dirt so would say there is no underdog in this one.

You're on a streak, we are not. But it is our patch of dirt so would say there is no underdog in this one.
I actually think this is the most evenly matched contest on paper that you could get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back