Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kelly wants to go there. Geelong don't get to choose

I wonder who really is driving the trade narrative here about Tim Kelly.

On VFL360 Whately was saying that Kelly is worth two 1sts and that if an agreement cannot be reached between the Eagles and the Cats, that if Kelly goes to the preseason draft he will be swooped up by either the Roos or Saints who have a lot of room in their salary cap.

This sounds rather a familiar story with me, where the AFC was unfairly cast as the villains by the Victorian media in not letting Danger basically walk to the Cats for nothing. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the Cats basically an a-hole of a club want to hold a player by gunpoint who is obviously genuinely wanting to come home for personal reasons.

I like how the Cats are conveniently trying to find "solutions" for Kelly to stay like offering a lucrative one year contract, yet if the Crows did that with Paddy it would have been viewed as holding the player as hostage.

Genuinely hope the Eagles get him and especially for not much at all, karma is a bitch.

On VFL360 Whately was saying that Kelly is worth two 1sts and that if an agreement cannot be reached between the Eagles and the Cats, that if Kelly goes to the preseason draft he will be swooped up by either the Roos or Saints who have a lot of room in their salary cap.

This sounds rather a familiar story with me, where the AFC was unfairly cast as the villains by the Victorian media in not letting Danger basically walk to the Cats for nothing. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the Cats basically an a-hole of a club want to hold a player by gunpoint who is obviously genuinely wanting to come home for personal reasons.

I like how the Cats are conveniently trying to find "solutions" for Kelly to stay like offering a lucrative one year contract, yet if the Crows did that with Paddy it would have been viewed as holding the player as hostage.

Genuinely hope the Eagles get him and especially for not much at all, karma is a bitch.
robert-downey-jr-eye-roll.gif

Still salty from the weekend?

Mate Paddy gave the crows for 7 years of service and left nearly 4 years ago. It might be time to move on

I believe I was the other poster you referred to and what I said

"All West Coast needed was to pull the trigger and hand over picks 20, 22 and their 2019 second-rounder in exchange for Kelly and the Cats’ 2019 third-rounder. " I quoted this from the article in the Herald Sun I linked, so it's not what I said it's what an article stated.

Then I said.

"Of course we didn't want to let him go but at the same time the club has always shown they are willing to put the players interests first (Christensen), I don't doubt they had the intentions of getting the trade done if WC would come to the party but they wouldn't. I will add that I think the whole wanting to go home but not Freo didn't help TK's predicament and probably meant the club wasn't as soft as they would usually be in these situations. "

This sounds nothing like what you have poorly paraphrased. There is no need to be disingenuous about it

The reference towards posters claiming the Eagles had made a terrible mistake was not at you but other disingenuous posters.

The Geelong fans on bigfooty are only OK with good faith if they are the destination

The Geelong fans on bigfooty are only OK with good faith if they are the destination

I just find the blatant hypocrisy palpable to say the least.

What Kelly does this year is irreelvant, he should have been traded last year. Family is privately suffering.

Kelly does his best work inside, he's arguably the best contested ball winner in the competition. He averages just 0.5 contested possessions less than a beast like Dangerfield, yet beats him 6.7 to 5.2 in clearances. TK is a ball winner first and foremost, definitely not an outside runner.

It’s his ridiculously smooth moves that give people the impression he’s just some outside runner type. Far from the truth. Dude is a freakshow.

If he's going home for genuine personal reasons then he will consider both clubs in WA. Last time i checked there was only one club where Mardi wanted to go to...there's two clubs where Caitlin wants to go. I dont much care where he goes but spare me the logic fail about family reasons yet refusing to talk to Freo. If Kelly has a halfway competent manager i think youll see that change this year.

If he's going home for genuine personal reasons then he will consider both clubs in WA. Last time i checked there was only one club where Mardi wanted to go to...there's two clubs where Caitlin wants to go. I dont much care where he goes but spare me the logic fail about family reasons yet refusing to talk to Freo. If Kelly has a halfway competent manager i think youll see that change this year.

As a WCE fan I can understand not wanting to associate with the Dockers.

Being a part of the Purples is bad on both on a professional and personal level.

As a WCE fan I can understand not wanting to associate with the Dockers.

Being a part of the Purples is bad on both on a professional and personal level.

Whats the geographical distance between where iKelly would be based if playing for the Eagles compared to Freo?

Ok if a player needs to go home to Melbourne for family reasons would you feel the same way if they refused to consider Saint Kilda versus Collingwood or Richmond?

Two clubs are power clubs, big crowds and have a list that can contend and are well organised. These clubs can offer the best chance of you having a successful on field and off field career.

The other club seems to be constantly rebuilding and has history of instability at board level and a much lower chance of delivering on field and off field success for the player.

If you were the player who would you want to work for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually it means everything.

It really doesnt help you Kelly's argument which Club he goes too then. Fremantle should be a viable option.

It a very minor factor though. The clubs are the same travelling distance so its a non factor.

The factors that matter IMO between the two WA clubs would be:

1. Money and term of contract
2. Coach and playing group
3. Leadership group
4. Likelihood of onfield success
5. Facilities and medical staff
6. Stability of club
7. Opportunities post retirement
8. Personal preference

Freo obviously is a viable option because they are in Perth. But which club is the preferred option? Kelly will want the best for him and his family, not what is best for Geelong. As long as what the club offers to trade is reasonable why wouldn't he choose his preference?

I can just see the Eagles trading something very close if not slightly more than the Dangerfield trade value which is fair.

Last edited:

Was thinking this last night.

It's the Danger deal but in reverse.
Will be interesting to see if the Cats are as magnanimous as the Crows were in getting the player home to where he'll be happy.

On the flip side of that argument, they did get screwed over with Ablett going to GCS.

If the cats with the flag, Kelly wins a raft of awards and is a reigning brownlow medallist (all very possible), his value is 2x 1sts.
Esp given his age.

But the value and what you get don't always correlate.
If he picks the Eagles, Cats may just end up taking a late 1st and some change for him. Walking him to the draft would be a dick move and i don't see clubs doing it.

Whats the geographical distance between where iKelly would be based if playing for the Eagles compared to Freo?

Okay here is a quick little exercise to help you understand.

Imagine if the Crows were twice as rich and twice as successful as they are right now. Feels good doesn't it? That's West Coast.

Now imagine if Port were half as successful and twice as feral as they are right now. Scary thought isn't it? That's Freo.

Now with that in mind Tim Kelly wanting to play for West Coast and not Freo makes perfect sense on both a personal and professional level does it not?

Last edited:
I think Tim Kelly has more than paid back Geelong with his 2 years of service.

Or do you think he still owes the club?
Doesn't owe the club anything and has done his contracted time. Couldn't have asked him for more. Regardless of jumper I'll always be a fan.

I just find the blatant hypocrisy palpable to say the least.

What Kelly does this year is irreelvant, he should have been traded last year. Family is privately suffering.
If he had said "trade me to any Perth club" he'd be home. He didn't say that, he said trade me to the premiership side but not the bottom 4 one.

If he had said "trade me to any Perth club" he'd be home. He didn't say that, he said trade me to the premiership side but not the bottom 4 one.

Obviously needs to get home but not if it means working for an employer he didnt rate.

The deal almost happened ofter nominating a club. That is how most trades work.

Okay here is a quick little exercise to help you understand.

Imagine if the Crows were twice as rich and twice as successful as they are right now. Feels good doesn't it? That's West Coast.

Now imagine if Port were half as successful and twice as feral as they are right now. Scary thought isn't it? That's Freo.

Now with that in mind Tim Kelly wanting to play for West Coast and not Freo makes perfect sense on both a personal and professional level does it not?

Mate, you’re wasting your time.

You can’t base a request to leave on compassionate “I want to go home” reasons, then turn around and say “oh, but not that home...”

It just doesn’t cut the mustard, and that’s the exact reason Geelong rightfully held firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back