35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
DAD was a Hawks supporter. took me to a few games, then when i was in about grade 1 i saw on a Jiffy Donuts bag that Collingwood had won the most premierships at the time (13) and i really liked the name Collingwood. So that was it. Parents also owned a milk bar and i started reading the newspapers and liked the name Mckenna, and remember seeing him sing on Young Talent Time.... and he ended up my first favourite player. I tried to convince a kid at school that he kicked 97 goals in a game but i think he kicked 7 out of 9 that day. It would have been around 71 or 72. I am sure 35Daicos can find that game too!!
Peter McKenna did kick 7 out of 9 in a game against St Kilda in 1972 (at Moorabbin in a 30 point Collingwood win): https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1972/041519720708.html

That may well be the game you're thinking of. There's a few other games (1970-73) that could be 'candidates' but that one appears to be the best 'match'!

Edit: That was the day of the infamous O'Dea hit on John Greening, so I wonder if it was that game after all?

Last edited:

maace

Senior List
Aug 13, 2013
Shanghai
AFL Club
Collingwood
I started barracking for the Pies in 1998-99' (I was about 8) and my dad was trying hard to get me on the Richmond bandwagon (thank god I didn't) .. We were in the transitioning phases of going from Shaw to Malthouse and were bottom of the ladder. Heartbreak and euphoria since then.. I love this club though.

I certainly had zero choice. Dad took us to games, bought everything Collingwood, sent us to get photos with players we didn't even know at kmart. Mum tried to get me to go for carlton but It was too late. .

When I was little dad taught me the words and sent me into mum on mother's day to sing the song for her. There was no going back
Terrific idea.

Will use.

This is a great thread, get a lot of insight into how posters came to love Collingwood and the era they came from. Best thread on the board this year!

sirlothie
The responses here have been amazing to read.
As in history etc
So just BIG THANK YOU to all :thumbsu:
Go Pies

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
And the usual suspects absent....

Hmmm

The Young Chevalier

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2016
Edinburgh
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heart of Midlothian
Born in Scotland to an Australian mum who always spoke of what to me seemed to be this almost mystical team called "Collingwood." Moved to Australia when I was 16 and had no idea what AFL really was. Spent about 4 months watching every game and trying to get a feel for it before finally being convinced by mum to go along with her to a Collingwood v Carlton game. That was when I thought it was probably time to choose a team and went with Collingwood over Carlton.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Born in Scotland to an Australian mum who always spoke of what to me seemed to be this almost mystical team called "Collingwood." Moved to Australia when I was 16 and had no idea what AFL really was. Spent about 4 months watching every game and trying to get a feel for it before finally being convinced by mum to go along with her to a Collingwood v Carlton game. That was when I thought it was probably time to choose a team and went with Collingwood over Carlton.

Sliding doors moment, imagine if you chose Carlton!

When I was about five I asked my father "Who do we barrack for?" After a brief but significant pause he answered "Collingwood."

It was only a few years later that it dawned on me that he had no interest in football, nor any sport, and the pause was to give him time to think of the name of a football club. There were times in the 60s, 70s and 80s when I was not inclined to thank him for his cavalier approach. It was too late, though -- the die was cast early and it would have been unthinkable to even contemplate change.

Happily, the passing years have provided ample redemption for the Father-Son-Club relationship. My second son, who was born overseas and has never lived in Melbourne, is nevertheless a knowledgeable and committed Magpie -- one of his many fine qualities. Sharing this little distraction with him is one of the joys of my life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sliding doors moment, imagine if you chose Carlton!
If Rooster had picked Carlton instead of Collingwood he would have spent his life running around like a chicken without a head.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Peter McKenna did kick 7 out of 9 in a game against St Kilda in 1972 (at Moorabbin in a 30 point Collingwood win): https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1972/041519720708.html

That may well be the game you're thinking of. There's a few other games (1970-73) that could be 'candidates' but that one appears to be the best 'match'!

Edit: That was the day of the infamous O'Dea hit on John Greening, so I wonder if it was that game after all?
i knew you wouldnt let me down! what shocks me is my memory was right!!

Naruhodo

Rookie
Jun 1, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I lived interstate in 1967 and still do.

I commenced supporting a local WAFL team here (and still do) and wanted to support a VFL team.

My grandmother lived in Melbourne with my uncle and his family in Blackburn South and she said, 'he barracks for Collingwood and they're a popular team and they're a good team to support'. So I did.

In 1987, when the Weagles came into the VFL competition, many of my mates abandoned their VFL teams and supported the Weagles. I couldn't. I loved the Pies and watching 'The Winners' on ABC TV and seeing highlights of the Pies games whenever they were on.

Coincidentally, I had another uncle who lived in Manchester and I wanted to support an English soccer club. My grandmother said 'your uncle lives in Manchester and he supports United and they're popular team and they're a good team to support'. So I did.

More coincidence, next weekend the Pies play here on Friday night and United play here on Saturday night. Wow!

I also support the Lakers, I had another uncle who lived in Los Angeles and I wanted to support an NBA club. My grandmother said 'your uncle lives in LA and he supports the Lakers and they're popular team and they're a good team to support'. So I did.

Only kidding! I do support the Lakers but don't have an uncle in LA.;)

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So yes, my daughter hasn’t got a choice (but to barrack for Collingwood). Same went for my girlfriend when she turned into my fiancé (she barracked for Carlton). Now as my wife, her and daughter barrack for Collingwood. No choice otherwise out on the street! Hahaha kidding.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Grandmother on my father's side grew up in Collingwood, she and my grandfather went every week back in the suburban footy days. They went almost every week from around the early 1920's until the early 1990's. Then later on, (early 90s) my brother would take her to Vic Park every second week, I remember him telling me he decided to stop taking her when he realized she couldn't see nor work out what was going on any more and was only reacting to the crowd!

They began taking me every week to the footy from the age of about 4 years old, my father is the odd man out in my family, a cats man, he was desperate for me to barrack for them. I idolized my godfather and he was a Fitzroy supporter, brought me my first pair of footy boots, Ron Barassi 'goal-kickers' that were miles too big for me but I still wore them around the house kicking imaginary goals from impossible angles! He also brought me a Fitzroy jumper and I liked that it was more colourful than the pies or the cats so, at about 4 years old I opted for the Lions. However, I loved going to the footy with my grandparents, we'd get there at about 3/4 time in the ressies and set up shop in our regular place, all the while saying hello to all the 'footy friends' around us who also always sat in the same spot. My grandparents had little fold out chairs that they set up behind the single row of backless, metal bench-seat that ran around the fence. We had a tin of toasted cheese sanwiches my grandfather had made that morning and a thermos of hot tea with milk.

The absolute highlight of my day was the hot dog my grandfather would buy me at half time, I swear I'd dream about how good that was going to taste all day, I seem to recall they cost about 30c each. Aside from Friday fish and chips this was probably the only 'brought' food in my life at the time, I remember they would not buy me a bag of doughnuts out front of the ground on the way home, because at a $1 a bag these were deemed outrageously expensive by my grandfather. Seasons later, the arrival of the peanut man offering peanuts for 10c a bag would eventually present me with another treat.

However, it was the hot dogs that clinched the deal, one day my grandfather bailed me up at Vic Park and laid it our for me, he and my grandmother now took me to the footy every week to see Collingwood and he brought me a hot dog and didn't I therefore think it fair and reasonable to barrack for Collingwood? I was only 4 years old but, I knew an implied threat when I heard one, this could all end tomorrow, no more hot dogs. And so, with due consideration I decided to secure my hot dog supply and follow Collingwood!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back