Toast Toast Rowan Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the Saints have finally struck a very good one here.

It makes me wonder about all the talk about throwing coin at ruck trades (Goldstein, Draper)

It makes me wonder about all the talk about throwing coin at ruck trades (Goldstein, Draper)
At present Marshall is the only AFL standard ruckman on our list IMO.
Longer and Pierce have proven they are not up to it and Alabakis is a project player with a basketball background.
The recruitment of another ruckman (preferably one who can play forward.) Would not only provide cover if Marshall was to get injured, but if they could fit into our 22 would provide the flexibility to send Marshall forward when required without sending Bruce or Acres into the Ruck.

Although it wouldn’t surprise me if the Saints started playing Marshall at half back flank, we really do need a replacement just in case of injury. Our run with injuries this year hasn’t discriminated and it would be difficult to replace him.
Having a back up ruck isn’t a bad thing.

Although it wouldn’t surprise me if the Saints started playing Marshall at half back flank
j60tpi.jpg

I saw Marshall play with Sandy early last year and my immediate thought was how is this guy not in our best 22.

I think Marshall is our best "find" since Jack Steven in 2008. He has the potential to be a 10 year answer to our ruck and if he continues on his current trajectory he could be every bit as good as Grundy - and that is someone you can build a team around.

I saw Marshall play with Sandy early last year and my immediate thought was how is this guy not in our best 22.

I think Marshall is our best "find" since Jack Steven in 2008. He has the potential to be a 10 year answer to our ruck and if he continues on his current trajectory he could be every bit as good as Grundy - and that is someone you can build a team around.
Thought exactly the same thing. Just shows how clueless the football department is. He was better than mcartin as well. But you know poor paddy and all that. Billy was strong in contest so the bozo kept picking him.

He's yet another gun ruck found on the rookie list. Over and over again we see talls taken early in the draft fail while slower developers are plucked from state leagues in their early twenties or taken late in the draft at low cost and turn into quality AFL players. Yet we have probably invested more resources in young rucks than any other club in recent memory.

The top rucks of the competition right now

Gawn - Pick 34
Grundy - Pick 18
Goldstein - Pick 37
Marshall - Rookie Draft
Witts - Pick 67
Martin - Pre Season Draft
O'Brien - Rookie Draft
Lycett - Pick 29
Mumford - Rookie Draft
Kruezer - Pick 1
Bellchambers - Pre Season Draft
McEvoy - Pick 9
Darcy - Pick 38
Sinclair - Rookie draft'
Nankervis - Pick 35

I'm very glad that we finally looked for a coordinated, athletic young prospect in the state leagues. I'm not forgetting about how much we have spent on the likes of McEvoy, Hickey, Stanley and Longer for almost zero return though. With that said, all of the three rucks we traded away would comfortably be in our best 22 right now.

Marshall is a absolute ripper , however I feel the guy needs a bit more help at times , he can't do it all , we need to have another player who can play in the forward line and also can compete in the ruck , is that Draper ? or do we get a Bilcavs or risk King pinch hitting in the ruck.

But Marshall has been huge for us in the ruck and he only needs help and Bruce doesn't cut it as a ruckman.

Goldstein is a very good ruckman , but is doing his best to extend his career - he knows a good showing this year could get him some easy money in the future and whoever signs him will be getting a burnt out ruckman .

Marshall is a absolute ripper , however I feel the guy needs a bit more help at times , he can't do it all , we need to have another player who can play in the forward line and also can compete in the ruck , is that Draper ? or do we get a Bilcavs or risk King pinch hitting in the ruck.

But Marshall has been huge for us in the ruck and he only needs help and Bruce doesn't cut it as a ruckman.

Goldstein is a very good ruckman , but is doing his best to extend his career - he knows a good showing this year could get him some easy money in the future and whoever signs him will be getting a burnt out ruckman .
It’s kinda like we need a ruckman like Hickey....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Marshall is able to improve his tap work over the next year or two he will be in serious contention as the AA starting ruckman.

Hickey was tried in the forward line and was no good.

He'd be playing for Sandringham if he were still on our list.
Well the club apparently want Marshall playing majority forward, strange when he's killing it in the ruck. And yeh Hickey was no good forward, but at least if we kept him it would've stopped Bruce and more importantly Acres having to go into the ruck.

Well the club apparently want Marshall playing majority forward, strange when he's killing it in the ruck. And yeh Hickey was no good forward, but at least if we kept him it would've stopped Bruce and more importantly Acres having to go into the ruck.
I've been saying from the start we'd be stupid to move Marshall forward.

And I don't agree it's a good idea to play a ruck who's ordinary forward such as Hickey, just so he can give a bit of relief in the ruck when Marshall needs a spell. I'd prefer Acres to be honest.

After taking Jack Mayo mid year, i kind of suspect.
a) They don't want Marshall or Battle to play forward.
b) They are after forward's as a priority over ruck/forwards.
But all the draft talk ATM is about St Kilda looking at rucks (Goldstein/Draper) rather than forwards.

Marshall is No 1 ruck ATM because,not only is he the best performing ruckman, there is no other viable option if the the selectors wanted to test the theory of playing two ruck/forwards in tandem.

I've been saying from the start we'd be stupid to move Marshall forward.

And I don't agree it's a good idea to play a ruck who's ordinary forward such as Hickey, just so he can give a bit of relief in the ruck when Marshall needs a spell. I'd prefer Acres to be honest.
Yeh well the development of Acres is enough evidence to me that he definitely should not be playing ruck.

I doubt the 5 minutes he plays in the ruck every now and then is having a huge impact on his development.

His lack of endeavour and energy on the footy field seems like a bigger issue to me.

I can't get over the carry on , as if he's rucking whole games.
Its kind of scary though, if anything happens to Marshall right now, who is our backup? Rowe? Carlisle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back