Expansion Giants seek US game for points

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is just no market for the AFL in other countries. Its not a global sport at all, its hardly played anywhere else. Its not like American football or NBA Baskteball who already have massive fanbases across the world.
The idea is to create a fanbase. And I think it can happen, just not in countries that already have mature and crowded sports markets and are already in thrall to some other sport with a passion. Not sure just playing a premiership game overseas is a good idea if people have no idea what it is, grassroots investment may be better.

Like I said earlier, we should be searching for a real up-and-coming country, where an investment in grassroots will go a long way because the game grows while the place is maturing and developing rapidly, like happened with Melbourne. Perhaps one where sport can do a lot to unite fractious groups of people, that'll generate a lot of goodwill like rugby did for South Africa in the 90s.

My suggestion is somewhere in East Africa. Yes, I'm serious. A poor region, but it has some of the fastest growing economies in the world, and since someone above made the point about players with foreign backgrounds being a drawcard in those countries, we have an increasing number of players with East African backgrounds.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
The idea is to create a fanbase. And I think it can happen, just not in countries that already have mature and crowded sports markets and are already in thrall to some other sport with a passion. Not sure just playing a premiership game overseas is a good idea if people have no idea what it is, grassroots investment may be better.

Like I said earlier, we should be searching for a real up-and-coming country, where an investment in grassroots will go a long way because the game grows while the place is maturing and developing rapidly, like happened with Melbourne. Perhaps one where sport can do a lot to unite fractious groups of people, that'll generate a lot of goodwill like rugby did for South Africa in the 90s.

My suggestion is somewhere in East Africa. Yes, I'm serious. A poor region, but it has some of the fastest growing economies in the world, and since someone above made the point about players with foreign backgrounds being a drawcard in those countries, we have an increasing number of players with East African backgrounds.
Much better idea than a mid season trip to the states.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Much better idea than a mid season trip to the states.
So given Perth is closest to East Africa, and would have the least impact on players for travel, you'd be ok with WC playing there?

Personally I wouldn't see it happening, or the AFL agreeing to it. Risk is too high with poor conditions, disease, crime, etc.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So given Perth is closest to East Africa, and would have the least impact on players for travel, you'd be ok with WC playing there?

Personally I wouldn't see it happening, or the AFL agreeing to it. Risk is too high with poor conditions, disease, crime, etc.
You didn't actually read my post, did you?

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)

No i wouldn't like to see WC travel that far, I was agreeing it would be a better place to find willing local participation and supporters.
The fact that we're closure makes no difference to teams travelling there from the east because apparently the travel time between the west and east coast of Australia make little or no difference to the players.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I read somewhere that they were thinking California - I don’t know if that’s the right market - especially not LA, they should play in Texas or a city that isn’t huge but has a big sports following - like OKC or a college football city

Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember back in the 80s it was a novelty for the yanks and the TV audiences were high for Finals and Granny's.

At the minute there is a "silent" interest around the world - particularly in the states

So the notion that it is completely unknown is completely unfounded. There's even a team in the USAFL that have named themselves the giants.

All depends on the risk really
The USAFL is a pretty decent size too with both men and women’s teams. The end of year nationals competition also requires the team at least consist of half US/non-Australian players so it’s not just a bunch of expats having a go.

I am against it as I was GC playing home games in China. Markets in Tasmania and NT were put on the backburner so we could develop the market in Sydney and Gold Coast. I am not a fan of GWS playing in Canberra either.

If clubs were just given licences to do whatever they want then sure, play on the moon for all I care (as long as it's not against my club), but these team were given licences to develop specific markets. It is obvious they are trying to find ways to make more money because the numbers the AFL fabricated to con the clubs to create new teams in Sydney and Gold Coast were as fanciful as unicorns.

If it is just going to take longer and need more money then give them the money and sack everyone involved with costing the league a fortune, just do it properly and stop half-arsing everything. Playing in China did nothing for GC other than embarrass them for getting bent over for their own home games.

Yeah, I know some people will come here and say blah blah blah North get handouts and sell games to Tasmania. Yeah, I know. But we already had a license and a license wasn't given to us specifically to grow the market in a specific region. It is not like there is a shortage of games in Victoria or there is a lack of market share for the AFL in this region.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The USAFL is a pretty decent size too with both men and women’s teams. The end of year nationals competition also requires the team at least consist of half US/non-Australian players so it’s not just a bunch of expats having a go.

Haven't really looked into too much, does that mean 9 and whatever the bench or half the bench too?

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
I read somewhere that they were thinking California - I don’t know if that’s the right market - especially not LA, they should play in Texas or a city that isn’t huge but has a big sports following - like OKC or a college football city
I like your thinking here.
A city like Portland, Oregon is a great candidate. The right size of city as you eluded to, not many teams in the big national comps and a pretty open minded and globally focused demographic.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Ah yes good point. At any one time 9 non-Australians must be on the field.

Gonna have to check it out one day, the standard I mean. I wouldn't be expecting anything better than U12's level (if they still exist?)................ given time though like at least a decade you could reasonably expect it to be on par with strong local or regional leagues like Diamond Valley, Ovens Murray, MPNFL, Geralton etc. But by that time those leagues would've improved again.

IF the participation rates increase, and that's being optimistic............. but although very highly unlikely there is a very skinny chance.

In any case we know that in the states the game is somewhat known to exist and not just among ex pats, hazard a guess like La Crosse is known here.

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gonna have to check it out one day, the standard I mean. I wouldn't be expecting anything better than U12's level (if they still exist?)................ given time though like at least a decade you could reasonably expect it to be on par with strong local or regional leagues like Diamond Valley, Ovens Murray, MPNFL, Geralton etc. But by that time those leagues would've improved again.

IF the participation rates increase, and that's being optimistic............. but although very highly unlikely there is a very skinny chance.

In any case we know that in the states the game is somewhat known to exist and not just among ex pats, hazard a guess like La Crosse is known here.

I went to a watch a game in California (since I'd never seen any AFL live/held a sherrin before). I thought if it looked like fun I might give it a shot myself, because why not play? Well for starters it was 40 degrees C with a hot wind. Then I noticed all the volunteers around the ground, the timekeepers, the goal umpires, were all wearing knee braces or on crutches. After some discussion it developed that they were all injured players with _CL's done over the years. I decided not to play!

Anyway the quality of play is very low, the organization very grassroots. It was still fun to watch. I think you can find some games on youtube though. I know Mason Cox's brothers are all playing somewhere. I don't think most are aware of it right now.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I went to a watch a game in California (since I'd never seen any AFL live/held a sherrin before). I thought if it looked like fun I might give it a shot myself, because why not play? Well for starters it was 40 degrees C with a hot wind. Then I noticed all the volunteers around the ground, the timekeepers, the goal umpires, were all wearing knee braces or on crutches. After some discussion it developed that they were all injured players with _CL's done over the years. I decided not to play!

Anyway the quality of play is very low, the organization very grassroots. It was still fun to watch. I think you can find some games on youtube though. I know Mason Cox's brothers are all playing somewhere. I don't think most are aware of it right now.

Cheers Finn! Where abouts ya from? I'm tippin you're somewhere there from the states?

To the bulk of your post; like anything new that involves a reasonable amount of dexterity and composure it's gonna take a while for the skills to take - if one keeps at it. Being in it's infancy (relatively speaking) that also explains the grass roots character it has over there, I imagine it would be mainly ex pat Aussies that umpire the games, goals, boundaries, tend the scoreboard and play Australian Footy.

Secondly, the injury nature is rather high because of the full contact combative nature of the game at it's fundamental level. However I'd argue it would be similar to if not on less than the brutality of gridiron or rugby union / league - I wouldn't know I haven't participated at any level of those other three.

To put into perspective I've raced motocross at mid level with minor sponsorship (against the B graders - birko stuff) and played senior level footy at local suburban level and I know of others that have also taken part in both.

I consider motocross as a safer sport. Now I know that may sound crazy but motocross is a one way, you're (very) well protected, you know exactly where you're going sport albeit high speed. Where as footy is a 360 degree game with fit, heavy blokes doing sometimes 30+k an hour in different directions where collisions are imminent with zero protection apart from your mouth guard.

Last edited:

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Too far, jetlag etc would be an issue. Not a fan big fan of the China game but China is still a lot closer and only 2 hours behind.

Back