Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Last Samurai.
Seen it several times, but saw it again recently. One of those movies where if it's on I have to watch it.
I think it's chronically under rated, but it's a beautiful film. Picturesque landscapes, great acting, an excellent score from Hans Zimmer.

The Last Samurai.
Seen it several times, but saw it again recently. One of those movies where if it's on I have to watch it.
I think it's chronically under rated, but it's a beautiful film. Picturesque landscapes, great acting, an excellent score from Hans Zimmer.
I liked the movie but the only dark spot i have is the star overshadows the movie to a degree. I am not sure Cruise was the right person in this role (don't get me wrong, did a good job).

The Professor and the Madman.

Set in Victorian times, Mel Gibson plays a professor who takes on the job of compiling the Oxford English Dictionary. Sean Penn plays a former American army surgeon who submitted over 10,000 entries while he was undergoing psychiatric treatment. It was an interesting concept but the movie is pretty uninspiring. 5/10.​

Hotel Mumbai.

The story of the 2008 Islamist terror attack on the Taj Hotel in Mumbai. As you would expect it's pretty brutal but it didn't descent into gratuitousness. The pacing is good, keeping the tension high as the terrorists play a deadly game of hide and seek with the guests. The characters are mostly stereotypes - dumb terrorists, heroic hotel staff, a sleazy Russian businessman. Overall it was quite well done. 7/10.​

Caught up with Green Book. Great movie. There was nothing I did not like about it. Very well acted. Lovely scenery. Narrative and backstories were told with clever exposition. Character development was well paced. Explored serious social issues without being as depressing as a film like Detroit.

10/10

Shaft

I loved Samuel L Jackson's portrayal of the original Shaft character in this. But the son as the millennial data analyst FBI agent was cringingly bad. I only got 40 minutes into it before giving up so I can't give a score.

I watched the original Last House on the Left last night. Released in 1972 this was cutting edge in horror and was heavily censored. However, from a 21st century perspective it is quite tame, and probably shows how the world, the first world at least, has become much more accustomed to depictions of violence. Episodes of CSI or Criminal Minds are more disturbing than this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what you’re saying but Us did make $250m on a $20m budget. It’s a roaring financial success. We’ll see if his box office progressively gets lower.

From an advertising perspective, I think they did well. I found the preview very intriguing and think it drew many potential viewers in. But the movie was overly flat.

Us.

Not good.

Was looking forward to this one as Get Out was fantastic.

Can see what Peele was trying to do but honestly, the writing was just not up to scratch on this one. Plot is riddled with inconsistencies that just do not make sense. Overall, the movie is executed about as well as it possibly could be given the plot at hand.

Booksmart - I'm always a bit of a sucker for coming of age movies but I thought this was pretty great. It is a bit cliched sometimes but mostly it's funny, charming and heartwarming. 8/10

Yesterday (2019)

If something weird happened and suddenly the Beatles never existed and only you knew they did and knew all their songs, why wouldn't you pass them off as your own and make a mint. This is the tale of Yesterday, and an enjoyable story it is. The premise builds tension in the fact that the protagonist a UK/Indian called jack Malik is lauded as possibly the greatest songwriter to have ever lived. He has to deal with the fact these songs don't belong to him and I think the film does deal with this without resorting to clique sci fi plot developments. The love story sub plot is somewhat tedious though, and does resort to clique romcom plot points. My only other feeling about this film is the guy who played John Malik (Himesh Patel) was a pretty mediocre performer musically, and I don't think his versions of such popular Beatles hits really did them any justice. It was more akin to average karaoke than an artistic performance. But it is what it is. Overall, not a bad film but I feel somehow it missed the mark because Himesh Patel who plays Malik just doesn't carry it that well and the more I think about the story I feel they could've done so much better than this. 5/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back