Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

It's definitely a huge rort between the government and the job agencies.

In addition, I believe some of the major international consultancy companies have picked up government contracts for aboriginal affairs such as housing. Multi-hundred million dollar deals for no proven benefit.

The encroaching of transnational corporations with no real regard for the national interest onto traditionally government functions should concern us all.

It will increase the expense of running said functions with likely inferior service, for one thing. Secondly, the national interest and those of corporations are often very different.

Today I rang Centrelink to ask after the progress of my Newstart claim. It's been over 2 months now and not a cent. I get a recorded message. "All of our operators are busy. Goodbye". There was no 'Would you like a callback'? or 'Approximate wait time is x minutes. Would you like to hold'? It was goodbye and it hung up. Unbe-*******-lievable!

Today I rang Centrelink to ask after the progress of my Newstart claim. It's been over 2 months now and not a cent. I get a recorded message. "All of our operators are busy. Goodbye". There was no 'Would you like a callback'? or 'Approximate wait time is x minutes. Would you like to hold'? It was goodbye and it hung up. Unbe-*******-lievable!
Call up the complaints line and they'll put you through onto someone, have received a similar message in the past sorting out my studies, even at 830am, it's pathetic, all designed to delaying resolving whatever issue at hand so people give up.

I'd just go in to your local branch at opening time, bring your relevant documentation and demand to speak to a supervisor. 2+ months waiting on a claim is BS.

Ring the debt line. You will get to speak to a human then they can put you through to another human.

Ring the debt line. You will get to speak to a human then they can put you through to another human.

That’s what ringing Centrelink is like now.

Just getting through on the phone to them is now enough of a challenge, a percentage of people will throw there hands in the air and give up.

I suspect that’s the point though, because that percentage of people giving up is saving the Libs a buck.

That’s what ringing Centrelink is like now.

Just getting through on the phone to them is now enough of a challenge, a percentage of people will throw there hands in the air and give up.

I suspect that’s the point though, because that percentage of people giving up is saving the Libs a buck.
Correct

Delays, cuts to customer service forcing large queues/waiting times to speak to someone, "paperwork errors", they all add up and the masses giving up is the desired affect from the overlords.

Correct

Delays, cuts to customer service forcing large queues/waiting times to speak to someone, "paperwork errors", they all add up and the masses giving up is the desired affect from the overlords.

Wasnt that long back, tens of millions a year trying to ring Centrelink literally couldn’t even get to the switchboard and just got the ‘user busy’ treatment on there phone, because the system was that completely s**t.

We already knew what the Libs stand for, but this is the ALP that supported a raise of Newstart at the election.

What a disgrace.

They said they'd conduct a review and when pressed further Shorten said he wouldn't be having a review to see if they should REDUCE payments.

The ALP are a disgrace.
They played the darned if they do, darned if they don't game on the AA Bill, but today, a day where they could've made a stand to show the working class and the like that they have their best interests at heart, simply gave up and showed they're headed towards LNP Lite.

Albanese has a lot to do to win the respect of rusted on Labor voters imo, would imagine if this continues then the Greens vote will get stronger and the LNP will be handed the keys until about 2028.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They played the darned if they do, darned if they don't game on the AA Bill, but today, a day where they could've made a stand to show the working class and the like that they have their best interests at heart, simply gave up and showed they're headed towards LNP Lite.

Albanese has a lot to do to win the respect of rusted on Labor voters imo, would imagine if this continues then the Greens vote will get stronger and the LNP will be handed the keys until about 2028.

I gave up on this country years ago mate.

Wasnt that long back, tens of millions a year trying to ring Centrelink literally couldn’t even get to the switchboard and just got the ‘user busy’ treatment on there phone, because the system was that completely s**t.
Sorted copped that today, so it's still being used and it's a disgrace

We already knew what the Libs stand for, but this is the ALP that supported a raise of Newstart at the election.

What a disgrace.

Looks like they learnt all the wrong reasons from the ALP's loss.

Speculating about raising Newstart had nothing to do with that. The big-target strategy, the Adani mess, plus the ALP supposedly being too close with the Greens were the most relevant factors.

I'd just like to think of Australia as the United States of Australia these days

We're America-lite.

We're not the US, otherwise there wouldn't be Medicare/Newstart, but we've been going in the wrong direction for quite a while.

Much of our population is functionally illiterate, our state schools provide declining and mediocre educational outcomes relative to other OECD countries, our governments have become increasingly unproductive since Howard's day (echoing a lighter form of legislative gridlock in the US). Plus we import too much trash culture from the US (like our own form of Big Brother).

maybe you should travel overseas to appreciate how ******* good it is here.

Hell, I've been to some holes in my time. I don't want Australia to turn into that; hence why we complain. Vigiliance is important for patriots and I am, after all, a patriot.

Last edited:
Looks like they learnt all the wrong reasons from the ALP's loss.

Speculating about raising Newstart had nothing to do with that. The big-target strategy, the Adani mess, plus the ALP supposedly being too close with the Greens were the most relevant factors.
Funny thing is the Greens are the only ones standing up for the battler currently

Funny thing is the Greens are the only ones standing up for the battler currently

Yeah but their image is such that they're absolute poison to the swinging centre.

Look, even many ALP voters think they're a bit fringe.

They really need to work on their image, but di Natale doesn't seem interested.

maybe you should travel overseas to appreciate how ******* good it is here.

I agree with that sentiment but there are major issues that both main parties are complicit in either not addressing or underhandedly promoting.

All the large corporations have been allowed to lay off local Australian workers and outsource functions to cheap resources overseas. To some extent this is unavoidable.

But both main parties have also allowed record numbers of permanent immigrants and many more on skills shortage visas. Walk into any back office for a large company and you will see predominantly Indians. Even government roles are being resourced by Indian companies who fudge the skills shortage test in order to import and supply cheap labour. The irony/joke is that the market has become so flooded that often hundreds of locally qualified people are applying for roles that are deemed 'skilled shortage'. Wages increases (apart from government jobs) have stagnated.

As for financial assistance and help in finding work - I'm familiar with the Swiss system. It is efficient and it treats people like human beings. It supports people respectfully in their time when they are out of work. On the other hand, Australian Centrelink is a disgrace. The system is impenetrable and very frustrating. I am a calm, intelligent person but there have been times I have been shouting at the computer screen or automated phone menu.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back