List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, has real point of difference, speed and vision

As a safe, no fuss, old fashion player, I like Rivers, reads the play like a veteran

Ditto. Quite a few of the W.A. boys were impressive. Suma had them set-up and ready to play.

What do you think of Robertson?

Ditto. Quite a few of the W.A. boys were impressive. Suma had them set-up and ready to play.

What do you think of Robertson?

Robertson is merely an accumulator, although a very good one, but with little hurt factor. What impresses me about Robertson is what he does without the ball.

Mid to latish 1st range in this draft

Edited: Luke Jackson is one that I rated highly from last year, continues to improve for a big guy

Robertson is merely an accumulator, although a very good one, but with little hurt factor. What impresses me about Robertson is what he does without the ball.

Mid to latish 1st range in this draft

I'd like to see a bit more of him, but i sense something about him. Yes he is an accumulator and yes he has rather little hurt factor but i think he has the knack of getting the important possession or the important hand in or the important tackle or the important holdup. And yes he works without the ball too.

I dunno, i guess i'm kinda saying he is a leader style player week to week. Kinda thinkin Sloane style or Ward. Scrappyish but bloody good. Bosses the game. And with smarts and intent, not brawn yet.

Casboult and 1st rounder for Papley and I am very happy.
Wishful thinking. Let me dream though.

Why all the love for Papley and paying a 1st round pick for him as well?

Feels like massive overs to give up Levi and a first round pick for him.

Tom Mitchell went for pick 10, I know which player I would have preferred.

I'd like to see a bit more of him, but i sense something about him. Yes he is an accumulator and yes he has rather little hurt factor but i think he has the knack of getting the important possession or the important hand in or the important tackle or the important holdup. And yes he works without the ball too.

I dunno, i guess i'm kinda saying he is a leader style player week to week. Kinda thinkin Sloane style or Ward. Scrappyish but bloody good. Bosses the game. And with smarts and intent, not brawn yet.

Good analysis and comparisons, also agree regarding leadership qualities

Last edited:

Pick #14 actually, but you can't look at it that way.

Papley is contracted and Sydney would have every right to demand our first, if it does indeed sit in the 12 - 16 range.
Hard to say for sure but if it was a 10, we may even get a little back.

If we want Papley we'll just have to pay and shut up.

Chasing needs more than value. I think Langdon will turn out to be the best value player who is likely to be traded.

Help wanted. Last year WA had an underager off half back. Very poised and skilled. Had a private school/surfer look.
Told myself to keep an eye out for him this year. Name escaped me and I have been too busy to watch any of the champs.

Any idea who it may be and if so how did he go?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure I would be targeting players like Papley, given the cost, when there are so many FA/OOC who could do play similar roles
What quality small forwards are FA/OOC? FA aren't necessarily going to choose us and OOC still have to be traded for.

Cameron went for about pick 12 and is a better trade comparison than Mitchell who at the time I thought went for unders.

I would have had Tom for this too.
Why the love for Papley ?
Watch him play, there is your answer,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Help wanted. Last year WA had an underager off half back. Very poised and skilled. Had a private school/surfer look.
Told myself to keep an eye out for him this year. Name escaped me and I have been too busy to watch any of the champs.

That would be Jeremy Sharp. Was AA last year i think.

He has polarised opinion this year a bit i think, but haven't been following the opinions that closely as yet. Plenty of class not a lot of grunt would be fair i think from my viewing.

That would be Jeremy Sharp. Was AA last year i think.

He has polarised opinion this year a bit i think, but haven't been following the opinions that closely as yet. Plenty of class not a lot of grunt would be fair i think from my viewing.

Thanks TW. That sounds right. Looked very good last year in a vintage draft class.
Interesting player.

not sure how he went probably better to ask Arr0w but i think the guy you're thinking about is jeremy sharp?

Not sure I would be targeting players like Papley, given the cost, when there are so many FA/OOC who could do play similar roles

Who though and how does more mean better?

If Papley did come at that say #14, aren't we better off than fishing around for bargains that may not work...or worse...players we don't need.
So we go to the draft. Then what? Do we just take the best player regardless of the 'type' or do we look for a specific 'type' that may have well been sitting there much later in the draft?

I think it would make for a terrible idea to go to the draft and pick-up let's say another midfielder and then only to have to try and manufacture another role for him, because we're already running quite deep in this department and we didn't get that ready-to-go 24-26 year old premium mid.

Again, I feel it was clear that when we took Stocker, that Adelaides pick was already earmarked for a player. Let's see how that pans out.

Papley is in All Australian form and is only going to get better. Plus he is tough and uncompromising and great for our culture. We don’t need similar roles - we need a gun small forward who complements our talls and doesn’t give a defense a chance. Sure any decent crumber could do well around our talls but with Papley we get a whole new threat and can dominate.

We have three first round picks and probably enough salary cap space for another 3 free agents the next 3 off seasons so we need to spend wisely on All Australian caliber and not fringe players.

D-nJ57uU8AE3IkA.jpg

Is there any truth to the adage that poor outing from Vic metro means shallow draft?

Nothing to do with just metro, when you get the quality we had last year( many of which featured as 17 year olds), it does effect the quality the year after.

I would say that the top 12 from last year would feature heavily this year, if available

This year is very similar to 2016, with a slight downgrade

Quiet early, got a bit of it later on, fumbled a few times (he is normally a one touch player for the Bushrangers) & some of his kicks were more in hope than to advantage. I think a combination of nerves & WA's pressure got the better of him.
Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back