Traded #13: Orazio Fantasia - Off to Carlton as a delisted free agent, scored a 2 year deal?

Would you take Razzle Dazzle back at the Hangar?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure middle aged dude is in the same category as an 18 year old girl, but if there's a chance it'll convince him to stay I suppose we could try it. Maybe we could make a collage for the club banner on the weekend so he could see just dedicated we are as fans and how much we want him to stay. ;)

We could self identify, could we not?

Last edited:
The way McGowan spruiks his own work doesn't really put a time frame on it, nor does it come off as clickbaity as when the AFL.com.au editors get a handle on it. Could have swapped the "but" for an "and" and the answer would have been "so?"

edit: and looking at the embed brings up the byline, presumably written by the editor "before he becomes a free agent in 2020" is false. In the actual article McGowan says 2021, which is accurate.

I dont want to seem like I'm in denial but has anyone read McGowan's tweet?

It's fake news 101.

It says Fantasia has told EFC he wants to go home "at some stage" during his career.

This is old news and it reads like it's the first McGowan has heard of it.

So what a so-called journalist then goes and does is speak to his "inside source" who tells him of the Bassett connection.

Dodoro said in the post draft interview that Bassett's input was very influential back in 2013. That's very old news.

If he's trying he then goes and asks Port if they have an interest in Fantasia. The answer is "Of course! We keep tabs on him."

He doesn't even need to have contacted Port to run with the tweet.

Beware fake news.

Last edited:
It says Fantasia has told EFC he wants to go home at some stage during his career.
Yeah it's speculation and rehashing old news. Happens with regularity, except this time it went viral because of the way the AFL promoted it. e.g. there was a push notification from the AFL app "DON'S TRADE WISH" or whatever.

It's the part quoted above (which is likely to be the seed of truth in the whole thing), combined with the number of players who have denied leaving and then left the same year, that will keep the thing going until he re-signs again.

Said this elsewhere and will say it here because my opinion hasn't changed from thread to thread...

The seed was planted today about him leaving. Good job by those behind the scenes that wanted that to happen. Players managers and clubs always play the dumb card in these situations but there is almost always some agenda behind it.

If he isn’t gone at the end of this year… it will almost certainly be the end of next year. We now have 3 months or 15 months to process that rather than the shock/horror/potential backlash of a completely unexpected October ‘FANTASIA WANTS TRADE FROM THE BOMBERS’ headline.

If he wants to go? See ya. As long as we get adequately compensated.

Said this elsewhere and will say it here because my opinion hasn't changed from thread to thread...

The seed was planted today about him leaving. Good job by those behind the scenes that wanted that to happen. Players managers and clubs always play the dumb card in these situations but there is almost always some agenda behind it.

If he isn’t gone at the end of this year… it will almost certainly be the end of next year. We now have 3 months or 15 months to process that rather than the shock/horror/potential backlash of a completely unexpected October ‘FANTASIA WANTS TRADE FROM THE BOMBERS’ headline.

If he wants to go? See ya. As long as we get adequately compensated.

I though same at first, but maybe we’re just giving journo too much credit.

I though same at first, but maybe we’re just giving journo too much credit.

If this was the 'Inside Football' whispers section or some gutter rag with club speculation (some might even say the 'Herald Sun') ... I would be extremely skeptical.

The fact this is the league's own website (operated, run, updated and maintained at HQ) running with the news means there is a lot more to this than we know about and probably will ever be privy to. Whether the journalist behind it is a dickhead or not is irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this was the 'Inside Football' whispers section or some gutter rag with club speculation (some might even say the 'Herald Sun') ... I would be extremely skeptical.

The fact this is the league's own website (operated, run, updated and maintained at HQ) running with the news means there is a lot more to this than we know about and probably will ever be privy to. Whether the journalist behind it is a dickhead or not is irrelevant.

Not saying he’s a dickhead. Doesn’t matter any way, it’s 2 and half years away. Would be surprised if we traded away in October. So much can happen in a career/life in 2 years.

Not saying he’s a dickhead. Doesn’t matter any way, it’s 2 and half years away. Would be surprised if we traded away in October. So much can happen in a career/life in 2 years.

You weren't saying he was a dickhead but I am. I think most who work at the official AFL media department are... but generally they get the green light from higher authorities to go ahead and publish articles like the Fantasia one because there is an agenda to do so.

Pretty sure AFL.com.au has a separation of interests with what HQ want. The views expressed are that of the author, etc. I never have much faith in editors, they're the ones with the clicks KPIs to hit. The journalists themselves are hit and miss. McGowan is usually okay though, so not really sure what happened here.

I don't think any of McGowan's articles have drawn as much attention as this before. Perhaps didn't realise just how much it would blow up, when you're not talking about an interstate player, a stats podcast or a coach's weekly press conference. Or perhaps someone told him if you want to make it big, pick a bigger name and do a Purple. I dunno.

Transferring between universities is a fallacy. You apply as a first year at the new one and if you get in (no guarantees) then you hope like hell they credit the units you've already completed (no guarantee). Otherwise you have to pay to complete the units at the new university, and it makes your whole course take longer while you complete them. It also depends what year she's in, as you need to complete at least half the course at that university in order to graduate with their degree (education degrees are 4 years).

So basically, no. And also why would she want to? Maybe their friends and family are all back in SA, maybe she owns a house there, maybe she doesn't know anyone except Raz in Melbourne. Maybe they see their long term future in South Australia. Maybe she comes to Melbourne during term breaks and studies online, so doesn't need to officially move.

We actually don't know, it's not our business and it's completely up to them what they choose to do with their lives.

What? I've switched unis twice (including from a Melbourne based uni to one in Adelaide) and it wasn't an issue, the courses are similar enough that the credits match up.

I get that moving might be hard for family reasons but I can't see how the university would be much of a factor.

What? I've switched unis twice (including from a Melbourne based uni to one in Adelaide) and it wasn't an issue, the courses are similar enough that the credits match up.

I get that moving might be hard for family reasons but I can't see how the university would be much of a factor.
It depends on the similarity. I've been through it too, I got 50% the first time and went back and asked again a couple more times, eventually got to 75% credit for studies completed. That's with one year of study done before trying to move unis. I'd tell you more about it but not here. It's definitely not as straight forward as it ought to be though. I expect the changes they've made to courses and entry/graduation requirements in different states would increase the complexity too, rather than reduce it.

Pretty sure AFL.com.au has a separation of interests with what HQ want. The views expressed are that of the author, etc. I never have much faith in editors, they're the ones with the clicks KPIs to hit. The journalists themselves are hit and miss. McGowan is usually okay though, so not really sure what happened here.

I don't think any of McGowan's articles have drawn as much attention as this before. Perhaps didn't realise just how much it would blow up, when you're not talking about an interstate player, a stats podcast or a coach's weekly press conference. Or perhaps someone told him if you want to make it big, pick a bigger name and do a Purple. I dunno.

I heard last week that Nat Edwards (one of afl.com.au's senior journalists) was called into HQ to explain herself after posting tweets at the Essendon vs Hawthorn critical of security.

The AFL like to promote afl.com.au as this seperate organisation where they are free to publish what they want... I think the reality is closer to something in the Soviet Union during the 1980s.

I heard last week that Nat Edwards (one of afl.com.au's senior journalists) was called into HQ to explain herself after posting tweets at the Essendon vs Hawthorn critical of security.

The AFL like to promote afl.com.au as this seperate organisation where they are free to publish what they want... I think the reality is closer to something in the Soviet Union during the 1980s.
Probably because security at the grounds has been a bug up their x for a few weeks now and it's bringing the game into disrepute or something. I don't think they'd be too worried about trade speculation though.

Marc McGowan was on SEN acting completely shocked and outraged at how people had jumped to the wrong conclusion from his article.

As if it wasn't purposefully written to lead people to that wrong conclusion for maximum clicks/shares etc.

Yeah but Damien Barrett’s their head writer. AFL.com can’t claim too much credibility on that fact alone.

Also, the organisation the website is for is really ******* grubby.

that doesn’t count- of course they are going to take you in that direction!

Back